Call me crazy (& I know some will) but PLay Taysom and Brees side by side (1 Viewer)

Spylake

Banned
Reaction score
Before you just knee jerk face palm me hear me out ...

• In shot gun they line up side by side.
  • Either can receive the snap
  • If it is Drew then Taysom can be a blocker, a back field receiver, a screen receiver, or a trick play passer and more
  • If it is Taysom it can be a designed QB keep, a pass, a deep pass, or another trick (flea flicker ) to Drew and more
  • The advantages
    • Better pass protection for drew to do his thing
    • Drew's arm strength allows teams to tighten up their coverage and pressure more, the threat of Taysom's arm stretches the coverage down field again.
    • Imagine if you could show every offensive alignment for every play. While this does not achieve that, it come a lot closer, Taysom's arm and legs greatly expands the options that the defense has to account for. Call it a pre-snap read option alignment
Football that stays the same becomes boring and boring is greatest danger to the game.

Ok you can slam me now.

It would be a turkey shoot for lineman and LB on Brees

It's why you always see Brees spread out wide out of harm's way on these trick plays, Payton knows he would get killed

It would be a turkey shoot for lineman and LB on Brees
Maybe some in the Saints FO agree with those on here who think Drew is done and the reason for all of our failures this past year but none of the success and this would be a way for them to force him into retirement via pulverization and injury settlement.

I think it could work if Taysom immediately takes off if he gets the snap. At the very least, any pass attempts by Taysom would be after an immediate rollout. Drew can simple take himself out of the play at the snap. I was hoping to see some form of creativity like this from Payton this post season.

If Taysom gets the snap you're gonna leave Drew in the backfield to get creamed possibly?

Creamed by who? If he does not have the ball and is not blocking what contact is legal? I'm confused? Can you tackle someone that does not have the ball and is not in the process of gaining possession i.e. a fumble?

Creamed by who? If he does not have the ball and is not blocking what contact is legal? I'm confused? Can you tackle someone that does not have the ball and is not in the process of gaining possession i.e. a fumble?

Yes he would be a blocker essentially and become fair game.

In the Minny game, there was a double end around or something that the Vikings did and it left Cousins as one of the lead blockers. And none of our guys made contact with him. It didn’t make any sense. It was a free chance to obliterate him and we didn’t take it

Unfortunately, you’d be playing 10 on 11 on plays in which Brees isn’t involved.

Can’t use him as a blocker. Once defenses key in on the play, you’re at an immediate disadvantage.

Yes he would be a blocker essentially and become fair game.

In the Minny game, there was a double end around or something that the Vikings did and it left Cousins as one of the lead blockers. And none of our guys made contact with him. It didn’t make any sense. It was a free chance to obliterate him and we didn’t take it

I don't know why he wasn't given a solid check

How about you just make Taysom Hill your QB and put a RB in the backfield with him?

You are assuming that Drew is no longer brings a complementary skill set to the table. Obviously this is a half way measure, call it a soft transition. Drew is still the best at reading defenses calling plays and for accurate passes withing his range. My warped theory is that Taysom's and Drew's skill sets are complementary. Drew's legs and arm have lost a step. Taysom's presence restores some of that.

I'm arguing that together they are better than either is alone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom