Call me crazy but what about Brees as coach (mod edit) (1 Viewer)

Look at Mccown about to get the Texans gig. Has he ever coached anything before? Id take Brees in a heartbeat.

Brees is a fighter, a perfectionist, game planner and a winner. I always think he has great qualities and one that can round up his troops like he did with his pre game chants no athletes can come close too.

Brees that that IT factor to be a great coach, just not right now but I can definitely see him coaching down the road. Just look at Frank Reich at Indy as an example. Former player turned into a good coach.

I think that when Drew has had more time to spend with his family, he'll get the itch to be closer to the game again and be willing to put in the time that it takes to be a coach. He definitely put in coach-level time and preparation as a player and was incredibly close with a hell of a mentor in CSP. His work ethic, preparation, advanced understanding of the game, and charisma would give him a chance to be successful.

Having said all that, if/when he steps into coaching, he'll have to be a position coach and coordinator, and show success in those roles to be a head coach. So considering where his personal life is right now, and what he has not yet accomplished professionally as a coach, it would be crazy to consider him as a candidate for the Saints HC position.

It would be cool...someday.

Imaging Drew as QB coach talking to a young QB.

Drew: did you see that hole between two LBs and that safety?
QB: what hole?
Drew: it’s there. Just let the damn thing go.

Yeah, it won’t work. Would be like MJ coaching basketball or WG coaching hockey.

I dont think that is too crazy. I think Peyton Manning could walk in and be a head coach immediately. I think Tony Romo knows the game better than most coaches. He knows it more than Mike Mccarthy, which was on display during the Playoff game. Aaron Glenn, Matt Campbell, Demeco Ryans, Jerod Meyo have moved up the ranks quickly. Look at all the young coaches, Klingsbury, Brandon Staley, Shanahan, Mcvay, and Kevin O Connell is getting looked at right now. The game is not like it was 10 years ago. Some of the motion through RPO's looks like Canadian football. The college game is now in the NFL. College should look to moving the hash marks so the game translates to the NFL.
Predicting the next play as an announcer and/or being good at reading defenses is a heck of a lot different than managing more than a hundred people, many of them millionaires, while creating all the processes and plans needed to successfully lead/navigate the entertainment/performance side of a multibillion dollar sports franchise.

Predicting the next play as an announcer and/or being good at reading defenses is a heck of a lot different than managing more than a hundred people, many of them millionaires, while creating all the processes and plans needed to successfully lead/navigate the entertainment/performance side of a multibillion dollar sports franchise.
I understand what you are saying. I am not saying your wrong. I dont think you are giving Romo the credit he deserves. This has been said by players over twitter. The man is intelligent, he is a scratch golfer, and I was only using him as an example. In reference to Brees, listen to the podcast with Cam Jordan, and Mark Ingram have him as a guest. I am not saying it will happen, he would be successful. I dont think it is so farfetched. he is a leader of men. I also look at references in the NBA as well. There has been success with former players going into Head Coaching. I am just looking at many variables when i say it is not as crazy as it sounds. He had the best Offensive mind in the game in his ear for 16 years. that is better than being a quality controls coach.

Is there really a need for ANOTHER thread, as to whom should be considered as the next Saints head coach?

Great players don’t usually coach. They get paid the big bucks to sit in front of a camera once a week. And Brees doesn’t want to put in the time that coaching requires. He’d have less time with his family than he did as a player. And let’s say he was a bad coach. Can you fire Drew Brees in New Orleans?

Drew is not going into coaching. Please stop this non-sense pipe dream.

QB coach, sure, but not HC...yet. I could see Drew one day being one of those new, young HCs that are a hot commodity, after several years as OC.

Another thing----ya'll really think Brittany's moving back to NO? If / when the Chargers are shipped back to San Diego, you might see Brees sniffing around their headquarter

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom