Cajun Cannon out and Drew Brees in working with Jim Mora (1 Viewer)

In 1998 Mora had

Payton Manning
Marshall Faulk
Marvin Harrison
Jerome Pathon
Ken Dilger
Marcus Pollard

They went 3-13 (yes they were young)

The next year swap Edgerrin James in for Faulk and Terrence Wilkins for Pathon. 13-3 but didn't win a playoff game.

2000 same roster, no playoff win.

2001 they lost Edgerrin James to injury, and replaced him with Marcus Pollard and Dominic Rhodes, but gained Reggie Wayne to go with Marvin Harrison. They went 6-10.

I'm pretty sure that they had Vic Fangio on defense throughout this time.

He had plenty of offensive talent. He, like Marty Schottenheimer, was just too conservative.

By all accounts he was a good person, and a very good regular season coach but Drew Brees wouldn't have won a playoff game with Mora.

Ill take Carl Smith OC if Curtis Johnson is coaching the WRs and Drew Brees is throwing the ball... the Dome Patrol ... tell Drew he only has to put up 20 every game?.. ok

Ill take Carl Smith OC if Curtis Johnson is coaching the WRs and Drew Brees is throwing the ball... the Dome Patrol ... tell Drew he only has to put up 20 every game?.. ok

I know we all hate Carl Smith here. I'm in the same boat with you. But I honestly don't think he was as big of a problem as Mora. If I can remember, when the was OC in Jacksonville, their worse season was 8-8 and they had decent offensive production. He must have something to offer. He's Deshaun Watson's QB coach.

That conservative attitude is also why revisionary history that has Brees teaming with Saban in Miami might not have been as successful as the Paytin era in NO, certainly not for Brees. Saban definitely wouldn’t have Let Brees throw the ball as much as Payton did.

as mentioned we had Carl Smith so there is the first problem.

another is that I'm not sure how well Drew would have done in that era. We are trying to figure out if we would be good enough to beat the 9ers but remember that at that time, all other offenses were light years behind San Fran in the offensive evolution. They recreated it. Unless he had 2 MTs, I think Drew would need guys who knew how to run the timing routes. Like he would need Jerry Rice or somebody who modeled after him.

I know we all hate Carl Smith here. I'm in the same boat with you. But I honestly don't think he was as big of a problem as Mora. If I can remember, when the was OC in Jacksonville, their worse season was 8-8 and they had decent offensive production. He must have something to offer. He's Deshaun Watson's QB coach.

Actually I have the same gut feeling. Carl Smith is a useful tool for Jim Mora apologists. I don't think Mora (who was a known control freak - albeit as many coaches are) would have kept him around so long were he not adhering to an offensive style/plan he agreed with....

Had Mora stepped back and hired a dynamic, aggressive OC I would be willing to bet we would have done more than win a playoff game.

SP did so when he hired Greg Williams (despite how it ended), more recently Coach O did it when he hired Joe Brady and allowed him to totally re-tool the offense.

It takes a humbled, wins > ego approach by a coach to do this, Mora was never humble, he always thought he was right....IMO....

Hebert was Brees in the first half of the Eagles playoff.

Mora would have negated Brees extreme talent with his conservative offense and especially if Carl Smith is calling the plays, Smith is worst OC in the the history of the NFL.

The combination of Jim Mora, Drew Brees, and the Dome Patrol Defense. Would the Saints be able to win a Super Bowl with that combination during that era?
Having Drew Brees, Eric Martin, and Dalton Hillard is a solid Big Three on offense. But would Jim Mora realize that?

1586182592271.png

Not as long as Carl Smith was calling the plays. Run...Run....Short safe pass...punt (unless you are past the 50 yard line then trot out Morten)

No I think you’d never win a super bowl with Mora’s conservative style teams. I don’t think Drew would have the records he has if he had stayed around playing Marty ball either. We have been enjoying something really special when a player with Drew’s skill set meets the mad scientist CSP. I just hope that whoever follows Drew they can have that same chemistry.

In 1998 Mora had

Payton Manning
Marshall Faulk
Marvin Harrison
Jerome Pathon
Ken Dilger
Marcus Pollard

They went 3-13 (yes they were young)

The next year swap Edgerrin James in for Faulk and Terrence Wilkins for Pathon. 13-3 but didn't win a playoff game.

2000 same roster, no playoff win.

2001 they lost Edgerrin James to injury, and replaced him with Marcus Pollard and Dominic Rhodes, but gained Reggie Wayne to go with Marvin Harrison. They went 6-10.

I'm pretty sure that they had Vic Fangio on defense throughout this time.

He had plenty of offensive talent. He, like Marty Schottenheimer, was just too conservative.

By all accounts he was a good person, and a very good regular season coach but Drew Brees wouldn't have won a playoff game with Mora.
Interestingly, the Colts were average on defense in their playoff years and really bad in that final 6-10 year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom