Can Anyone Here Explain the Higgs Boson and Why its a Danger to Our Universe? (1 Viewer)

It's magic.

Sorry to bump this thread, I thought there was a more appropriate thread that I couldn't find. I found this story today, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Could anyone here smarter than me let me know what we should take from this?

Universe Shouldn't Be Here, According to Higgs Physics

Universe Shouldn't Be Here, According to Higgs Physics

The universe shouldn't exist — at least according to a new theory.

Modeling of conditions soon after the Big Bang suggests the universe should have collapsed just microseconds after its explosive birth, the new study suggests.

"During the early universe, we expected cosmic inflation — this is a rapid expansion of the universe right after the Big Bang," said study co-author Robert Hogan, a doctoral candidate in physics at King's College in London. "This expansion causes lots of stuff to shake around, and if we shake it too much, we could go into this new energy space, which could cause the universe to collapse."

If true, this sounds like we've just opened a whole new world of questions.

It must've been God then.

surprise ************!

This is why I can't count on Science to tell me everything I need to know. An overwhelming majority of science is based on hypothesis. Many times these hypothesis are proven wrong. Science creates more questions than answers, especially physics.

Even in this thread someone stated that a new discovery could change our ENTIRE understanding of space, time, and matter as we know it. Newsflash: We don't know crap. We just know what questions to ask.

This is why I can't count on Science to tell me everything I need to know. An overwhelming majority of science is based on hypothesis. Many times these hypothesis are proven wrong. Science creates more questions than answers, especially physics.

Even in this thread someone stated that a new discovery could change our ENTIRE understanding of space, time, and matter as we know it. Newsflash: We don't know crap. We just know what questions to ask.

Actually, all science is based on hypothesis. Proving them wrong is how we figure things out. And the fact that new questions arise from the answers we get is how we know progress is being made. We've come a long way since the 1800's. It's only been roughly 200 years that we have been "doing it right" by following the scientific method and there are many things that we do "know."

I would rather hear theories that create more questions than to hear "just because" or "you just gotta have faith."

Time is relative. If I were to advocate this hypothesis, I would say the universe is still expanding within a microsecond and will collapse at any moment.

Time is relative. If I were to advocate this hypothesis, I would say the universe is still expanding within a microsecond and will collapse at any moment.

It hasn't happened in over 13 billion years, so I think we're good for our quick and relatively miniscule 200,000 year stay. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom