Calls for an "immediate impact" at CB through the draft. Do they make sense? (1 Viewer)

Specifically, Hall contributed the most TD's given up in the league, I think, even surpassing Jason David.

Yeah, but what is one thing that the Bengals and the Saints have in common? NO PASS RUSH! Any safety (yes, even champ bailey and asante samuel) would struggle behind the pass rush of the Saints or Bengals...

If a rookie db will be drafted high he will have all the opportunity to start. It is a difference in being a starter and earning the position and being an impact. Most are brought on slow. CB has been a position in most cases where they don't come out like gangbusters,but to start as a nickel at best an work your way into that role can happen. I just want the best players on the field which hasn't always been the case at times in our secondary.

2006 - Tye Hill started 10 games for the Rams and Antonio Cromartie, in his 2nd year, is one of the top CB's in the league. Jonathan Joseph for the Bengals started 9 games as a rookie.
2007 - Revis for the Jets, Leon Hall for the Bengals, and Aaron Ross for the Giants all started and contributed last season to their teams.
I do agree that adding Gay, Young, and David in the last 2 off seasons has made a roster spot at that position hard to secure, but I don't think it's a lock to say a rookie could not contribute to our Defense.

My thoughts exactly. Well said..DRC has talents you cant learn. The rest of the talents needed to become a great NFL, CB Payton and the staff can certainly teach him. I also think Rivers has some raw talent to display in the NFL, and in the unlikely event that dorsey or ellis fall they are the obvious 10th pick choice. Other than that I think the lito sheppard trade up to us for the 10th pick would be another great move. Rivers probably will not be at 19, but if he isnt there are many more to choose from and we would have a starter in CB and we could still become the new dome patrol with Mayo in the mix! Go Saints!:worthy:

My thoughts exactly. Well said..DRC has talents you cant learn. The rest of the talents needed to become a great NFL, CB Payton and the staff can certainly teach him. I also think Rivers has some raw talent to display in the NFL, and in the unlikely event that dorsey or ellis fall they are the obvious 10th pick choice. Other than that I think the lito sheppard trade up to us for the 10th pick would be another great move. Rivers probably will not be at 19, but if he isnt there are many more to choose from and we would have a starter in CB and we could still become the new dome patrol with Mayo in the mix! Go Saints!:worthy:

I think we all can agree that we are going to have to draft for life after MM and holls thomas. With this high pick we can go for the future at multiple positions.

OK, I had to jump in on this when I saw this on Rock Gosslin's assessment of DRC:

Rick Gosselin said:
It's a tough projection, but it wouldn't be out of line to say he might not reach his potential for a couple years.

I think this is pretty accurate. I don't expect DRC to reach the potential that most think he will be for at least a year or two, IF he ever reaches it at all. He probably will be something in the middle, but could go bust or boom as well.

DALLAS COWBOYS Blog | The Dallas Morning News

Rick Gosselin is an EXCELLENT draft guy and usually has one of the most accurate mock drafts.

I don't ever expect a rookie to be an immediate impact player at this position. But I do feel that whomever we pick, it needs to be someone that can have an immediate impact player. We aren't picking in the high twenties. We are in the top10. With that I feel it's important to have a quick turnaround.

I also-- to reiterate-- feel that expecting MM to be returned to his normal form (even a lessor version of his former self) anytime before a year has passed between the injury and him playing as an NFL starter is expecting very much.

That happens and I'll be singing Barry Manilow karoke.

How many times have we heard this? We need to get an "impact player" at CB in the 1st round. "We can't select so and so because he'd take longer to develop"....so on and so forth. But lets look at the current roster....
McKelvin or Cromartie have the most potential of all the CB's in this draft. The fact that they went to small schools and might need some coaching shouldn't be a factor b/c theres little chance any rookie corner is anything more then a dime back his rookie year anyway. Expecting any drafted corner to come in and start (on a team that has already signed a starter in FA no less) is unrealistic so don't base your grading of CB's on that.

One thing to consider: besides DeSean Jackson, McKelvin is the best returner in the draft and he will be part of the active roster just by his playing on special teams. I am not sure if Rogers-Cromartie will be capable too, but Mike Detillier is very high on him also as a returner.

Whatever the defensive position we take, we only can expect a player to contribute in the rotation and get the starting position on year 2 or 3.

The only rookie that I can see coming and making impact from day one is Branden Albert as a left guard. If the saints want the first rounder to provide results immediately, then Albert is their guy.

One thing to consider: besides DeSean Jackson, McKelvin is the best returner in the draft and he will be part of the active roster just by his playing on special teams. I am not sure if Rogers-Cromartie will be capable too, but Mike Detillier is very high on him also as a returner.

Whatever the defensive position we take, we only can expect a player to contribute in the rotation and get the starting position on year 2 or 3.

The only rookie that I can see coming and making impact from day one is Branden Albert as a left guard. If the saints want the first rounder to provide results immediately, then Albert is their guy.

Very good point. Returner is the most likely impact that a rookie CB will make on a roster. Sometimes you have guys that can come in and play in the first year, but mostly it's on ST that rookie CBs make an impact. While that is all well and good, it doesn't improve our defense...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom