Camp battle to watch OT (3 Viewers)

What corner did he turn last year with the Jets? Do you mean he turned the corner as far as staying healthy? Because he didn't turn the the corner as far as being good at playing football.

The man was a backup RT and jumbo TE last year. Do we want the Jets' backup RT/Jumbo TE to be our starting LT?

So glad someone else wrote this Drago. At this stage, anyone expecting Smith to start is wearing their 'homer colored glasses'. Last year the Rams traded Smith away for the worst OT in football (Wayne Hunter)! Smith was then cut by the team who traded for him, which was one of the worst teams in the league offensively (the Jets).

Right now - based solely on his performances in this league and NOT his draft position (we all know that means nothing - ask JaMarcus Russell), this pickup is similar to our signing of Joey Harrington before the 08 season. We picked him up to have a look and he had nothing left.

Now I'd love for Smith to win the job and be our Pro Bowl LT for the next 5 years, but anyone expecting it or telling others than Smith has 'turned the corner' isn't dealing in realities right now.

So glad someone else wrote this Drago. At this stage, anyone expecting Smith to start is wearing their 'homer colored glasses'. Last year the Rams traded Smith away for the worst OT in football (Wayne Hunter)! Smith was then cut by the team who traded for him, which was one of the worst teams in the league offensively (the Jets).

Right now - based solely on his performances in this league and NOT his draft position (we all know that means nothing - ask JaMarcus Russell), this pickup is similar to our signing of Joey Harrington before the 08 season. We picked him up to have a look and he had nothing left.

Now I'd love for Smith to win the job and be our Pro Bowl LT for the next 5 years, but anyone expecting it or telling others than Smith has 'turned the corner' isn't dealing in realities right now.

Based on his performance last year he did appear to start the turn the corner and by the way Smith graded out better than any OT that was on the Saints last year.

also, SMith has been RT for his entire NFL career correct? Not a good sign if a cast off backup RT is your starting LT.

What corner did he turn last year with the Jets? Do you mean he turned the corner as far as staying healthy? Because he didn't turn the the corner as far as being good at playing football.

The man was a backup RT and jumbo TE last year. Do we want the Jets' backup RT/Jumbo TE to be our starting LT?
Seeing as how Jonathan Goodwin was a backup C/G for the Jets when we got him, I'd say, yeah, I'd like for us to give another Jets backup O lineman a shot at starting for our O line, especially since we didn't have to trade for the guy and he's taking up very little cap room. The good thing is that there will be real competition at both tackle spots in TC.

everyone's attention is on the LT but have you guys forgot how god awful Strief was last season.. both sides need upgrades, hopefully someone beats ZS out for that starting RT spot in camp this summer!!

Based on his performance last year he did appear to start the turn the corner and by the way Smith graded out better than any OT that was on the Saints last year.

Graded out better than any of our OTs last year? By who, PFF? Lol, don't you think that's a little misleading. Graded out better kind of implies that he was better, that's not true. He just played fewer snaps.

I'm sorry, it's not my place to tell people not to be excited about a new player. Especially one who is a former #2 overall pick at a position we really need help at. The fact is Jason Smith is a low risk, high reward player. All I'm saying is that based on all available information, I do not want him to be starting at either Tackle spot for the Saints.

also, SMith has been RT for his entire NFL career correct? Not a good sign if a cast off backup RT is your starting LT.

He was a LT for some of his rookie season before being ousted by Roger Saffold (who the Rams drafted because Smith hadn't lived up to expectations). He's mostly been at RT during his career (because he's been a liability at Left).

And saying Smith 'turned the corner' last year is misleading. Yes, he graded marginally higher than Bushrod or Strief (who were both appalling by the way) but he only played 265 snaps, many as an 'extra' offensive lineman or RT, rarely having to deal with the opposing team's best pass rushers.

All we can conclusively say of his brief stint with the Jets was that, even in their dire situation offensively, they didn't see enough to keep him on, even at Veteran Minimum. That is not a ringing endorsement.

Again, I too am hoping Smith performs like he's the second coming of Jonathan Ogden - however saying you expect him to start at LT or that he's turned the corner, is creating a false impression of his recent history on these forums.

Look at the QB's Smith has had to block for also. Bradford was a young QB learning the NFL and Sanchez is well just terrible. While I don't have my hopes to high for Smith I am hoping he can come in a be as good as Bushrod but hopefully better. While there have been many busts in the Draft, he was athletic enough to be taken #2.

I know there will be a learing curve for Armstead but I can see him starting at one of the Tackle spots this year, hopefully LT. It would be great to see Jones or Harris step up on man the RT spot while Armstead mans the LT. IMO to start the season I believe it will be Smith at LT and Jones at RT.

I just have lost all hope for Brown starting. He's not that good and can't stay healthy, not a good combination.

This is scary, we are actually having a debate about Jason Smith being our starting LT. How did it come to this?

Serious question, do we have the worst Tackle situation in the league? I'm trying to think of a Tackle combo worse than Strief/C. Brown, and I'm drawing a blank.

This is scary, we are actually having a debate about Jason Smith being our starting LT. How did it come to this?

Serious question, do we have the worst Tackle situation in the league? I'm trying to think of a Tackle combo worse than Strief/C. Brown, and I'm drawing a blank.

For as good as Loomis and co. are at drafting OGs...they seem to fail at drafting OTs.

Look at the QB's Smith has had to block for also. Bradford was a young QB learning the NFL and Sanchez is well just terrible. While I don't have my hopes to high for Smith I am hoping he can come in a be as good as Bushrod but hopefully better. While there have been many busts in the Draft, he was athletic enough to be taken #2.

I know there will be a learing curve for Armstead but I can see him starting at one of the Tackle spots this year, hopefully LT. It would be great to see Jones or Harris step up on man the RT spot while Armstead mans the LT. IMO to start the season I believe it will be Smith at LT and Jones at RT.

I just have lost all hope for Brown starting. He's not that good and can't stay healthy, not a good combination.

Again, I can only believe this is because you have never seen Jason Smith play. During his 4 year career he has been awful and worse. He was kicked out by the team which drafted him #2 overall after just 3 years and he was then cut by the team he went to even though he was asking for vet minimum.

Your QB explanation doesn't make any sense when you consider Smith was replaced by Roger Saffold (a rookie) who easily outplayed Smith and provided Bradford with good protection in 2010.

If you have lost faith in Charles Brown then you have no reason to hold out any for Jason Smith because I can assure you, to this point in their careers, Brown has outperformed Smith (yes, even tho he's hardly seen the field)!

Smith is one of the biggest non-QB draft busts (possibly the biggest) in NFL history. I don't want anyone to think I'm rooting against the kid - however after having watched many of his games I want to make it quite clear - to date he has been a very bad Left Tackle in the NFL. Very, very bad. If you are expecting him to come in and play well... Well, don't expect that!

One of, or maybe the best offense in the NFL.

Worse tackle combo? Does Not Compute.
Sorry, but I wont let PFF tell me how bad our O-line is.

Brown seemed much improved when healthy last year. And if project Smith doesn't win the back up spot, we have our highly touted draft pick.

Streif gets pounded way too much on this site. I like him and I think he does a good job.
Our yard per carry average seems pretty good. Plus he also has a solid backup if he cant get the job done.

Bushrod/Webb in Chicago. The only reason for optimism about our LT situation is we no longer have Bushrod in that mix. Chicago (with the worst line in the NFL) actually managed to pay 6mil/year to downgrade their LT spot. That's impressive.

Incidentally, if I could talk to Coach Payton, I'd love to know at what point last season he realised Bushrod wasn't a starting quality LT in this league and the 'nightmares' he spoke of began. I'm betting it was before our bye week. Let's hope Terron is the solution we're all hoping for!

I could see both tackles replaced if the new guys step up. If not I see Strief and Brown starting with a lot of TE help on the LT side. Smith has massive talent, has just lacked maturity. I doubt Payton will play any games with him. Perform or out and probably end of his career.

One of, or maybe the best offense in the NFL.

Worse tackle combo? Does Not Compute.
Sorry, but I wont let PFF tell me how bad our O-line is.

Brown seemed much improved when healthy last year. And if project Smith doesn't win the back up spot, we have our highly touted draft pick.

Streif gets pounded way too much on this site. I like him and I think he does a good job.
Our yard per carry average seems pretty good. Plus he also has a solid backup if he cant get the job done.

Who told you we had the best offense in the League last year? ESPN? Our offensive efficiency ranking had us 9th. I've been saying this all off-season but even with the worst defense in history, our 2011 offense would've carried us into the post season. Our problems on the offensive line were drive killers time and again last season and are the most overlooked issue on our team.

Fortunately, judging by their comments and all of the activity around the Tackles, the FO is aware of the problems. I just wish a few more fans were...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom