Cameron Tom or Easton Starting the 1st game would not surprise me at Center (1 Viewer)

oh ok thanks because when i was watching i was like damn... one of those are going to be a fail and cost points eventually.
Not sure, I wanted to see when I caught the replay but forgot about it until I seen this.

We do have another long snapper on our roster trying to (I assume) gain some game tape for himself in hopes of landing on another roster after camp considering we’re pretty set with Zach Wood. I hope it wasn’t Wood with the high snaps though.
It was Nick Moore. He is our 2nd LS.

After one mistake? Really? Do you honestly think Coach Payton is as reactionary as a fan

You know, I see statements similar to the OP (re: Payton) from time to time. "He won't tolerate this or that very much longer".

I mean, yeah, he's the guy who traded away Stallworth pretty quickly......had Wayne Gandy's recliner removed from the locker room.......reshuffled his linebackers about a week before the 2006 season......made Joe Horn's post-Haslett Saints career a brief one.........and outright cut 4th round pick Antonio Pittman to keep Pierre Thomas. But those moves were all about changing the team's culture.

He's also the guy who continued starting Jason David in '07 despite mediocre results and even defended how he was "working his tail off in practice to get better".......remained steadfast in his belief that Ingram was a great player (a faith that took about 2 and a half years to be rewarded).......kept Joe Vitt around long after most fans were clamoring for him to be replaced........gave guys like Nick Toon and Brandon Coleman every reasonable chance.........and shut down some early criticism of Wil Lutz with "hey this guy's still gonna be kicking after I'm done coaching" (a faith that is being rewarded as we speak).

So I'm supposed to believe he might bench his 2nd round pick who, bad snap aside, has looked great in preseason? Please....

Based on his poor performance and his inflated salary, Easton will be hard pressed to make this roster. Cameron Tom and Will Clapp have Out played Easton.

He only costs $2.5M this year and would cost $4M in dead money if we were to release him. We'd likely be better off keeping him this season as depth as opposed to cutting him and still having to pay him anyway.

If he doesn't show significant improvement, next year when his cap hit jumps to $5.5M and dead money falls to $1.5M is when we'd likely part with him.

He only costs $2.5M this year and would cost $4M in dead money if we were to release him. We'd likely be better off keeping him this season as depth as opposed to cutting him and still having to pay him anyway.

If he doesn't show significant improvement, next year when his cap hit jumps to $5.5M and dead money falls to $1.5M is when we'd likely part with him.
Let's face it. how motivated can a guy be when he's getting replaced by a rookie. We still might need him when the money's on the line in the season & he's done good work in the past. I don't doubt he will pick up the pace if he has to come in during the regular season to replace an injured guy.

Let's face it. how motivated can a guy be when he's getting replaced by a rookie. We still might need him when the money's on the line in the season & he's done good work in the past. I don't doubt he will pick up the pace if he has to come in during the regular season to replace an injured guy.

It was McCoy's job to lose from the moment he was drafted. I imagine all parties involved were aware of that. Teams don't typically invest high draft picks in O-linemen for them to "sit and learn".

It was McCoy's job to lose from the moment he was drafted. I imagine all parties involved were aware of that. Teams don't typically invest high draft picks in O-linemen for them to "sit and learn".
Wasn't Easton already signed before the draft?

That Oline unit is a tight-knit group, like they often are. They all have to work together and support each other to be good. They aren't CBs or WR's.

Aside from one play, Easton has been our 6th best lineman. After the first game I thought he might even be 5th best. He's 6th best not because of salary expectations, but because he's being outplayed by McCoy (who has been exceptional) and playing better than Tom and Clapp. Again, take away one bad play, and he's been solid.

Let's see what the next two games show - will he be very good like against the Vikings first unit, or will he have 3-4 more bad plays like the one v the chargers?

So if Brees throws a pick in PS game 3, I guess he won’t get to start. Payton should definitely bench any player who’s made a turnover for regular season game 1. J/K

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom