Cam Jordan's place in Saints history (1 Viewer)

Kyle brister

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can still vividly remember the night the Saints drafted Cam Jordan in the 1st round with the 24th pick. I mean all the best DEs were already gone. JJ Watt, Nick Fairley, Robert Quinn, Corey Lugett, Ryan Kerrigan were all gone. And there hadn't been a single running back taken. And anyone who had seen the Saints play the year before could realize the difference in them from the Super bowl year was a complete lack of physicality, granted mostly on the defensive side of the ball. But never the less they needed physicality injected post haste.

And for me the best way to get there was by drafting Mark Ingram with their first round pick. So when I heard the name Cam Jordan from a finesse school like California, I thought what a stupid wasted pick & got up in front of my friends. downed the last swig of brew, & kissed them all good night since the Saints in ALL their usual traditional glory would backslide from grace & go back to the old losers who just can't help themselves. Well,..... needless to say, my crystal ball was somewhat steamed up that night. And I deserve to sit here & tell you fellow fans what a fool I was. By the mercies of our Lord, The Saints caught a brain rush & realized the error of their way & traded up to get my boy from the grips of Satan himself & save Mark Ingram from the wicked one( Nick the p-ick Saban).

I would be so much less embarrassed, yet less happy if the story ended there. But to tell the truth, I can only say that in my humbled opinion, Cam Jordan is my personal all time 3rd bestest & most favorite Saint in the history of the team. Of course Drew is pretty much the undisputed number one by a pretty good stretch. And then of course there's the incredible Ricky Jackson who was the 2nd greatest linebacker of all time. Then after that, Cameron has been an incredibly great player being balanced against the run as well as a great pass rusher. There may be plays where the camera sees him not have as much to give as other plays. But I have never seen him live, or on memorex ever ever take a play off. he strives so hard to have some kind of effect on every single play he plays whether it's a tackle, taking on a double team, or knocking down a pass when he can't get to the QB. Or he could just be holding his position on the backside. But he pursues & chases down the field as well as covers his own turf. He is truly a joy to watch play the game. he has a great time & is as physical & tough a two dollar steak. But he plays clean & within the rules. And lives like a real role model should off the field as well. It was a blessing for the Saints to be able to tie up Jordan for the next 4 years. I can say if anything is worth those overpriced nachos & beer, it's getting to see a professional like Jordan ply his trade on the gridiron.

I view Jordan as possibly the best of a DE legacy hopefully to continue. Similar to RT.

Stinchcomb > Strief > Ramczyk
Smith > Jordan > Davenport?

I wish we had more time with Smith and Jordan together. Hopefully, we get several years of Jordan and Davenport.

Future HoF discussion should be interesting.

If he's still going strong in his mid 30s I think he'll have a shot. He seems to have the build and type of game for it. He says he has a 100 sack goal which would put him in the conversation. He should easily exceed that by the end of his contract.

Last edited:
Future HoF discussion should be interesting.

He's had the health and durability and production to get in the conversation. If Davenport comes along over the next few years, Jordan's stats and visibility will likely increase even more. Add a few big plays in the playoffs and possible Super Bowl and you've likely got a good argument. He's been one of the best Saints players ever in my opinion.

I remember that night we drafted him. Most had him projected in the early teens so the fact he fell to us made me happy. I was actually more upset we traded back into the first for Ingram and by that account I was wrong. At least that’s how I remember it, anyway.

Jordan has been nothing less than great for us. Both of and off the field, giving us a discount this year on his contract extension made me like him even more.

I know a lot of people use the line that we need to get drew a second title before he retires but I really want to get cam a championship before he’s done.

I don't think many fans were doing fist pumps and giving high fives after drafting Cam. First of all he wasn't a "name" player. He didn't go to LSU. He didn't even play in the SEC! A DE from Cal? What?

Nobody could've known he would be this good and reliable. When you combine production with durability an argument can be made for him being the top DE in the league. Definitely one of the best draft picks in franchise history. And if you were to come up with an all time Saints defense he's a lock for one of the DE spots. 3-4 or 4-3.

A few years back, had you pressed me with the question of “where does Cam stand among past Saints DEs?” I would have said “behind Wayne Martin, Frank Warren, and Will Smith.”

Now if you were to ask me the same question I would tell you “Cam Jordan is second to none in Saints DE history.”

Considering how much harder it has gotten to be a defensive player in this modern NFL, he really has taken a tougher road to get to this ranking.

A potential future Hall of Famer.

fify :mwink:

Cam Jordan:

* deflects passes
* defends the run
* rushes the passer
* drops into pass coverage, and
* relentlessly chases with backside pursuit

...all at a Pro Bowl level. Most who do 3 out of 5 are Pro Bowlers. Cam does all 5 with exceptional skill and execution.

:gosaints:

Last edited:
I was excited about Cam actually. The thing about him coming out, and why I remember him falling is he lacked that big closing burst of speed like JJWatt had. On the other hand as far as an all around DE who could play the run and give you 6-8 sacks a year he was the man. If anyone remembers the Saints lack of ability to stop the run at that time, and the absolute need for an all around DE, Cam was the perfect choice.

And he has been

If he's still going strong in his mid 30s I think he'll have a shot. He seems to have the build and type of game for it. He says he has a 100 sack goal which would put him in the conversation. He should easily exceed that by the end of his contract.

He wants to break Rickey Jackson’s record...which should get him in the conversation. 100 sacks and defensive player of the year hasn’t done much for Pat Swilling.

He wants to break Rickey Jackson’s record...which should get him in the conversation. 100 sacks and defensive player of the year hasn’t done much for Pat Swilling.

But, Pat was a one trick pony on a team that had a great defense and never won a championship. Jordan is a complete DE who has played in a super Bowl and will hopefully come close to Jackson’s stats.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom