Cam Jordan asking for addition of CB's not so much another DE (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"I'm going to leave the drafting to them," Jordan said Wednesday on Super Bowl 51's radio row. "They seem to be doing well when we go draft a good defensive guy. Now, would I like a high defensive end? Yeah. But at the same time, I'll take a corner."

Jordan whispered those last few words -- "I'll take a corner" -- before repeating himself quietly.

"I'll take a corner," he said. "I'll take two corners."

"They go hand in hand," Jordan said of the pass rush versus coverage debate, "but at the same time, when you have a possible two good interior (players) and then you have a good end, now let's work on the backfield."

Coverage, Coverage, Coverage! I take his comment as a want vs a need. He'd like or want a DE but we need coverage on the back end and that includes at the LB position but I'd like to think if you are going to play a 3 safety set next year heavily that you might want to add another S at some point in time just to make sure the depth is there should something happen to one of them.

Cameron Jordan wants Saints to add a couple cornerbacks in 2017 draft | NOLA.com

I actually like our CBs, though they have injury concerns. However, we need another guy on the edge to kill QBs.

I actually like our CBs, though they have injury concerns. However, we need another guy on the edge to kill QBs.

If you were to return the entire defense as it finished 2016 and could only upgrade one spot.

Would you upgrade CB opposite Breaux or would you upgrade DE opposite Jordan and why?

I agree ... Even Seattle's front needs a few seconds to get there ... Seems like our corners leave people running open from the snap

If you were to return the entire defense as it finished 2016 and could only upgrade one spot.

Would you upgrade CB opposite Breaux or would you upgrade DE opposite Jordan and why?

Tough question. It would have to be CB for me because we don't have street FAs starting at RDE. they both need an upgrade though

Rush DE opposite Cam.

With time to throw for the QB, even the best cornerbacks can be beaten.

If the quarterback is hurried (or better yet, sacked) it shortens the time corners have to cover, helping ANY cornerback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you really think it means something that a DE, who is going to naturally lean toward his fellow defensive lineman, thinks we don't need another DE?

Shocker.

Our defensive line was not that good last year outside of Jordan and flashes of Fairley. If we go into next year with Edibali starting, we are not going to be good enough to compete.

It's also not a dichotomy. We have enough money and draft picks to upgrade both and we need to do so.

I've always been in the CB over DE camp. But....... Watching that massive screw up last night, the thing that changed it was pass rush. Those NE corners couldn't cover the Falcons last night. They got hurt all night. However, the pass rush steped up and got the sack fumble late. Then, despite being at the 22 with the game basically won late in the 4th, the pass rush was able to make the Falcons punt with a sack on 2nd down, and then by forcing Mathews to either hold Chris Long or give up another sack on 3rd.

Our corners definitely need a massive upgrade, but if I had to pick just one, it would be high draft pick/expensive FA DE over a CB.

That said, we better target both in FA and the draft. We've got enough money and good draft picks to do it.

We should have started investing in corner backs the minute we decided to run with Dennis Allen if not before we made him D co. We used that platform for success under Gregg Williams(Porter,Robinson,Jenkins, Greer) and to some extent early on with Rob Ryan(Lewis,Vaccaro added to Greer, Jenkins, Harper).

I don't know what last year made people think a Dennis Allen defense needed to sell the farm for an elite edge rusher paired with Jordan.

When was the last time our Defense was good?

When we had K Lewis and J Greer.

I love Breaux but we could be asking too much of him. We need a number 1 to matchup alongside Breaux.

CB for me because DA can blitz to create 1 on 1's but a blitz is only as good as the coverage behind it.

It takes a passrusher 3 seconds to get home. What happens when the ball is coming out in 2.5? Von Miller was grasping for air on several occasions when Denver played us and he was missing his top CB to allow him an extra .4 to get there.

I hear you, but without Von, Talib would have to cover for 5 seconds instead of 3. Also, a disruptive D-Line can affect the game in so many more ways (run play penetration, TFL and strip sacks).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB's shall be plentiful in the first two rounds, would love to land one that presents good value especially in the 2nd. Stacked with a CB in FA like Gilmore, or Trumaine Johnson! I'd feel pretty good going into next year with that alone.

I've always been in the CB over DE camp. But....... Watching that massive screw up last night, the thing that changed it was pass rush. Those NE corners couldn't cover the Falcons last night. They got hurt all night. However, the pass rush steped up and got the sack fumble late. Then, despite being at the 22 with the game basically won late in the 4th, the pass rush was able to make the Falcons punt with a sack on 2nd down, and then by forcing Mathews to either hold Chris Long or give up another sack on 3rd.

I don't know, I think if you look at last night, the CB camp wins. The Falcons generated pressure early because their coverage was good and a bunch of guys that aren't big names got to Brady...eventually. Meanwhile, their high draft pick "elite" edge rusher did nothing all game.

The Patriots biggest sacks were on an unblocked blitz and a play where Ryan held onto the ball. :idunno: Just seemed like to me most of the pressures in that game started with good coverage. Our defense never gets those sacks because QBs don't hold onto the ball, and we seemingly never get free blitzers, and when we do they manage to completely miss the QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom