California hits 130 degrees in Death Valley (1 Viewer)

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

Record heat..

I used to think I hated the cold and could at least work with the heat because I was used to it being from the South. I think I'm gonna take that back. Frick walking around in an oven..or sauna..

Record heat..

I used to think I hated the cold and could at least work with the heat because I was used to it being from the South. I think I'm gonna take that back. Frick walking around in an oven..or sauna..

Yep. Summers in Iraq would routinely get into the 120s and you wouldn't even sweat. It would evaporate as soon as it was on your skin. That's why Arabs wear long sleeves and robes. You would constantly have to remember to drink as much water as you could. I drank 8 liters of water one day and I was still peeing yellow. And when the wind blows, it takes your breath away because it feels like someone turned on a hair dryer and is pointing it directly at your face.

I saw that it was 99 in Seattle yesterday.

It has actually been slightly milder than usual in Charleston. We walked around downtown yesterday and it was 84 at 1pm. I don't think it got more than 86 or so - and nice breeze.

I can't imagine Baghdad - sounds like they're having a rough time.

Yep. Summers in Iraq would routinely get into the 120s and you wouldn't even sweat. It would evaporate as soon as it was on your skin. That's why Arabs wear long sleeves and robes. You would constantly have to remember to drink as much water as you could. I drank 8 liters of water one day and I was still peeing yellow. And when the wind blows, it takes your breath away because it feels like someone turned on a hair dryer and is pointing it directly at your face.

We southerners like to say it's not the heat, it's the humidity. The truth is dry heat is far more deadly. My Dad visited Death Valley
while on a west coast vacation. It was 110 at 9am. He said there is no comparison.

We southerners like to say it's not the heat, it's the humidity. The truth is dry heat is far more deadly. My Dad visited Death Valley
while on a west coast vacation. It was 110 at 9am. He said there is no comparison.

I grew up in New Orleans. If you held a gun to my head and told me to choose, I'd choose desert heat every time. I know how to survive in it, but I can see the average person being ignorant about it.

California is a strange place. A few weeks ago it was in the 50s & 60s around Harding Park in San Francisco during the PGA Championship golf tournament. And now a bunch of the state is on fire again, with the possibility of 'fire tornadoes' ripping through the countryside. :eek:

Does California ever stop burning? :unsure:

California is a strange place. A few weeks ago it was in the 50s & 60s around Harding Park in San Francisco during the PGA Championship golf tournament. And now a bunch of the state is on fire again, with the possibility of 'fire tornadoes' ripping through the countryside. :eek:

Yes, when people stop being stupid and setting it on fire.

I grew up in New Orleans. If you held a gun to my head and told me to choose, I'd choose desert heat every time. I know how to survive in it, but I can see the average person being ignorant about it.

Oh I would too. It 'feels' better because you aren't pouring sweat, but you'll lose water rapidly just like with a thick humid heat. I remember hiking a trail out in Big Bend on the border of Mexico a few years back. Took just one bottle of water for a 3 mile hike. Temps were 110-115. I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't stopped and rested underneath a few boulders on the way back. Felt like I was about to faint and my mouth was like sandpaper. Desert heat will sneak up on you every time and twice on Tuesday.

Death Valley hits the 120's on a daily basis during the summer months. Truckee,a mountain town just 280 miles away the temps
get into the 30's and 40/s at night during the summer. It really is a unique state

Yes, when people stop being stupid and setting it on fire.
Well I suppose it's better that the fires are coming from people than from some natural source.
Too bad most of the pyromaniacs live in such a crispy state.

My wife liked to always say "but it's a dry heat" ... I said yea, at least here, you don't literally feel like you're burning. It was only 112 when we went to Death Valley last year in June. The feeling of the burn on your skin in the sand dunes was weird.

I remember a few years ago going to Zion National Park in Utah. The temperature was around 116 that day. It was pretty miserable. However, the worst part was when we stopped at the Hoover Dam on the way back from the Grand Canyon a few days later. It's only about a 200 mile difference, and about 10 degrees difference, but for whatever reason, as soon as we got out of the car at Hoover, it was like the air and moisture in your body was instantly evaporated. When you're in an area of high humidity, it's often like walking in a constant warm mist. But this was like walking knee deep in sand. Your body just didn't even want to move.

Death Valley hits the 120's on a daily basis during the summer months. Truckee,a mountain town just 280 miles away the temps
get into the 30's and 40/s at night during the summer. It really is a unique state

I remember when we drove from Yosemite to Death valley. Woke up to 38 degrees that morning and after about a five hour drive it was 124.

New Orleans heat is so bad because your body's natural cooling mechanism is ruined by the humidity. If the sweat can't evaporate, you can't cool off. Dessert heat has the sweat gone instantly so it cools you off some. As long as you're vigilant about fluid intake, you're good to go in dessert heat. Only been to the dessert twice though, so YMMV.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom