California Signs The Fair Pay To Play Act (1 Viewer)

That's great and all, but that doesn't change the fact that if they do make money the NCAA is still going to declare them ineligible to participate in amateur sports.

That's great and all, but that doesn't change the fact that if they do make money the NCAA is still going to declare them ineligible to participate in amateur sports.

And then the lawsuits will follow. There may be an anti-trust angle to this. I'd bet the courts will probably side with the NCAA though

And then the lawsuits will follow. There may be an anti-trust angle to this. I'd bet the courts will probably side with the NCAA though
Maybe. I'm far from able to predict how all this falls. There is a middle ground here somewhere. I certainly understand the arguments, but good things rarely come from 19 year old children with large sums of disposable income.

Maybe. I'm far from able to predict how all this falls. There is a middle ground here somewhere. I certainly understand the arguments, but good things rarely come from 19 year old children with large sums of disposable income.

If those 19 year olds are putting their bodies on the line in very physical sports for those schools, then its nobody's business how much those 19 year olds have in their bank accounts. They put in the work. Plus the fact that most of the top recruits already get what they want under the table. Time to stop this foolishness.

And these other states better get on board before USC/UCLA/Stanford etc has the greatest recruiting classes in the history of college sports in 2023.

If those 19 year olds are putting their bodies on the line in very physical sports for those schools, then its nobody's business how much those 19 year olds have in their bank accounts. They put in the work. Plus the fact that most of the top recruits already get what they want under the table. Time to stop this foolishness.
First of all, let's not exagerrate. No one is "putting their bodies on the line" here. Sure injuries can occur, just like everyone in every job. Risks certainly vary, but Suzy with the 4.0 who trips down a flight of stairs isn't getting the best medicine and rehab the school can afford. The schools will provide care for that. A kid playing four years of collegiate football, basketball, track, etc is not suffering irreparable harm to their bodies. That occurs in the professional leagues and college sports is but a small part of the cumulative effect.

Make no mistake, this is about greed and money. This all has snowballed from when Ed O'Bannon's likeness was used without his permission because someone else got greedy. When money becomes the sole focus of sports, then it becomes a terrible product. This is exactly why I prefer college to professional football.

It's a ****ed up situation. I don't know the answer, but it's not start throwing money at 19 year old kids. That never solved any problem. There is a healthy medium somewhere. Perhaps they can max out what kids earn or put everything over $XXX.00 into a trust to be accessed later. I don't know, but unfettered access will ruin the sport the way it has ruined the NBA and NFL.

And these other states better get on board before USC/UCLA/Stanford etc has the greatest recruiting classes in the history of college sports in 2023.
Again, this doesn't any really change anything. California players can go ahead and sign endorsement deals with Mike, Gatorade, etc but as soon as they cash the check, the NCAA will rule them ineligible. Those schools will be forced to vacate their games.

So because the NCAA signs all the TV deals, where you thinking the money goes to? the president of the NCAA?? I am sure its divided out amongst all schools in the NCAA not some investors or board members.... regardless we start paying kids that play sports in school whats next High School PEE WEE.... this will ruin amateur sports....

First of all, let's not exagerrate. No one is "putting their bodies on the line" here. Sure injuries can occur, just like everyone in every job. Risks certainly vary, but Suzy with the 4.0 who trips down a flight of stairs isn't getting the best medicine and rehab the school can afford. The schools will provide care for that. A kid playing four years of collegiate football, basketball, track, etc is not suffering irreparable harm to their bodies. That occurs in the professional leagues and college sports is but a small part of the cumulative effect.

Beyond silly. Ask Tyrone Prothro what he thinks about the above.

Make no mistake, this is about greed and money. This all has snowballed from when Ed O'Bannon's likeness was used without his permission because someone else got greedy. When money becomes the sole focus of sports

Bless your heart. LOL at the notion that money isn't already the sole focus of college sports. It's just that the revenue generating workers aren't sharing in any of the money.

It's a ****ed up situation. I don't know the answer, but it's not start throwing money at 19 year old kids. That never solved any problem. There is a healthy medium somewhere. Perhaps they can max out what kids earn or put everything over $XXX.00 into a trust to be accessed later. I don't know, but unfettered access will ruin the sport the way it has ruined the NBA and NFL.

The NBA is at, by far, its most successful period in its history.

So because the NCAA signs all the TV deals, where you thinking the money goes to? the president of the NCAA?? I am sure its divided out amongst all schools in the NCAA not some investors or board members.... regardless we start paying kids that play sports in school whats next High School PEE WEE.... this will ruin amateur sports....
When you start broadcasting games nationally, it changes.
Everyone gets to profit from college football. The NCAA, the stadiums, the schools. The neighborhood bar that shows the games every Saturday makes more from college football than the players.

I am by far not an expert on the subject and my ideas are reinforced only by anecdotal evidence. I recognize this does not make me an authority. As the father of a former collegiate athlete, I can say definitively that not every college athlete is motivated by money. There are hundreds of collegiate sports programs and thousands of athletes, most of which will never even get a whiff of a pro contract. Most appreciate the opportunity for a degree with no school debts. Very few will play professionally and for the most part, kids know this is simply the last chance they have to play the game they love at a high level. My daughter is one of them and she has competed and worked with dozens just like her. It's pretty rare in our shared experience to find a kid with legit pro potential, much less actually make it.

I find it sad that people have become so jaded as to think that the singular motivation of collegiate athletes is simply cash.

Tyrann spoke on the matter today and I typically find his perspective to be an honest one...

Not sure what is greater with this question: the lack of intelligence or the lack of relevance.

You leveraged your kid being a college athlete as some sort of proof of subject matter expertise. We're talking about football. I'll take your dodge as a no.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom