Camp battle to watch OT (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I think after last year both spots are up for grabs. I see 6 guys so far fighting over 4 spots and maybe 1 spot on the practice squad.

Jason Smith a former #2 overall pick was deemed a bust but he stayed healthy last year and seemed to finally turn the corner. He looks to be the front runner at LT.

Charles Brown He was noticeably better last season but can he stay healthy?

Terron Arm stead An extremely athletically gifted draft pick, he is very raw. He may not start this year but the future is bright for this kid. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win the starting RT job this year and eventually be moved to LT.

Zach Strief He is coming off his worst season as a starter. Will he be able to bounce back?

Marcel Jones He's a talented and very strong RT and if he can stay healthy he will push Strief for playing time.

Bryce Harris He was signed off the street last year and showed some potential. He looks to be a practice squad candidate this year.

If everyone stays healthy I can see Smith and Brown as our starters with Strief the #3 OT and Arm stead the #4 with Jones and Harris going to the practice squad.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

Bryce Harris I think did well when brown went down last year. I would love to see Brown and smith work out as your two starting tackles this year, let the rook get some exp.

I think the regime intends that Smith and Brown will be the starters if everything proceeds as they have forseen. However, they have had free agent offensive lineman flame out in camp before (See Kreutz, Olin). Plus Brown will always be a question mark until he shows he can stay on the field and produce on a regular basis.

Everytime we declare Strief done he manages to get his starting slot. So I wouldn't count him out. I do hope someone beats him out because I miss hearing that #64 is an eligible receiver.

Then again, the same was true for Scott Shanle, untill this time when it really looks like he's finished.

Who's our new O-Line coach again?

Is there any info on him that shows he's good at developing players?

If everyone stays healthy I can see Smith and Brown as our starters with Strief the #3 OT and Arm stead the #4 with Jones and Harris going to the practice squad.Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

Agree with everything except Strief as the #3 OT. I think he has to win the RT starting position to remain on the team because of his salary & the youngsters we have in waiting.

This is the 2nd most interesting position battle in training camp behind the battle for the last couple OLB spots.

Armstead is such an exciting prospect... I would love it if he had a Colston-esque offseason and won the starting RT spot...if Smith gets his game together and takes the LT spot I would be so happy.

agreed, but it's going to be a little difficult to really see what's going on - an OT might dominate 1on1s, but we'll have no idea if he's picking up assignments right or anything
- i think i'm most interested in the LBs this year - we'll see them in skills drills, but it's also a bit easier to pick out their production in scrimmages

Jason Smith a former #2 overall pick was deemed a bust but he stayed healthy last year and seemed to finally turn the corner. He looks to be the front runner at LT.

What corner did he turn last year with the Jets? Do you mean he turned the corner as far as staying healthy? Because he didn't turn the the corner as far as being good at playing football.

The man was a backup RT and jumbo TE last year. Do we want the Jets' backup RT/Jumbo TE to be our starting LT?

Thanks Socbe and Guido

That's a nice write on the guy.

What corner did he turn last year with the Jets? Do you mean he turned the corner as far as staying healthy? Because he didn't turn the the corner as far as being good at playing football.

The man was a backup RT and jumbo TE last year. Do we want the Jets' backup RT/Jumbo TE to be our starting LT?

If he earns the spot? Sure.

EXACTLY!!! He will compete and may make team as RT/LT depth...

Armstead (think Wille Roaf) is Saints starter - Day 1

To me the most exciting part of the competition is that besides Strief who is 29, we have Brown and Smith at 26, Harris is 24 and Armstead 22.

We have depth for years to come, with the exception of Strief, every single player is about to hit their prime.

Should be a great competition in training camp for the tackle spots on the 53 roster and Practice squad. Hopefully everyone stays healthy but we know that probably won't happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom