N/S Cam Newton admits he doesn't know how to read defenses (2 Viewers)

Cincy Saint

VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
“Nah. If anything, I was — I was like, ‘Josh, it’s so new to me.’ I’ve never been in a system that required me to know where the Mike (linebacker) is, to know the front, to identify certain fronts and XYZ,” Newton said. “You can’t say that that’s stupid or ‘Why wouldn’t you know that?’ because half of the NFL — I would say 30 teams out of 32 teams don’t run this philosophy. It’s in the center’s call, because they control the protection, and if you have any type of red flag or an alert, then that’s when you kind of (say), ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hey, Lucy this. Ricky to 50.’ You know what I’m saying? Something like that.

Wow....

LINK TO INTERVIEW

Where did Cam say that he doesn’t know how to read defenses? It looks like he just explained how New England’s system reads defenses from that quote.

He says he’s never been in an offense like New England’s, which is a philosophy that requires him to identify defensive fronts and where linebackers are. Most teams offenses aren’t as complex. Cam’s basically been in read option offenses his whole career that always schemed around his rushing. New England’s offense is the first time Newton had to be an actual QB.

He’s a ex rival QB from the division but why is there a trend to try to humiliate Cam Newton’s intelligence and make him look stupid so much ?

Where did Cam say that he doesn’t know how to read defenses? It looks like he just explained how New England’s system reads defenses from that quote.

He says he’s never been in an offense like New England’s, which is a philosophy that requires him to identify defensive fronts and where linebackers are. Most teams offenses aren’t as complex. Cam’s basically been in read option offenses his whole career that always schemed around his rushing. New England’s offense is the first time Newton had to be an actual QB.

He’s a ex rival QB from the division but why is there a trend to try to humiliate Cam Newton’s intelligence and make him look stupid so much ?
He just admitted he doesn't know how to do the basics required of NFL quarterbacks.

Why are you differentiating the Patriots offense as some kind of super complicated scheme the likes we have never seen?

For Cam not to know these things is simply mind blowing. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised since he's never mastered proper QB mechanics either.

He says that only 2 teams in the NFL run offenses that have to know where the Mike is. I'm pretty sure that most of them do that so he comes across as not knowing what he's talking about.

He just admitted he doesn't know how to do the basics required of NFL quarterbacks.

Why are you differentiating the Patriots offense as some kind of super complicated scheme the likes we have never seen?

For Cam not to know these things is simply mind blowing. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised since he's never mastered proper QB mechanics either.
Where in the quote is Cam admitting that he doesn’t know how to do the QB basics? He described what they are. He’s won NFL playoff games as a passer and was a MVP so how all of a sudden Cam Newton doesn’t know QB basics?

He explained what he didn’t do in previous offenses versus what he did in New England on a regular basis. How does Cam’s never been required to do xyz in previous offenses, as a runfirst QB, means Cam doesnt know how to do xyz. That’s a weird narrative with weird undertones

Where in the quote is Cam admitting that he doesn’t know how to do the QB basics? He described what they are. He’s won NFL playoff games as a passer and was a MVP so how all of a sudden Cam Newton doesn’t know QB basics?

He explained what he didn’t do in previous offenses versus what he did in New England on a regular basis. How does Cam’s never been required to do xyz in previous offenses, as a runfirst QB, become Cam doesnt know how to do xyz. That’s a weird narrative with weird undertones
He pretty much says it himself. "You can’t say that that’s stupid or ‘Why wouldn’t you know that?’ because half of the NFL — I would say 30 teams out of 32 teams don’t run this philosophy" So right there he's asking the question of why he doesn't know how to read defenses and he starts his answer with because, that means he's accepting that he doesn't know how to read defenses and then giving the explanation that half, or actually 30 out of 32 teams don't do it which is a total fabrication. I can easily name more than 2 teams where the QB reads defenses. Maybe he's explaining it wrong but it's what he said not us.

He pretty much says it himself. "You can’t say that that’s stupid or ‘Why wouldn’t you know that?’ because half of the NFL — I would say 30 teams out of 32 teams don’t run this philosophy" So right there he's asking the question of why he doesn't know how to read defenses and he starts his answer with because, that means he's accepting that he doesn't know how to read defenses and then giving the explanation that half, or actually 30 out of 32 teams don't do it which is a total fabrication. I can easily name more than 2 teams where the QB reads defenses. Maybe he's explaining it wrong but it's what he said not us.
Cam is on video audibling out of plays because the linebackers or defensive fronts knew the pass play that his offense was running when he was in Carolina and changed to a better play. There’s game clips of that so it seems just outright false that he doesn’t know QB basics or can’t read defenses for as long as he’s been a starting QB with winning seasons.

The article mentions NE’s offense isn’t what Cam’s been used to so the context is about NE offense is different than his past offenses, not that he doesn’t know how to read defenses. The writeup doesn’t look like it included any questions that were asked for those responses or even the full response but just excerpts that followed their mention of how NE’s offense is different than what he’s used to.

If there’s already an opinion about Cam the quote will be interpreted negatively about his intellect, but the overall context looks like the plays in NE’s playbook centers around identifying defensive looks and he wasn’t used to doing so in his past offense’s playbook. I don’t see how explaining that a primary responsibility in one offense wasn’t required in the past offenses means he doesn’t know how to do it

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but it does in fact sound like Cam is admitting that he’s never had the responsibility to completely read a defense and thus he doesn’t know how to read one.

I get that some people are piling on Cam while he is in the valley of his career. But, in this instance I don’t fault people for reading Cam’s own words and surmising that he can’t read defenses.

Cam is on video audibling out of plays because the linebackers or defensive fronts knew the pass play that his offense was running when he was in Carolina and changed to a better play. There’s game clips of that so it seems just outright false that he doesn’t know QB basics or can’t read defenses for as long as he’s been a starting QB with winning seasons.

The article mentions NE’s offense isn’t what Cam’s been used to so the context is about NE offense is different than his past offenses, not that he doesn’t know how to read defenses. The writeup doesn’t look like it included any questions that were asked for those responses or even the full response but just excerpts that followed their mention of how NE’s offense is different than what he’s used to.

If there’s already an opinion about Cam the quote will be interpreted negatively about his intellect, but the overall context looks like the plays in NE’s playbook centers around identifying defensive looks and he wasn’t used to doing so in his past offense’s playbook. I don’t see how explaining that a primary responsibility in one offense wasn’t required in the past offenses means he doesn’t know how to do it
I agree and I don't get the dump on Cam now posters. The guy was a league MVP but we know he is fundamentally a running QB with all the shortcomings that come with it. We basically had this same debate with the so-called QB competition over the summer where it was obvious who was the more advanced QB. There is a long history of how certain QBs are characterized but when the roles are reversed those negative tropes about intelligence go out the window.

I agree and I don't get the dump on Cam now posters. The guy was a league MVP but we know he is fundamentally a running QB with all the shortcomings that come with it. We basically had this same debate with the so-called QB competition over the summer where it was obvious who was the more advanced QB. There is a long history of how certain QBs are characterized but when the roles are reversed those negative tropes about intelligence go out the window.
A running qb is viewed as relying more on athletic ability. A passing qb relies more on the intellectual part of the game....reading defenses, disguises, fully going through their reads, changing plays at the line based on covg, larger playbook etc.
Simple as that

If I count more players in the box than fingers on my hand, I can audible in and out of plays too. Doesn't mean I can read a defense though. Based on his own words, his own phrasing, sounds like he's lacking in that ability. Kind of happens when you rely on your athletic abilities more than your mental abilities, skills will fade when not used.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom