Cajun Cannon out and Drew Brees in working with Jim Mora (1 Viewer)

So that point kind of falls apart when you look at the reality of Mora's Saints. They lost every playoff game to teams that weren't the 9'ers.....they could go blow to blow with any team in the regular season, that strategy didn't work in the playoffs. IMO that is the single fact that Mora apologists seem to miss or ignore....

Definitely good points and I’m definitely not a Mora apologist. Mora brought something to the Saints that they’d not had in the previous 19 years - discipline, fundamentals and a desire to be more than a laughingstock. However, he certainly saved his worst coaching for the postseason. But again, I think there was definitely a mental hangover to being second fiddle and I think being a perpetual bridesmaid to the 49ers in the NFC West could have played a role in their poor playoff performances.

I just wonder how differently Mora’s tenure would have played out had he not been in the NFC West. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, that was just a small part of his shortcomings. His conservative nature was probably his biggest detriment — but again, he brought a success we’d never seen as a franchise, it just wasn’t enough.

Definitely good points and I’m definitely not a Mora apologist. Mora brought something to the Saints that they’d not had in the previous 19 years - discipline, fundamentals and a desire to be more than a laughingstock. However, he certainly saved his worst coaching for the postseason. But again, I think there was definitely a mental hangover to being second fiddle and I think being a perpetual bridesmaid to the 49ers in the NFC West could have played a role in their poor playoff performances.

I just wonder how differently Mora’s tenure would have played out had he not been in the NFC West. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, that was just a small part of his shortcomings. His conservative nature was probably his biggest detriment — but again, he brought a success we’d never seen as a franchise, it just wasn’t enough.

My bad, didn't mean to imply you were a Mora apologist. I mostly agree but I don't think being in the NFC West had much bearing on the playoff losses....Cheers

Jim Mora was the Les Miles of the saints. Great teams, but head coaching philosophy held them back.

The 1987 49ers had both the #1 Offense and #1 Defense in the NFL, yet the same Vikings that dominated the Saints dominated them too (27-10 in the 3rd quarter when Montana got pulled for Young) even though they had the benefit of a bye week.

In 1988 and 1989, the Saints missed the playoffs because of an equally good Rams team added to the mix. You can make a case for the 1989 49ers as the best team of all time, and it was those Rams that made it to the NFC Championship against them.

The 1990 Saints shouldn't even have been in the playoffs without a QB, yet they made it, but the Steve Walsh trade ruined a chance to add a playmaker that the 1991 and 1992 Saints needed when the defense peaked.

In 1991, injuries to Joe Montana and Steve Young opened the way to a division win, yet they were still a huge threat at 10-6. And now, a Falcons team briefly peaked with the fastest receiving corps in the league. The Saints secondary had too many injuries to keep up, Dome Patrol or not, in the 1991 playoff game.

Finally, 1992, a 49ers team that is among the best ever not to make the Super Bowl, and they swept the Saints by 7 total points with both games coming down to a 4th quarter drive. When the Saints faced the Eagles, they tried to shed the conservative label but still didn't have a big play receiver or strong-enough runner. The offense played lights out the first half but couldn't maintain it (no, they didn't go conservative). Unfortunately, while the Saints had a better record, the Eagles were a more complete team. Cunningham actually got benched for a game or two that year, but when they were on, they were as good as anybody.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom