Cam Newton to Pats (1 Viewer)

I wonder what effect this will have on compensatory draft picks.

Newton was the #1 overall. I believe they were slated a mere 11 picks for 2021. Now minus a 3rd after the (latest) Spygate episode.
He was cut, so no impact on compensatory picks as I understand it. The Pats always maximize comp picks when making signings.

What's going to be entertaining is watching everyone freak once Bill has turned Cam back into a commodity and trades him for multiple 1st round picks and still makes it deep into the playoffs.

What's going to be entertaining is watching everyone freak once Bill has turned Cam back into a commodity and trades him for multiple 1st round picks and still makes it deep into the playoffs.
I still think he'll join the growing list of teams reported in the media as 'trying to find their Taysom' and little more.

He was cut, so no impact on compensatory picks as I understand it. The Pats always maximize comp picks when making signings.

I don't like this. I guess not many of us will.

The NFL has awarded compensatory picks since 1994. No team has more than the Ravens have all-time and by a wide margin.
The Ravens have received 50 extra choices in history, which means losing more or better compensatory free agents (CFA) than it acquired the previous year based on a formula using salary, playing time and postseason honors...

The Cowboys and Packers tie for second with 42 all-time compensatory picks. The Patriots have 39, the Rams 36 and the Bengals 35.

The Saints have received the fewest — only 10 — in the history of compensatory picks, with the Browns ranking 31st with 13 and the Jets 30th with 14.

I don't like this. I guess not many of us will.

Haha, I nearly originally added to my post, 'although the Ravens are the dons at this'. I'm well aware of their skills, Ozzie has set them up well and passed on his knowledge to his successors, too. They're a very strong organisation.

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE
a8WMtev.jpg

Richard Sherman thinks it's disgusting since he had to sign for the minimum. I don't understand this. There was no market for Cam so what were the Patriots supposed to do give him a mega deal just because? He calls Cam a transcendent talent and that was true years ago but injuries have taken a toll. Cam Newton isn't the first good QB who had to play for less after injuries or diminished skill. It's fairly common.

Instead of being happy that Cam got another shot Sherman is trying to turn this into something it's not. This is a prove it deal. If Cam shows that he's still a transcendent talent then he'll be paid accordingly.

I will be surprised if Bill can do anything with him. Newton is the antithesis of Brady.

Richard Sherman thinks it's disgusting since he had to sign for the minimum. I don't understand this. There was no market for Cam so what were the Patriots supposed to do give him a mega deal just because? He calls Cam a transcendent talent and that was true years ago but injuries have taken a toll. Cam Newton isn't the first good QB who had to play for less after injuries or diminished skill. It's fairly common.

Instead of being happy that Cam got another shot Sherman is trying to turn this into something it's not. This is a prove it deal. If Cam shows that he's still a transcendent talent then he'll be paid accordingly.

I saw that. It has absolutely zero to do with his race. If Cam were a rookie again coming out...I guarantee you every team in the league would be interested. Instead they now have an NFL resume to go off of. A resume that shows inaccuracy, lack of leadership, lack of heart, poor sportsmanship, and an antagonistic behavior on the field.,

It makes a ton of sense. That’s two starting QBs from last year that signed for pretty much the vet minimum in Cam & Jameis, yet Kaepernick wouldn’t sign for anything close to that and he hasn’t played in quite a few years. Maybe this will be a wake up call and he will just take the vet minimum for a second chance at football. I hope he gives it an honest try, but I think he might be just as fine in his king of the SJWs gig. I may disagree with him, but I still want to see him play if he can. Plus I would like the fiasco to end already and have all the SJWs quit whining about the NFL blackballing him & whatnot.

Back to the game played on the field, it’s a great move for the Patriots. It’s an extremely low risk, extremely high reward transaction. They still want to compete for rings without Tom Brady and rolling with just Jared Stidham & Brian Hoyer wasn’t likely to get it done. If Cam can reach just ~70% of his 2015 game than they can compete for the division they have owned with Brady all those years. Really he had a good year in 2017 going 11-5, so it’s not like he has been terrible for a long period. It’s just the injuries that killed him and the crap medical staff not helping matters.

If he stays healthy and can give you 16 good games I think the Pats can challenge for the division and a playoff spot. It’s not like they play in the NFC South. The Bills look to be decent having a good year making the playoffs last season and the Jets have some decent players on the roster with a young, up & coming QB in Darnold. I think the Jets are a few years away though, but the Bills look to be the favorites to win the division unless Cam or Stidham look good. The Jets will likely have to get rid of their coach though as it seems only Darnold likes him and Jamal Adams wants a trade cause he can’t stand him.

I thought the Patriots was the best place for Cam to try and resurrect his career. He’s going to a winning organization that always plays good defense with Belichick leading the way. It will be interesting to see how it comes together up there in New England. I hope they stink since they are a bunch of cheating SoBs and deserve a long run of mediocrity

Last edited:
So Sherman not complaining about Flacco's contract?

Has anyone seen what the patriots fans are saying about this? Do they love it or hate it...inquiring minds want to know :very-happy:

yet Kaepernick wouldn’t sign for anything close to that and he hasn’t played in quite a few years. Maybe this will be a wake up call and he will just take the vet minimum for a second chance at football.

I see this statement alot. I am simply curious - do you or does anyone have a link that attributes that? And not the 2017 Seahawks item. TIA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom