N/S Cam Newton admits he doesn't know how to read defenses (1 Viewer)

This wasn't applied to Taysom because there was no question about his intelligence being in every meeting and playing every position and the knowledge that comes with that

Cam went to superbowl, has been an MVP and had a great career, Cam learned his playbook and the knowledge that came with Carolina and he did it well. I admit Cam a strange dude and is hard to defend but I do agree to say its hard to say he was a bad QB when he had a better career then like 90% of QBs

7-8 W/L record
3,242 passing yards
21 pass TDs | 11 ints
266 completions out of 460 attempts (57.8 comp. %)
84.9 passer rating

This is Cam’s career passing stats vs. the Saints in 15 games, and not including rushing yards, which is about 750. That’s above average QB play that’s gets a team into the wildcard if that was the old 16 regular season of games, and paired with a decent defense.

That’s actually what most of his seasons in Carolina looks like from 2011-2019. No QB lasts a decade as a starting QB if they couldn’t read defenses. No QB throws for 35 TDs with 10 int’s and get his team to a SB if they couldn’t read defenses.

Rival or not, Cam’s QB play deserves way more respect than trying to humiliate his intelligence since he looks different and acts different than the standard QB. Some people get off a lot on making Cam look dumb and ignorant

Cam went to superbowl, has been an MVP and had a great career, Cam learned his playbook and the knowledge that came with Carolina and he did it well. I admit Cam a strange dude and is hard to defend but I do agree to say its hard to say he was a bad QB when he had a better career then like 90% of QBs
I feels ya

This wasn't applied to Taysom because there was no question about his intelligence being in every meeting and playing every position and the knowledge that comes with that
Doesn't that seem like a contradiction? Cam dumb, Taysom smart. I mean the guy can't read the whole field and no one classifies being on special teams or a TE positions of intelligence? Herein lies the issue.

Doesn't that seem like a contradiction? Cam dumb, Taysom smart. I mean the guy can't read the whole field and no one classifies being on special teams or a TE positions of intelligence? Herein lies the issue.
Yeh it kind of read wrong after I typed it. I'm not saying that was the case just that it was generally "viewed" that way, stereotype wutevers ya know

He pretty much says it himself. "You can’t say that that’s stupid or ‘Why wouldn’t you know that?’ because half of the NFL — I would say 30 teams out of 32 teams don’t run this philosophy" So right there he's asking the question of why he doesn't know how to read defenses and he starts his answer with because, that means he's accepting that he doesn't know how to read defenses and then giving the explanation that half, or actually 30 out of 32 teams don't do it which is a total fabrication. I can easily name more than 2 teams where the QB reads defenses. Maybe he's explaining it wrong but it's what he said not us.
I would say every team's QB reads the defense and calls protection. It was known in Carolina when he was there that his center was calling all the protection. I found that to be odd. It also told me he wasn't smart enough to read what was going on with a defense.

Really shouldn't be a surprise the guy never went to the sideline after a series and look at the stills to see what teams were doing defensively. Why? Because he didn't know what he was looking at.

Yeh common sense would be that all qb's should know what they're seeing and to understand where the defenders are going to be and whose likely coming at em....even "running qbs". Bet he wishes he could take that comment back..
I'm pretty sure even he flinched after he said that...lol

I agree with many in this thread. He's not saying he can't read a defense. What he's saying is that he isn't usually having to call protections as it's usually handled by the center - and that, as I understand it, is totally true.

Drew Brees would call his protections but so much of that is because Payton and he had created the gameplan and Drew had tons of flexibility once at the line.

If I recall correctly, Jeff Saturday would call the protections and ID the Mike LB for Peyton Manning.

Cam is basically saying he's never been in an offense where the QB was given so much to process post-huddle and perhaps that hindered his ability to get a feel for the game - which ultimately led to his demise in NE.

Look at Brady...he loved that robotic system in NE and he thrived because it fit his personality type "out prep you to out work you."

Cam on the other hand has built a career on mixing up what he does based on what advantaged his athleticism gives him. He seems to be more of a freelancer and there is no way that New England was going to roll with that for long.

Article and quote only stated that Cam had more QB responsibility in New England’s offense than what he was accustomed to in the past in Carolina or before pro. I didn’t see anything that suggests him not knowing how to do anything that he was more responsible to do. More responsibility to learn New England’s terminology of how they read looks or to make calls more absolutely does not mean doesn’t know how to do it. He’s been a decade starter with decent passing play and won a lot of games with his passing.

He was talking about the playbook terminology or frequent emphasis on what he was responsible for. But I do see how someone that may be prejudice against Cam or hate him personally can misconstrue his words to create a narrative without context

Last edited:
Yeh but as qb your supposed to be the best player on the field, the smartest player on the field, the captain. If you want to be good at your job, no matter what job that is,, the best way to do that is prepare, know your job and everyone's job working under you.

I would say every team's QB reads the defense and calls protection. It was known in Carolina when he was there that his center was calling all the protection. I found that to be odd. It also told me he wasn't smart enough to read what was going on with a defense.

You are in for a surprise about this years Saints team then:

The Saints center has some new job responsibilities. After spending his first two years snapping the ball to Drew Brees and blocking, his job is now to read the defense, identify the middle linebacker and set protections for the offensive line. The process of how that gets done changes based on whether Jameis Winston or Taysom Hill is playing quarterback.

You are in for a surprise about this years Saints team then:

The Saints center has some new job responsibilities. After spending his first two years snapping the ball to Drew Brees and blocking, his job is now to read the defense, identify the middle linebacker and set protections for the offensive line. The process of how that gets done changes based on whether Jameis Winston or Taysom Hill is playing quarterback.

I will say Armstead was calling protection for Taysom last year but Taysom was calling the mic linebacker.

I'm pretty sure Winston will be calling these things by season end. It's one thing to know the playbook and it's another running a new offense like ours.

Cam had many years in Carolina to take over duties and never did.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom