Can Briggs play MLB? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I honestly have never seen him play much and don't know much about him but I do know
that he has excellent size and seems like a physical run stuffer @ LB'er.
So, if we were to sign him would we play him in the middle with Fujita and Shanle/Rookie on the outside? I know there has been talk of Rivers being able to play inside but not sure you would want a rookie being the QB for the defense. I guess it depends on the rookie drafted as to whether or not he could handle it.

Just curious if someone has some insight to how he would translate in the middle and if he would be plugged in the middle even if we drafted Rivers or Lofton.

A lot of Bears fans seem to think so.

Mike D said once that he could and that if the Saints were to sign him and kept Shanle that he would more then likely end up playing the MLB spot replaceing Sim as he is a lot worse at MLB then Shanle is at WLB

I don't think Briggs would be as effective playing in the middle. He plays very much free in Chicago, with Urlacher and Mike Brown taking some of the blockers from the middle.

Don't get me wrong, he is a good player, but I am not sure how effective he can be with the saints (even at the weakside) and how much return we may take for such a big contract.

I actually think he projects better to MLBer than WLBer, however the Bears have Urlacher and had to get Briggs on the field too. Obviously they weren't going to move Urlacher.

IMHO, if he were to be signed by the Saints it would be to play MLBer.

I don't think Briggs would be as effective playing in the middle. He plays very much free in Chicago, with Urlacher and Mike Brown taking some of the blockers from the middle.

Don't get me wrong, he is a good player, but I am not sure how effective he can be with the saints (even at the weakside) and how much return we may take for such a big contract.

Miek Brown is almost always inujred, and he is a safety. He is a great player, and wether he would work out in teh middle or not, having a guy of his caliber would help out our D tremendously.

If we sign/draft any kind of quasi-superstar linebacker, and Sim still sees the field, I will drug myself into a coma.

If I'm blowing my free cap space on a D player its Corey Williams. As it looks now Ellis and Dorsey are not likely. Williams is a great DT and a hell of a pass rusher from the position. Without a good DT this offseason the LB's will just get eaten up by blocks or we'll have to play contain/gap discipline with our front 7 again. Between the first-third rounds this year you can then get a great MLB prospect.

If we sign/draft any kind of quasi-superstar linebacker, and Sim still sees the field, I will drug myself into a coma.

Don't bogart it all. I'll need some too. :)

If we sign/draft any kind of quasi-superstar linebaker Sim won't be on the team anymore. He is a FA and will likely not be resigned either way.

i dont think he projects well at all at MLB- hes about 230-240, small and fast-classic WLB that plays ins space and flies to the ball from sideline to side line, not not a banger, clogger or thumper. Plus its a completely different set of reads from WLB to MLB, not an easy adjustment and as ive siad before most guys that switch lb postions like Brooking, Thomas, Brooks,Urlacher and Lewis played MLB before

i think it woul be a square peg in a round hole-if we sigh him-let him plya at WLB and make plays and bring in true MLB either a rookie of another free agent

If I'm blowing my free cap space on a D player its Corey Williams. As it looks now Ellis and Dorsey are not likely. Williams is a great DT and a hell of a pass rusher from the position. Without a good DT this offseason the LB's will just get eaten up by blocks or we'll have to play contain/gap discipline with our front 7 again. Between the first-third rounds this year you can then get a great MLB prospect.

You really think Thomas and Young are that terrible? I've always loved the way Young plays with the high motor and usually seems to get some good penetration. I know Thomas is getting older by the second but he is still decent and takes on blocks well and holds his ground for the most part. I really think Simoneaux is terrible and the most non-aggresive LB'er in the league. I can't attest for his smart, heady play but apparently he isn't too quick at diagnosing plays when he can't make a tackle until it's 5 or 6 yards downfield. You put Willis, healthy Vilma, Ray Lewis, L. Fletcher on our team and he has twice the stops that Simoneaux had.

Not saying I don't want or don't think we need a DT but if I had a choice between DT and LB'er then I'll take that playmaking LB'er......of course, if we can get both I'd take that too. :hihi:

Not saying I don't want or don't think we need a DT but if I had a choice between DT and LB'er then I'll take that playmaking LB'er......of course, if we can get both I'd take that too. :hihi:

That was the point. You can get both. DT is light in the draft. LB is so deep its ridiculous. The LB talent 1st to 2nd round is about equal, and there are several good prospects that could be there in the 3rd also.

I'd rather get a DT in FA, then blow our entire cap on one guy, who isn't even a natural MLB, when we can probably get someone just as good at MLB in the draft.

Can we stop talking about players being too small to play MLB. Size no longer matters at MLB speed is much more important.

Look at the best players at MLB other then Urlacher none of them are especially big. 230-240lbs. is the perfect size for a MLB.

I agree with Cory Williams the DTs in the draft are not great other then Ellis and Dorsey. The LBs are much deeper with 6-8 possible 1st rounders. Spend the money on a spot that we won't be able to draft.

Last edited:
It is all in the pick the Saints can turn the D around with a DT CB and a MLB IMO. I know we would like a FS but we have KK who I really think could play it well and did so when given the oppertunity last season. If we can sign Florance and Williams and get a MLB in the draft either in round 1 or 2 we could go BPA the rest of the draft and not worry about taking players to high because of need. Lofton would be my pick in round two. Take a look at this D

DE Smith
DT Williams Moorehead
NT Thomas Clancy
DEGrant Wynn
SLB Fujita Evans
MLB Lofton Mitchell
WLB Shanle/DP/FA
SS Harper Reis
FS KK Bullocks
LCB McK DP David Young
RCB Florance Craft
DP = Draft Pick

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom