Cam Jordan asking for addition of CB's not so much another DE (1 Viewer)

If you were to return the entire defense as it finished 2016 and could only upgrade one spot.

Would you upgrade CB opposite Breaux or would you upgrade DE opposite Jordan and why?

CB. But because we need so much help on defense, we got to consider BPA in both free agency and the draft.

I feel like we desperately need a starting caliber DE, another solid LB that can cover, and 2 starting caliber CB's. Personally I think Delvin Breaux is over rated by too many on this board and wish we had two upgraded corners with Breaux playing the nickel corner. I think PJ Williams is our most talented CB if he can stay healthy and gain more experience, but it's way to early to really know how good (or average) he will be. Sterling Moore played solid this year for us but he's not a starting CB on most NFL teams. B.W. Webb and Kyle Wilson's roster spots need to be upgraded for sure. Damian Swann, because of his concussion history, is someone we cannot count on.

A good CB shuts down a QBs ability to get rid of the ball even when it comes out quick by simply playing man up on the line, but even a good pass rush can be mitigated by offensive play calling and blocking schemes. A good secondary forces the QB to hold on to the ball longer which leads to hits on the QB and sacks. A pass rush is important but a sound secondary is more important particularly with the rules of the game today.

What you can't hide from though is poor coverage and ball skills. You can't fix horrible coverage without hurting other parts of the defense which then fall prey to the teams that can exploit the seams or use swing passes to create space, etc.

I'd take a verified FA pickup in the secondary along with drafting a young CB due to health concerns in the secondary before overpaying for a DE/OLB.

Going after a second tier DE, rather than overpaying for one, while looking to take a pass rusher in the draft to team with a rotation at DE would be after landing the first rate CB.

If you were to return the entire defense as it finished 2016 and could only upgrade one spot.

Would you upgrade CB opposite Breaux or would you upgrade DE opposite Jordan and why?

CB opposite Breaux. Play calling can help you with pressure more than it can coverage. A #1 CB would make a world of difference for our defense.

we need lb coverage moreso than cb coverage.
always have someone short flats that is wide open.

we need lb coverage moreso than cb coverage.
always have someone short flats that is wide open.

I don't agree with that. Robertson and Ellerbe are pretty good in coverage. It's a need, but not a greater need than a corner, IMO. Anthony has the speed if he can just get the mental part down. I know that's wishful thinking...

Bc making a QB uncomfortable is key. It's really hard to find a good coverage CB these days with officiating. It's easier to find an edge rusher, imho. Find the guy that wants to kill a QB and that QB will make mistakes all game

However, I am a huge fan of LBs. We need fast, intelligent, aggressive LBs.

Having to choose DE or CB in the draft really depends on value for me. If Barnett, Allen, Garrett, and Thomas are all off the board at 11, but Marshon Lattimore is sitting there, I would ABSOLUTELY pull the trigger on him with that pick. He is a true, NFL ready, shut down corner. However ... if one of those aforementioned DE's are still there at 11 ... even with Lattimore still there ... I would pick a stud DE over clearly the best cornerback. We could always grab Desmond King or TreDavious White or one of the other super talented, polished corners in the second.

It really just depends on the value of the player in rounds 1 and 2. I would be happy with CB or DE in either round, as long as they pick one of each in those rounds and the value for each is right.

I know my Alma mater wvu has cb Rasul Douglas in
this draft class. Best corner in the Big 12......but the
Saints haven't really drafted many mountaineers. Renaldo Turnbull was pretty good. Lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom