California and Homeschooling (1 Viewer)

i am not a fan of homeschooling, but it should certainly be a parent's choice......

The government should absolutely butt out. I was homeschooled 4th-12th grades, and I turned out more or less OK. Well, that's debatable, but I doubt a regular school would have helped much!

What makes this even worse is California schools are some of the worst and most over crowded in the country.

Yeah, let's dump more kids into those rat holes.

Although not a teacher, I deal with high school kids on a daily basis, mostly athletes. I do not have much contact with many home schooled kids but we do some pre-participation physicals for a local boy scout troop where about 90% are home schooled. The thing I notice about the home schoolers is their lack of social skills...and I'm not talking about being shy. Kids that won't look you in the eye, will look at their mother when you ask them about their knee,,,It almost seems like an old dog thats been beaten all their lives. No way I would home school my kids.

Parents can be criminally prosecuted for failing to comply, Croskey said.
"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation as a means of protecting the public welfare," the judge wrote, quoting from a 1961 case on a similar issue.

nice....

Maybe if a state wants kids to go to public school, they should eliminate all the shootings, drugs, bomb threats and killings to give the parents a decent second choice.

This appears to be a case of the government going scorched earth when a simple tweaking fo the home school policy is all that was needed.

In my opinion, The state should have attempted to crack down on the sunland school program as that school program was apparenty the root of the problem based on how the home school program works in Cal. If programs like Sunland faced termination of their state license by poor performing home school parents then it would be their interest to not accpet those parents for their home school program.

Problem solved. A few parents mad but the majority have see no change.

Unless i read the article incorrectly, this isn't a new law thus isn't a change in policy -- just basically a way of saying "the existing law says X and we haven't really been enforcing it, but the law is clear."

Like old-school laws that most people don't know exist until someone uses it to make and win their case. Usually those laws get changed pretty quickly thereafter... I wonder if that will be the case here.

Of course, this is a troubling statement unless I misunderstand

Heimov said her organization's chief concern was not the quality of the children's education, but their "being in a place daily where they would be observed by people who had a duty to ensure their ongoing safety."

Last edited:
What makes this even worse is California schools are some of the worst and most over crowded in the country.

Yeah, let's dump more kids into those rat holes.

as a employee of a school district in California, maintenance not teaching I could not agree with you more. our state budget for education is bigger than some states whole budget yet the kids are failing at a faster rate than ever before. one of the biggest problems here is the fact that we can't weed out the bad kids and teachers. we are forced to educate kids that are criminal, repeat offenders that should be tossed out of school and teachers who are just pulling a paycheck. now I know there are a few teachers here and I'm not trying to demean any of them. I think yall are payed way to little and have to deal with stuff you shouldn't have to but you know that bad teachers are hard to get rid of. there needs to be discipline leveled on these kids, smack them with a piece of oak, thats what I got when I did something bad at school and get rid of the teachers who time after time have kids who have low grades.

The government should absolutely butt out. I was homeschooled 4th-12th grades, and I turned out more or less OK. Well, that's debatable, but I doubt a regular school would have helped much!

TulsaSaint. My kid is only one year old, but in the coming years, we're going to have to figure out what to do as far as schooling for him. We'd like to be able to bounce back and forth between the US and Brazil, but their school systems are vastly different. Do you think homeschooling is an option for some years or for grade placement purposes?

Yet you're camping out in cold weather for days to see a bball game. :dunno:

The State should butt out and allow the parents the opportunity if they feel so inclined.

Although not a teacher, I deal with high school kids on a daily basis, mostly athletes. I do not have much contact with many home schooled kids but we do some pre-participation physicals for a local boy scout troop where about 90% are home schooled. The thing I notice about the home schoolers is their lack of social skills...and I'm not talking about being shy. Kids that won't look you in the eye, will look at their mother when you ask them about their knee,,,It almost seems like an old dog thats been beaten all their lives. No way I would home school my kids.

Nice generalizations. :9:

Heimov said her organization's chief concern was not the quality of the children's education, but their "being in a place daily where they would be observed by people who had a duty to ensure their ongoing safety."

WOW, that is messed up. I know the re-education system is warped and minipulating, but ..............

School shootings and fights will be avoided for the most part with home schooling. It's probably MUCH safer at home.

Nice generalizations. :9:

We've been providing these services to them for 10 yrs and it's the same exact personalities every year and most list home schooled on their form. So would it be safe to say that many, not all, tend to be a little sheltered?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom