California city bans smoking virtually everywhere (1 Viewer)

Saint Mike

Are you a Who Dat?
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Breaking News: Belmont may ban almost all smoking

By Will Oremus

Citing mounting evidence that second-hand smoke is harmful, Belmont is pursuing a citywide smoking ban that appears to be unprecedented nationally.

At a meeting late Tuesday night, the City Council told staff to draft an ordinance making it illegal to smoke anywhere except in detached single-family homes. That includes parks, sidewalks, and even inside cars.

http://www.paloaltodailynews.com/article/2006-11-15-bm-smoking
--------------------------------------------------------------

And the government nannies keep on. I hope Belmont is also considering banning alcohol consumption and internal combustion engines.

there was a town house complex in the news this week that stated you cant smoke in your house, the owners sued, case was thrown out by judge

--------------------

Attachments

• 24818BP~The-Simpsons-Nelson-Haha-Posters.jpg
    24818BP~The-Simpsons-Nelson-Haha-Posters.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 78
I can see the signs as you enter the town:
"Welcome to The People's Republic of Belmont!"

Indeed.

"Where ze people, zey are healthy and ze trains...well, ver're vorkink on it."

And the government nannies keep on. I hope Belmont is also considering banning alcohol consumption and internal combustion engines.

You can't second hand drunk somebody.... don't bring up drinking and driving, that's an effect way beyond second hand.
And when the cigarette becomes as necessary a tool in today's society as a car, you let me know..... and no, just because you're addicted doesn't make it necessary.

Way to strawman it out though....

:interrogations:

I didnt even know there was a California City.
Is it in Missouri?

Go ahead... light up another one

Breaking News: Belmont may ban almost all smoking

By Will Oremus

Citing mounting evidence that second-hand smoke is harmful, Belmont is pursuing a citywide smoking ban that appears to be unprecedented nationally.

At a meeting late Tuesday night, the City Council told staff to draft an ordinance making it illegal to smoke anywhere except in detached single-family homes. That includes parks, sidewalks, and even inside cars.

http://www.paloaltodailynews.com/article/2006-11-15-bm-smoking

As it should be.....The only place you should be allowed to smoke, is in your own smoke filled nasty home.

Slightly off topic...

I have a theory that people who smoke are less likely to need depression & anxiety drugs such as Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Paxil or Wellbutrin. I wonder if any reserach has ever been done in that area? To be meaningful, the research would have to be filtered to identify smokers who aren't under stress and pressure from their family/friends or employers to quit smoking.

Smoking is just like any other garden variety legislative issue like property tax, bike paths, etc. All you need is a majority or vote of the appropriate legislative body to regulate it.

Last edited:
The law says I can't smoke outside, wife says no way am I smoking inside. So when I want a cigar, who do I cross? An asinine unenforcable law or my wife? Pretty easy call to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom