Camping - food (1 Viewer)

Taking the boys to Bogue Chitto for a few days
Looking for some interesting camp food ideas
We try to avoid refridgeration as much as possible and pack as light as possible. Instead of bread, we go with tortillas. Hot dogs, PB&J, etc all work well with good tortillas that you can easily warm to that extra touch.

Lol. For breakfast, you can find these milk carton containers of hash browns that work well and keep forever. Instant grits, oatmeal will actually cook in the packet. I'll scratch together some trail mix with unsalted nuts, dried fruit and a small bag of M&Ms. Maybe I'll grab a few small bags of real bacon bits to throw in the hash brown or grits.

Veggies keep well for a few days without refridgeration, so onions, peppers, bananas, apples are favorites. Sometimes I'll pre-mix pancake batter in an old ketchup bottle or ziplock bag. Tyson also has chunks of white meat chicken in a foil pack and the international foods aisle will have something similar, but with pork in a foil packet. Both are good for a quick stir fry, tacos, burritos, etc. I'll also pack instant noodles and miso soup packets for cold weather trips. We've also done a cup of ramen mixed with veggies and a packet of the chunk chicken as a stir fry.

We stay away from the freeze dried meals because they're so salty, but the astronaut ice cream is always a fun treat for little ones. Of course, s'mores are a must. We also take a banana, split it open with a knife while still in the skin and put chocolate and/marshmallow pieces in the opening and set it in foil to place over coals until it all melts together.

that's a great idea - my 13 yr old 'might' be into it - the 7 yr old definitely not (he'd love the fire part, just not the food part - but we'll def do hotdogs open fire method
hell yeah. your 7 year old sounds like my kinda person. fork all that digging and sheet, just let me cook food normally.

good kid.

hell yeah. your 7 year old sounds like my kinda person. fork all that digging and sheet, just let me cook food normally.

good kid.
oh, and, i'd happily take him under my wing. every kid needs an awesome person to guide them and i am that person. i'd teach so many things you didn't know possible.

oh, and, i'd happily take him under my wing. every kid needs an awesome person to guide them and i am that person. i'd teach so many things you didn't know possible.

I think we need a group effort. Clearly your boys are not properly learning about anarchism. I can help in this department.

Wut, you ask for opinions w/o posting a pole w/ a tacoes option as not only a pole option but also a food choice?

(I also say hot dogs)...

Zeetes can prolly teach you how to cook Jameson over a fire...

You do not need a pan for bacon, just use a hot dog roasting fork.CampfireBacon.jpg
Man, I wish I would have read this yesterday - that sounds awesome

boys are in the tent, I’m outside waiting for it to get dark enough for the star explosion
Then I’ll rouse them for a gander then everyone to bed or air mattress/sleeping bag
Great first day that started with seeing my parents for the first time in a year

So i go on Twitter about twice a month.. tonight was one of those times, this popped up and made me think of this thread.. forget what i said about the Costco trial mix, this stuff looks GOOD

I thought everybody these days just used Uber Eats or Waitr.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom