Can a Minnesotan make a good gumbo? (2 Viewers)

The onion trick is also great for jambalaya/dirty rice. They go in first and alone to get the fond from the seared sausage and chicken. Great color and great flavor

Are you outside or do you have klieg lights in your kitchen?

I always thought they were Kliegl lights, but the pot with onions is outside in a 12 gallon jambalaya pot. The other one is inside on the stove and, yes, I do like to have light much brighter than most.

Here are some roux pics, from just starting through each of the colors I spoke of:

Attachments

• 27FF27CF-DE45-4CE7-8396-46CB52EF8B26.jpeg
    27FF27CF-DE45-4CE7-8396-46CB52EF8B26.jpeg
    739.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2D9CD9B5-44C6-4BA9-8946-2D31DD2FBDDA.jpeg
    2D9CD9B5-44C6-4BA9-8946-2D31DD2FBDDA.jpeg
    750.2 KB · Views: 1
  • B86AAC2C-6E31-4F4B-8301-FF2A927E8C5A.jpeg
    B86AAC2C-6E31-4F4B-8301-FF2A927E8C5A.jpeg
    709.9 KB · Views: 5
  • FDB9C345-3EC8-4773-A0E0-32DBAC53F9CD.jpeg
    FDB9C345-3EC8-4773-A0E0-32DBAC53F9CD.jpeg
    736.9 KB · Views: 2
I added a pound of okra (was frozen, you must thaw before adding to the roux or there will be an EXPLOSION and you will be injured):

Attachments

• ECDF807D-C6CE-438F-BAAE-3978D10799B2.jpeg
    ECDF807D-C6CE-438F-BAAE-3978D10799B2.jpeg
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 6
Trinity +1 (the +1 is garlic):

Attachments

• D16EC63A-5A06-45F0-A121-1352238049D4.jpeg
    D16EC63A-5A06-45F0-A121-1352238049D4.jpeg
    850.1 KB · Views: 6
Today's meats were previously smoked/bbq'ed chicken and ribs, a small bit of ham leftover from Easter and some crappy turkey sausage someone thought I would like. I hate to waste things, so I cooked the sausage first to get rid of most of the fat and to awaken the spices that had been used.

Attachments

• 9D012089-AF5A-49DB-9D50-2418C26DA948.jpeg
    9D012089-AF5A-49DB-9D50-2418C26DA948.jpeg
    744.4 KB · Views: 6
Here is another view of the okra that has broken up pretty well as it cooked down. After that I had half of the trinity +1 and continue to cook:

Attachments

• 4DB3A2C4-E768-4555-B8BA-CB9396BC1414.jpeg
    4DB3A2C4-E768-4555-B8BA-CB9396BC1414.jpeg
    617.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2E86347D-56D8-4F34-A5B2-DD03C15725A8.jpeg
    2E86347D-56D8-4F34-A5B2-DD03C15725A8.jpeg
    959.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 1048CB21-81A2-4733-86C3-85C730094AF6.jpeg
    1048CB21-81A2-4733-86C3-85C730094AF6.jpeg
    996.5 KB · Views: 5
Transferred to the pot, added 8 cups of stock and 4 cups of hot water. Then added the meat (torn into bite sized chunks where necessary, skin removed, extra fatty gunk removed).

Attachments

• 5B01D077-E01D-4AB0-AAAF-FEC07E59EB09.jpeg
    5B01D077-E01D-4AB0-AAAF-FEC07E59EB09.jpeg
    793 KB · Views: 5
  • 008E69E3-592C-4D12-A6D5-EF29CB92481E.jpeg
    008E69E3-592C-4D12-A6D5-EF29CB92481E.jpeg
    727.8 KB · Views: 5
  • D922F80F-153C-42D1-BAF4-22DFFE13DA7B.jpeg
    D922F80F-153C-42D1-BAF4-22DFFE13DA7B.jpeg
    727.5 KB · Views: 5
Here is the spice mix:

3 tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground mustard
1tsp thyme
1tsp white pepper
1tsp black pepper

Mix this thoroughly. Once everything has been added to the pot stir in about 2 tbsp of this mixture (save the remainder for next time). Gumbo should then be left on the stove on low and stirred occasionally for the next couple of hours. The gumbo will be good today, better tomorrow once the flavors have married. You can add a little spice mix if the flavor is not what you expect. You're not looking for spicy, you're looking for flavorful - there is a difference.

Serve over rice. I am picky about rice and I will only use Uncle Ben's Converted Rice. Try it against some other white rice sometime and you'll see what I mean. Always salt the rice when cooking, never, ever use bland, unsalted white rice or the gumbo police will show up at your door.

Last edited:
O.k. It's time I jumped into this thread as I have been reading all the posts and feel it is my duty as a Louisiana History teacher to impart some knowledge on this subject.
So I found this excerpt from my course's textbook which explains the history of Gumbo in Louisiana.

The people who came to Louisiana brought traditions of food preparation with them. Over time, they combined those techniques from home with local ingredients to create new dishes that have become a part of Louisiana’s culture. Gumbo is one of the foods most commonly associated with Louisiana. It is a thick soup or stew usually prepared with meats, like duck and sausage, or with fresh local seafood. There is even a vegetarian version called gumbo z’herbes. All gumbos are served over rice. The food traditions immigrants brought with them shaped the way gumbo is prepared and eaten today. The French brought the tradition of roux (a thickening agent made from oil or butter and flour cooked together). Roux gives gumbo its distinctive thickness and dark, rich color. Africans brought okra with them and they knew that it, too, could thicken soups. In fact, one African word for okra was gombo, and this is how many people think gumbo got its name. Native Americans ground sassafras leaves into a spicy powder called filé. All of these methods of thickening and flavoring gumbo are still used today.

So the dish itself is a combination of several different cultures and techniques and ingredients. Okra is a thickening agent, so adding to your gumbo will thicken it up. I generally don't put okra in my gumbo but I do like it with seafood, especially shrimp and crab meat. File as well is a thickening agent and it usually served on the table. I sprinkle some on my bowl right after I serve. And yes, it is on Amazon. Here is what I usually use...
Amazon product ASIN B00279OMRY
Now, as others have said there are many different ways and types of gumbo. Chicken and sausage, seafood, turkey, duck, wild game, etc. Plus depending on where it's being cooked, or more importantly where the person cooking it is from, will determine what is used. For example, I am from Lafayette, and the cajun gumbo is roux based (no tomatoes) and served over white rice usually with garlic bread, sweet potatos, or potato salad (mayo based, and I put a scoop in my bowl right on the side, with the rice as well. I have never seen someone use pot salad instead of rice, but I guess you could. The pot salad should be cold, so you get a bite of cold with the hot gumbo....c'est bon!!).
Others usually closer to New Orleans, where Creole cooking is more pronounced, will put in tomatoes and other items that some might not find traditional. But you can basically add whatever you want. The dish itself was constructed as a way to use leftover food and you just literally throw what you have in the pot. So to me Gumbo shouldn't have tomatoes in it, but to others it must. So whatever you like. If it tastes good, what does it matter? Amiright???
Here is a good article I found about the history of gumbo. It's a good read:

Now, I am going to give you my recipe and tips in my next post. This one has taken my awhile already.

So, what do you need to make a gumbo?
To me the most important thing is the pot. You have to have a heavy, flat bottom pot with plenty of room.
Most people use a cast iron pot or dutch oven. Most Cajuns, like my parents, swear by Magnalite pots. I prefer to use my LeCreuset pots which are porcelain enamel coated cast iron pots. I simply love them. It's basically a non stick cast iron. They are pricey but well worth it, IMO. They have many different brands now, but I have been slowly adding to my collection each summer by going to the LeCreuset Factory store in Orange Beach, AL and saving big $. This is the one I have, or similar.
Amazon product ASIN B0076NOHG2
Next you need a good wooden spoon or whisk/stirrer. Most use a wooden spoon as it won't scratch the pot and is comfortable in hand. But use what you got.
Then like others have said have all your ingredients chopped out and prepped before getting started.
Ingredients generally are: Onion, bell pepper (red or green), celery, garlic, jalapenos (optional), green onions, chicken (I use bone in or a whole chicken cut-up), smoked sausage/tasso/ham/bacon, shrimp/crab/oysters/fish, salt, pepper, white rice, chicken or seafood stock, bread/potato salad, and of course good beer or you're preferred beverage of choice.

So, I basically have two different methods of making gumbo. 1.) The quick and easy way (it's good) 2.) The long way (It's amazing).

1. This is my quick method. For this method I use a pre-made or jarred roux, canned chicken broth, and usually pre-cooked chicken like a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Now sometimes if I am using a rotisserie chicken I will keep the bones and make a 'quick' stock by boiling the bones with a bay leaf and onion, celery, carrot. But if you don't have the time just use canned stock/broth. So pour your stock or broth in the pot and bring to a boil. Next add in the whole or half jar of roux, depending on how much gumbo you are making. Tip: when using jarred roux you have to mix it up a bit since the oil/flour start to separate. So i usually use a fork and start mixing it together the best I can. It actually takes a little bit so do this while you drink a beer and wait for your broth to boil. Now I prefer the Kary's brand roux since it is from Ville Platte and that's Cajun country cha!
Amazon product ASIN B0187M3WYI
Add the roux a spoonful at a time and mix it thoroughly while it is boiling. Use a whisk to mix it good. Once it is mixed up you start adding your veggies, seasonings, sausage, and if using bone-in chicken add now (I be sure to remove the skin and any extra fat). If using boneless chicken add the last 45 minutes or so and with shrimp/crabmeat you can wait till the end. Now just let it simmer for at least an hour or so, but the longer the better. I would say at least 3 hours if possible. Add seasonings to adjust the flavor: salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, or just a good Cajun seasoning like Tony's or Slap Ya Mama. Just make sure your Cajun seasoning is actually made in Louisiana and you should be good. While you wait for your gumbo to finish make some white rice. Put a scoop of rice in the bowl and then ladle your gumbo over top. Sprinkle on some file and some green onions if you have it and stir it up. now eat.
EDIT: I forgot to say, towards the end you'll want to remove the chicken from the pot and remove and discard bones. You can leave them in, but I prefer to de-bone the chicken and then add it back in so it can start to break apart into smaller pieces.

2. This is the long method or the 'traditional' way. Now if I am making my own stock I will make it the day before so it can cool overnight like I described above. Making a homemade stock really makes a difference you can taste. so much flavor. But store bought stock works good to.
So first you make a roux....but what I like to do is brown my sausage in the pot first to get the grease out and I use this as my 'oil' for the roux, plus it adds good flavor. Just lightly brown the cut up sausage and then remove to a plate with paper towels. Then, as others have described the technique I won't go into it but start making your roux. Just get it nice and dark brown like a hershey's bar. Just don't burn it.
Now I just have to mention that I recently got this for a birthday gift....
Amazon product ASIN B008OWT95SIt is an automatic stirrer for sauces and other things. I am anxious to try it to see how well it works. Not sure if it would work for roux but once I try it I will give a review.

Anyway, once you got your roux made and it's nice and dark, add in the onions first for a minute or two, then the peppers and celery. Cook for a few minutes then add the garlic last. Let that cook for a few minutes. Next slowly stir in your stock, making sure to mix in the roux and the veggies until smooth. Bring back to a light boil. Once the roux is fully dissolved add in the bone in chicken, again with the skin taken off to reduce grease. Then you add in your sausage and whatever else you want to throw in there and bring it back to boil. Once it is boiling reduce to a simmer and let simmer for a minimum of 3 hours preferably longer. Stir occasionally and adjust your seasonings. I don't add seasonings until the end so as not to over season it.
Serve over a bowl of white rice with some garlic bread or potato salad or sweet potatoes. Add file after you serve and add more seasoning/hot sauce if you prefer. I like a nice strong bourbon or a ice cold beer to wash it down. Tonnere mes chiens c’est bon!
EDIT:
I forgot to say, towards the end you'll want to remove the chicken from the pot and remove and discard bones. You can leave them in, but I prefer to de-bone the chicken and then add it back in so it can start to break apart into smaller pieces.

So this can be either really simple or complicated depending on what you want. But overall gumbos are relatively simple to make, it just takes practice to hone your technique and your recipe. I love making turkey and sausage gumbo the day after thanksgiving and/or Christmas. I find turkey stock has such good flavor, more robust. Duck gumbo is also very good and I particularly love shrimp and fresh crab gumbo, but is usually a little more pricey to make.

In conclusion, I would recommend using the jar roux the first few times you make it so you can see what the goal is and you can adjust your ingredients and your flavors. The most important thing is have fun and experiment! Try different meat combinations, different spices, etc. Make it your own. Then next time the Vikings play the Saints you can invite a big group over and cook them what we eat down hear all the time. Enjoy!! Keep us updated on when you make one, how it comes out. Don't worry the first few ones I made were terrible, but every one since has gotten better. Practice makes perfect!!!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

I fried some seasoned chicken and warmed some sausage first and then used some of that oil for sauteing my onions. I figured that would help provide some good flavor to the roux. But I think it was mistake because in the end, that fond and bits may have just provided some burnt-tasting notes after being in a burning hot roux for that long.

Some pictures below. Roux I did at a pretty high heat and kept stirring constantly. The first picture is right before adding the pre-cooked onions.

Then with veggies. Then with sausage and chicken in there.

I will be making again, but next time straight roux.

What type of oil do most of you use for your roux?
Olive?
Canola?
Grapeseed?

Would butter work?

Iroux1.pnggumbo2.pnggumbo3.png

The choice to fry is interesting to say the least. I usually boil some chicken to not only have chicken but stock. You can even tear off the meat and put the bones back in (with extra if you have already cut out some back bones and frozen for just this purpose). Homemade stock.

it certainly looks good. Although the use of carrots would be foreign around here. South Louisiana cooking uses trinity combo instead of traditional French. Onion, celery and bell pepper.

kudos on tackling it!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom