Cam Jordan? (1 Viewer)

It's clear the D line misses Hendrickson and to a lesser degree Rankins. Onyemata has been talked up as the next best thing to Aaron Donald for a couple of years, but he's just not that good. Cam is clearly on the downside of his career. Davenport starts playing really well and then gets hurt. Payton Turner? Who's that guy? The D line was the strength of the D last year, and now it's the weakness.

It looks like Cam is who he is now. He started his career as more of a run stuffer that developed into a double digit sack DE on average from 2013-2019. Since 2020 Cam is back to more of a run stuffer. He's on the backside of his career and his prime was probably 2013-2019, but he's still a durable run stuffing DE and you keep those guys around as long as you can. The only issue is that DE contracts are normally tied to sack totals so his salary vs sacks is skewed. If there's a way to release/resign or restructure his deal to capture the player he is now, that would probably be the way to keep him a Saint until he retires.
As long as he doesn't make crazy money demands, I'm sure they'll find a way to let him retire a Saint.

It's clear the D line misses Hendrickson and to a lesser degree Rankins. Onyemata has been talked up as the next best thing to Aaron Donald for a couple of years, but he's just not that good. Cam is clearly on the downside of his career. Davenport starts playing really well and then gets hurt. Payton Turner? Who's that guy? The D line was the strength of the D last year, and now it's the weakness.
Indeed.
Onyemata is not what many posters here think he is,. We miss the depth we had, Rankins and Brown are missed as well. T-rex, very missed.

Yeah I didn't see any way the D line wasn't going to take a significant step back after losing so many quality players. T Rex and Rankins were viable pass rushers and Malcom Brown was an immovable object in the run game. Then you throw in Onyemata's suspension and the inevitable Dav injuries and they were bound to regress.

It's crazy to think that we had all of those guys on the same team. One of the deepest D lines I've seen. It will be interesting to see how they rebuild the front this offseason.

Cam hasn't been the same since that back injury. I hate it because he had the best season of his career two years ago. I thought he would bounce back, but it appears age is not on his side.

Cam hasn’t been the same since Rankins tore his Achilles. Cam is what he has always been. An excellent run stuffer who is a half step slow, but tenacious as heck. When there is other pressure being applied to the QB, he gets a lot of coverage/garbage sacks. Which is extremely important. However, with one DT position having never been filled to the extent with Rankins departure, and the endless injuries to Davenport and Whoever the other guy we drafted, there simply isn’t any other pressure so the QBs are able to move away from him and he’s not fast enough to sack. But, he is still good enough to pursue and keep QBs from getting the perfect pass off

Jordan is now more than a half-step slow. His sacks have been either coverage sacks or flush sacks, I struggle to remember him beating his man straight up this year.

Numbers don't lie either, 15.5 sacks in 2019, 7.5 last year (even with Hendrickson tearing it up from the other side), 4.0 in 10 games this year. He's still a decent player but no longer a difference-maker.

Fun fact -- in 10-1/2 seasons Jordan has never missed a game and started all but one. That's insane.

His pass rushing days are over pretty much unless there are coverage sacks. Cam was never quick at getting to the qb. He won with moves and motor. But he’s great against the run. Problem is if a de can’t get pressure than it doesn’t fit this type of de that wants to mostly rush 4

I honestly have no gripes with Cam’s performance so far. We have been snake bitten with injuries and suspensions on both sides of the ball this year, and like others on the team Cam is paying the price for it.

That said, Cam is still performing well. I don’t have access to his PFF numbers, but I would imagine he ranks among the top 5 defensive players on the team. Having Onyemata back is only going to help as well.

All that said, I would still look to restructure his contract this offseason, and if he doesn’t like that I would be inclined to trade/waive him. He still has some good years left. Unlike every other pass rusher from 2011 Draft (Miller, Watt, Houston, Kerrigan, Quinn) Cam has held up the best.

Cam Jordan is one of the best Saints to ever put on the Black & Gold. He's had an incredible career. Not many DEs in league history have this many years of sustained quality play in both the run game and pass rushing. He's never missed a game and for a decade he averaged 9.5 Sacks a year.

He's had a great run but the past two seasons haven't been his best. I see people point to double teams as the reason why he appears to be in decline and maybe that's correct. Or maybe time is catching up to the 32 year old iron man. He's played a lot of football at one of the most physically demanding positions in all of sports. All those snaps add up and take a toll.
He used to play over 95 percent of the snaps until like 5 years ago where that dropped to 80-90.

I honestly have no gripes with Cam’s performance so far. We have been snake bitten with injuries and suspensions on both sides of the ball this year, and like others on the team Cam is paying the price for it.

That said, Cam is still performing well. I don’t have access to his PFF numbers, but I would imagine he ranks among the top 5 defensive players on the team. Having Onyemata back is only going to help as well.

All that said, I would still look to restructure his contract this offseason, and if he doesn’t like that I would be inclined to trade/waive him. He still has some good years left. Unlike every other pass rusher from 2011 Draft (Miller, Watt, Houston, Kerrigan, Quinn) Cam has held up the best.
Early this year Cam was in the top 5 in pressures.

I was thinking about Cam the other day and how we hear all about how he has dropped off. One thing that hasn't is his availability to play on Sunday. He never seems to be hurt so bad he is OUT for a game. Doesn't matter how good you are, you aint doing anything if your not on the field. Cam has been much more available to play than our other DE's.
Trey Hendrickson was hurt a good bit and injured some for his first years. Davenport, Turner have been "un-available " a lot. In the last few years we brought in DE's and none I can think of have been as available to play on Sunday as much as Cam has been. Noah Spence is a prime example.
We could really use Tanoh Kpassagnon tomorrow but he won't be available.
Glad to see Cam is still available and contributing for us most all of the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom