Cam Newton cleared to play (1 Viewer)

Crzycjunx76

Iron Era Origional
Reaction score
Seattle by way of Texas, originating in SELA.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5870788

INDIANAPOLIS -- Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is eligible to play in the SEC title game this weekend, even though the NCAA says his father broke rules by shopping his son to another school.

The NCAA released its finding in a statement Wednesday. The college sports governing body had concluded on Monday that a violation of Newton's amateur status had occurred. Auburn declared Newton ineligible on Tuesday and requested his eligibility be reinstated.

Newton has been cleared to compete without conditions.

Auburn (No. 1 BCS, No. 2 AP) plays South Carolina (No. 19 BCS, No. 18 AP) in the Southeastern Conference championship game Saturday. With a victory, the Tigers will earn a spot in the BCS National Championship Game.

"Based on the information available to the reinstatement staff at this time, we do not have sufficient evidence that Cam Newton or anyone from Auburn was aware of this activity, which led to his reinstatement," said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president for academic and membership affairs. "From a student-athlete reinstatement perspective, Auburn University met its obligation . . . Under this threshold, the student-athlete has not participated while ineligible."

I doubt it... just the NCAA telling everyone to shut it and stop saying they should declare Newton ineligible without proof that he was involved in wrongdoing.

So they come out and specify that Cecil Newton committed a violation but as of right now there is not connection to Cam or Auburn and he cannot be suspended for what occurs without his knowledge... and as of right now they have NO proof that Auburn or Cam committed any violations and that they refuse to punish without proof.

<strike>Mike Slive's</strike> The NCAA's official statement:
NCAA addresses Cam Newton's eligibility

Auburn University football student-athlete Cam Newton is immediately eligible to compete, according to a decision today by the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff. The NCAA concluded on Monday that a violation of amateurism rules occurred, therefore Auburn University declared the student-athlete ineligible yesterday for violations of NCAA amateurism rules.

When a school discovers an NCAA rules violation has occurred, it must declare the student-athlete ineligible and may request the student-athlete&#8217;s eligibility be reinstated. Reinstatement decisions are made by the NCAA national office staff and can include conditions such as withholding from competition and repayment of extra benefits. Newton was reinstated without any conditions.

According to facts of the case agreed upon by Auburn University and the NCAA enforcement staff, the student-athlete&#8217;s father and an owner of a scouting service worked together to actively market the student-athlete as a part of a pay-for-play scenario in return for Newton&#8217;s commitment to attend college and play football. NCAA rules (Bylaw 12.3.3) do not allow individuals or entities to represent a prospective student-athlete for compensation to a school for an athletic scholarship.

In conjunction with the case, Auburn University has limited the access Newton&#8217;s father has to the athletics program and Mississippi State has disassociated the involved individual.

&#8220;The conduct of Cam Newton&#8217;s father and the involved individual is unacceptable and has no place in the SEC or in intercollegiate athletics,&#8221; said Mike Slive, Southeastern Conference Commissioner. &#8220;The actions taken by Auburn University and Mississippi State University make it clear this behavior will not be tolerated in the SEC.&#8221;

&#8220;Our members have established rules for a fair and equal recruitment of student-athletes, as well as to promote integrity in the recruiting process,&#8221; said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president for academic and membership affairs. &#8220;In determining how a violation impacts a student-athlete&#8217;s eligibility, we must consider the young person&#8217;s responsibility. Based on the information available to the reinstatement staff at this time, we do not have sufficient evidence that Cam Newton or anyone from Auburn was aware of this activity, which led to his reinstatement. From a student-athlete reinstatement perspective, Auburn University met its obligation under NCAA bylaw 14.11.1. Under this threshold, the student-athlete has not participated while ineligible.&#8221;

&#8220;We are pleased that the NCAA has agreed with our position that Cam Newton has been and continues to be eligible to play football at Auburn University,&#8221; Auburn University Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs said. &#8220;We appreciate the diligence and professionalism of the NCAA and its handling of this matter. &#8220;

During the reinstatement process, NCAA staff review each case on its own merits based on the specific facts. Staff decisions are made based on a number of factors including guidelines established by the Division I NCAA Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, as well as any mitigating factors presented by the university.

Reinstatement decisions are independent of the NCAA enforcement process and typically are made once the facts of the student-athlete&#8217;s involvement are determined. The reinstatement process is likely to conclude prior to the close of an investigation. It is NCAA policy not to comment on current, pending or potential investigations.
Slive's cracking the wet noodle whip of discipline. This whole thing probably played out over a conference call with Slive, AU officials and the NCAA Complainace Office.

"You guys declare him ineligible, ask us to reinstate him and the next day we'll follow up with an official statement and declare him okay to play in the SEC CG. Let's do it on Monday and then Tuesday we'll declare him eligible. It's a slow news day for sports and no one will notice."

I am going to ****ing love it when this **** catches up to Auburn. Slive just wants to make sure he gets his BCS money.

I think you're dead on MLU.. noway he's ineligible one day and then eligible the very next day. That's unpossible

I'm not too impressed with college football right now. This whole thing wreaks.

I think it is hilarious that many of you feel the NCAA is actively shielding Auburn because the two are in cahoots. We've been punished by the NCAA multiple times in case you forgot. What, they feel sorry for us now? give me a break

I think it is hilarious that many of you feel the NCAA is actively shielding Auburn because the two are in cahoots. We've been punished by the NCAA multiple times in case you forgot. What, they feel sorry for us now? give me a break

I don't know about hte NCAA - but Mike Slive is definitely in your corner. And he is a very powerful ally to have.

I dunno max it reeks how long did it take for Bush's investigation? The NCAA clears it out in 2 days?:scratch:

I dunno max it reeks how long did it take for Bush's investigation? The NCAA clears it out in 2 days?:scratch:

Except that the NCAA has known about this situation since January. More like 11 months, not 2 days.

Cam's reinstatement happened very quickly and I believe that was the case because the NCAA feels Cam did nothing wrong. Reggie and his family were most certainly aware of the house, car, appliances, etc that they received. AJ Green did take money for a jersey, Marcel Darius did fly on an agent's dime twice to Miami. The comparisons people are making right now are not valid because all these other players received benefits. Neither Cam nor his father have been proved to have received anything after a lengthy investigation.

As far as Mike Slive, his BCS money, and Auburn are concerned, where the hell was he 2004. Slive did absolutely nothing to promote Auburn's inclusion in the championship game. Why the change of heart?

I don't know about hte NCAA - but Mike Slive is definitely in your corner. And he is a very powerful ally to have.
This.

As far as Mike Slive, his BCS money, and Auburn are concerned, where the hell was he 2004. Slive did absolutely nothing to promote Auburn's inclusion in the championship game. Why the change of heart?
The obvious answer is because 2004 was a lesson learned. Slive isn't going to leave it to chance and let the BCS **** things up again.

So MLU, you believe that Cam's quick reinstatement was a direct result of Slive pressuring the NCAA? Is it also your opinion that Slive badgered the NCAA into reinstating Newton, while sitting on info that would burn Cam, MSU, or Auburn? I can see Slive lobbying for a quick reinstatement of Cam if he already knew he had not been found guilty of any infractions.

What I believed happened was the NCAA wrapped up its investigation into Cam and Auburn then communicated its findings with the SEC and Auburn before releasing the info to the press. The NCAA, the SEC, and AU then figured out the proper procedure to follow and did so. Why would the NCAA wait on reinstating Cam if they already believed he was not guilty on an infraction?

My thoughts on Slive's motivation - it has nothing to do with wanting Auburn to be in the BCS game. It has everything to do with his desire to be NCAA President.

He'll have to wait then because Mark Emmert took over that position not that long ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom