Cal QB Davis Webb no longer a sleeper (1 Viewer)

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This kid is no longer a sleeper.

Cal QB Davis Webb Has Skillset That Should Transfer Well Into NFL

The 6-foot-5, 225-pound Webb started his career as a Red Raider playing for head coach Kliff Kingsbury. While playing at Texas Tech, Webb set seven Big 12 freshman records and four different school marks, including throwing for at least one touchdown in his first 18 career games. He led the Big 12 in passing yards per game (317.4) and was named the offensive MVP of the Holiday Bowl after leading Texas Tech to a victory over #14 Arizona State by passing for 403 yards and four touchdowns.

As a quarterback prospect, what immediately jumps out at you in regards to Webb is his size and arm talent. He possesses the prototypical size and length, along with a strong arm that can make NFL-type throws. Some of the throws he can make, like throwing the ball on a rope from the boundary hash all the way to the opposite sideline outside the numbers, a number of current NFL QB’s don’t even attempt.

Unlike some of his spread predecessors Webb possesses the size, arm-strength, and feel for the passing game that should excite the NFL. How he finishes up this season at Cal and how he performs during the pre-draft process will determine where he ends up going in the draft. However, with his skillset, it wouldn’t surprise me if Webb finds himself higher on a number of teams’ draft boards than many would have anticipated at this point.

Here's some video.

davis-webb-vs-san-diego-state-2016/

No doubt the arm talent is there. He looks like Tom Brady when he has a clean pocket. Looks like Marsha Brady when he doesn't.

The arm reminds me of Zach Mettenberger. The decision making reminds me of Jay Cutler. Very careless with the ball.

He's the type of guy that if he can put it all together could do very well in the NFL. I'm not so sure he'll ever be able to get his decision making to the level needed to play in the NFL though. I've watched a couple of his games and it seems like 1 in 5 throws either gets picked, should have been picked or is just a horrible decision. That needs to be closer to 1 in 25. Huge gap there.

Agree. High ceiling, low floor. Kid could be awful, or incredible.

I'd love to red shirt him for 3 or 4 years behind Drew. He'd have a chance to learn from the best. No hurry.

I see a major weakness he needs to work on... touch. His screens have the same trajectory as his 20 yard outs. Interestingly, he uses pretty good touch on deep balls.

I also call his judgment and accuracy into question. Too many INT's. And as we know, highlight films almost never include any inaccurate throws.

Highlight film is a little rough to determine whether he is checking down quickly through progressions.

His O-line makes it hard to judge his pocket skills and presence.

His release is 1 of the quickest I have seen in recent years.

I do hope we're scouting him, he deserves a very close look.

Maybe. Maybe not. Drew Brees got injured and replaced too.

The injury is 1 red flag, the fact he quit the team and went to Cal may or may not be another flag. It can mean that he is really determined to be a Pro, but it can also mean he is a quitter (not very loyal to his team).

I'll catch every Cal game I can, this kid is interesting.

Thanks! Yes, please watch what you can. I can only see what I can find on DraftBreakdown and Youtube, which isn't enough.

Love to know what you find out.

wow, love to draft that kid, but also want to sign Drew to a 5 year deal

Goff has proved they don't just produce system QBs.

wow, love to draft that kid, but also want to sign Drew to a 5 year deal

tumblr_inline_n3ghj9J3u91qcklud.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom