California and the possibility of splitting from the US (1 Viewer)

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is California splitting away? Group believes California should form its own nation

No I don't believe it will really happen. What I'd like to talk about is the potential of it happening.

I've been told that AZ controls the electricity to Southern CA, and we know that they get lots of water funneled off from other states via aqua ducts.

My question for you guys is could this ever be possible? What would the world look like then?

That's it? I'm asking for an honest discussion about what the US would look like without CA.

Think about this, what would our elections look like without CA? What about the amount of food that we get from CA? What about Northern CA that is traditionally conservative?

Again I really don't see it happening, but I thought it would be worthy of discussing. We have a few members here from Cali. Do you guys have any thoughts on it?

That's it? I'm asking for an honest discussion about what the US would look like without CA.

Think about this, what would our elections look like without CA? What about the amount of food that we get from CA? What about Northern CA that is traditionally conservative?

Again I really don't see it happening, but I thought it would be worthy of discussing. We have a few members here from Cali. Do you guys have any thoughts on it?

8 yrs ago it was Texas - not sure if the actual nuts n bolts is interesting in anything more than a thought puzzle
but the ideas of political divorce?

as Rs are demonstrating in NC (which is an extension of gerrymandering, voter suppression fake news and even SCOTUS in '00), republicans have no issue whatsoever in gaming the system and we can pretty easily chart the adverse effects
and while i honestly believe the country would be in a much better place if the opposite were taking place (if progressives were in charge, we'd inch closer to a Nordic type govt, or at least Dutch - with reactionaries in charge we keep creeping to some Saudi/N Korean governing principle) - what i would actually prefer is if we had an honest battle of the issues

with debate and compromise, you tend to focus on the things that actually matter to you - lacking that, it's just an unrelenting stream of power plays

Isn't CA like the 5th-6th largest economy in the world? I'd say that if CA would leave, there would be a definite impact on the rest of the country. CA is dependent on other states for water, but the country is hugely dependent on CA for food. Things that would really get interesting would be stuff like the tech industry and entertainment industry. I wonder how the cost of getting iphones built in china would change w/o the federal govt in control and if that would cause the feds to enact some crazy taxes on said phones in return for them to be sold in the other 49 states. Also, filming movies outside of CA i.e. LA/GA, there would probably be some significant changes to how that's done monetarily... This is not an easy topic to navigate lol, so many variables...

What would happen if California had a 'Calexit' - Business Insider

I would have to think our elections would be incredible if CA were to break away. However what I would be more concerned about is what would happen to the NFL, would that open the door for other countries to create teams and expand the product? Or would the NFL have to change the formula since 4 teams are now in a different country? The things that haunt me.

Just wait . It'll fall into the sea soon enough ...

It is a complicated proposition. As an earlier comment illustrated, the states are highly interconnected through resources, business, etc. The US is dependent on CA for many things not least the silicon valley, and the federal government investment. I don't think the feds would allow willingly that investment to just go away. Hypothetically, the country would be less negatively impacted if a state like TX left for the sole reason that the fed puts more money than TX contributes to the whole. (Why Do Some States Feast on Federal Spending, Not Others? | Tax Foundation) Then you have the precedent set through the civil war. No easy answer.

After America did everything it possibly could to ensure a peaceful dissolution of the Soviet Union, I'm sure Russia would just love to return the favor and threaten the US if it attempted to use Civil War precedent to keep California from leaving.

I generally would not care if a state wanted to leave, but a state that gives us most access to the Pacific Ocean is not allowed to take the coast with it.

Is California splitting away? Group believes California should form its own nation

No I don't believe it will really happen. What I'd like to talk about is the potential of it happening.

I've been told that AZ controls the electricity to Southern CA, and we know that they get lots of water funneled off from other states via aqua ducts.

My question for you guys is could this ever be possible? What would the world look like then?

Let them go.... Tariff the hell out of anything that goes out of or goes into, and when the wildfires happen, let their own air force supply water drops...

BTW, It will never happen... That particular group is living in a fantasy world...

Becoming politically independent doesn't mean you have to stop exchanging resources like a lot of folks seem to imply.

"Oh, they're no longer a part of the Union, so we can't trade with them!" Why is it that people seem to think that?

And, no, I don't think CA is going to become independent anytime soon, but it'd be cool if it did. The presumption that it would negatively impact the economy is without merit.

It's like OMG! This group doesn't want to live under under U.S. Federal law!!! The nerve!! Wanting to be independent, psshht...

Tariff the hell out of anything that goes out of or goes into

Why would you want to do that? Cause you want people to have to pay more for stuff? That's not very nice. Seems kinda sycophantic to me...what you'd gain from it, I don't know...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom