Camera buffs I harvest moon is out if you hurry (1 Viewer)

I sold off my 400mm lens but captured the Super Moon back on 19-MAR-2011 with it.

133345847.jpg

It's not anything like Redfish pulled off, but I messed around with our new NEX6 last night using my wife's old Canon FD 200mm zoom lens. I don't know what the hell I'm doing, to be honest with you. But I managed to pull off a decent shot of the moon in my opinion.

Attachments

• moon-edit.jpg
    moon-edit.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 14
I figure if I (legally blind) can see the details in the surface of the moon in your pic, it must be at least pretty good!

I took a shot with my iphone through my telescope and it looked AMAZING. If I wasn't at work I'd post, but I'll try when I'm home.

It's not anything like Redfish pulled off, but I messed around with our new NEX6 last night using my wife's old Canon FD 200mm zoom lens. I don't know what the hell I'm doing, to be honest with you. But I managed to pull off a decent shot of the moon in my opinion.

You'd be surprised by opening your image in Photoshop CS5, adjusting the white balance, shadows & highlights, along with a final smart sharpening ... the end result isn't much from what I took with my Canon 7D.

You'd be surprised by opening your image in Photoshop CS5, adjusting the white balance, shadows & highlights, along with a final smart sharpening ... the end result isn't much from what I took with my Canon 7D.

Thanks. I'll play with it. What were your settings to get the image, if you remember? I found the moon to be exceptionally bright, so I quickened the shutter, went with a smaller aperture, and the ISO was at 100 I believe. This was the only way I was able to get a clear shot without everything being washed in light.

Also, do you shoot in jpeg or raw, or both?

Thanks. I'll play with it. What were your settings to get the image, if you remember? I found the moon to be exceptionally bright, so I quickened the shutter, went with a smaller aperture, and the ISO was at 100 I believe. This was the only way I was able to get a clear shot without everything being washed in light.

Also, do you shoot in jpeg or raw, or both?

I always shot in RAW and make post processing adjustments. That was captured in manual mode at ISO 100, f/6.3 with shutter speed of 1/125. If you go too slow you'll get blurring in the moon's movement. Also I was using a tripod with a shutter release button and had the camera set to Live View with the LCD magnification set to 10x.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom