Camping - food (2 Viewers)

seagull

2010 World Champions
Reaction score
We'll be going there after a rainstorm.
The rainwater washes some of the overlaying sediment away.
By doing that it makes the crystals and diamonds more exposed.
I went once and the ideal conditions were a freshly turned-over field, a very good rainstorm and we had both and only found nondiamond rocks. Not many were found by others that weekend either and to make it worst, LSU lost to the Razorbacks in OT that weekend.

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
k, so everyone talking about Arkansas camping has me wanting to go
the wife works a week past memorial day, but the kids and i are off which would be when we would go if we do

i would want to get off early so i'm not setting up camp too late - the 7 yr old has not done an 8hr trip yet so we would need at least one big stop - is Vicksburg the best lunch intermediate spot? does anyone know a better lunch/break place on 61/65?

itztime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
the wife works a week past memorial day, but the kids and i are off which would be when we would go if we do

i would want to get off early so i'm not setting up camp too late - the 7 yr old has not done an 8hr trip yet so we would need at least one big stop - is Vicksburg the best lunch intermediate spot? does anyone know a better lunch/break place on 61/65?
Solly's Tamales is a great hole in the wall and only a few miles off the interstate.

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Vicksburg is great and you can do the battlefield tour. What 7 yr old wouldn't love that!

Brad Mojo

Funkier than you.
Reaction score

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a camping dutch oven and you're using coals, Alton Brown did a great recipe for a clafoutis.

It's sweet without being cloying, and uses very simple ingredients. If you use fruits that are not cherries, it's called a flaugnarde.

The cherry pits from whole fresh cherries are supposed to give off an almondine like flavor, but it's too subtle for my crude American palate, so I like to just add a tsp of almond extract.

I think my next clafoutis/flaugnard will be made with dried fruits mascerated in rum and orange zest or something.

Last edited:

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
I did a short backpacking trip with one of my sons this weekend. We wanted to try something new, so Friday morning I put a couple of cornish game hens in the fridge to start thawing, and then packed them at the bottom of the bear can when we left out at the end of the day after work.

By Saturday evening they had fully thawed; we made a spit and smoked them over the fire for a couple of hours (I even brought some butter to rub on the skin)...

1619999348245.png

We'll definitely be doing this again!

RKNSaint

Idle Wild
Reaction score
Heavy duty foil, sliced bananas, butter, brown sugar, apple juice, and Fireball whiskey. Crimp into a sealed pouch and gently toss into the fire for a couple of minutes.
What do you end up with? It sounds good but am I drinking the resulting concoction?

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What do you end up with? It sounds good but am I drinking the resulting concoction?
It's like a bananas foster with sauce. If you like the sauce, drinking it is not out of the question.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom