Can Briggs play MLB? (1 Viewer)

It is all in the pick the Saints can turn the D around with a DT CB and a MLB IMO. I know we would like a FS but we have KK who I really think could play it well and did so when given the oppertunity last season. If we can sign Florance and Williams and get a MLB in the draft either in round 1 or 2 we could go BPA the rest of the draft and not worry about taking players to high because of need. Lofton would be my pick in round two. Take a look at this D

DE Smith
DT Williams Moorehead
NT Thomas Clancy
DEGrant Wynn
SLB Fujita Evans
MLB Lofton Mitchell
WLB Shanle/DP/FA
SS Harper Reis
FS KK Bullocks
LCB McK DP David Young
RCB Florance Craft
DP = Draft Pick

That defense has 8-8 written all over it to me. I sure hope we have more turnover than that.
I think we need two new starters at LB'er (FA and a Rook) whether it be Briggs/Boley/Williams along with Lofton/Rivers/Conner I'm not sure but I don't think we have a starting caliber LB'er on our team at this point. Fujita is a solid player but highly overrated on this board and would be a decent player with more athleticism around him but is not a playmaker that can carry a defense. We also need a new starting Safety and Corner.......Gibril Wilson or Madieu Williams would be nice additions especially Wilson but I'm sure we aren't looking to break the bank in FA. And at corner, then you have to get a physical corner with size.....Foxworth and Florence aren't the answer and seem like the second coming of J. David to me.

I certainly don't have all the answers but it seems like we have more questions than answers on defense and need playmakers at almost every position.

WHY ? why would you pay top money to find out? lb has not cost us games, jason david has, pass rush has, fix those first or with big money then take care of lb

We need help in several areas on D. However, what we ned most is a "face". A face that brings fear. A Ray Lewis type fear, national hits for all to view. We need a face on D like we have with Drew, MC and Reg on O. Drew Dat and Stomp Dat.

You don't think we need LB'ers? :dunno:

yes we need lbs, do we need to spend all of our free agent money on a lb, and then move him to a new position...NO

If we get a high profile FA lets stop the passing by either getting a DT like Albert Haynesworth for pass rush or an asante samuel for coverage. wish we could get both but too much cash, but those are bigger flaws than lb in my opinion.

If I'm blowing my free cap space on a D player its Corey Williams. As it looks now Ellis and Dorsey are not likely. Williams is a great DT and a hell of a pass rusher from the position. Without a good DT this offseason the LB's will just get eaten up by blocks or we'll have to play contain/gap discipline with our front 7 again. Between the first-third rounds this year you can then get a great MLB prospect.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: corey is number one on my free agent list. i also like shuan rogers but i think hell get cut!

Miek Brown is almost always inujred, and he is a safety. He is a great player, and wether he would work out in teh middle or not, having a guy of his caliber would help out our D tremendously.

Mike Brown indeed is a safety, and when on the field he is always attacking the gaps between the guards and tackles on running plays. Also his injuries prove my point. Lance Briggs is less effective in the bears defense when Mike Brown is not playing.

Briggs is a good player, but I don't think we would not have the impact expected based on the investment he will command.

I would prefer to sign before the draft a defensive lineman and specially an experience corner then to sign Briggs and then drafting a lineman (since Dorsey and Ellis won't be there) and a rookie corner. Actually, I would not have a problem drafting back to back linebackers if we sign a tackle and a corner in free agency.

Mike Brown indeed is a safety, and when on the field he is always attacking the gaps between the guards and tackles on running plays. Also his injuries prove my point. Lance Briggs is less effective in the bears defense when Mike Brown is not playing.

Briggs is a good player, but I don't think we would not have the impact expected based on the investment he will command.

I would prefer to sign before the draft a defensive lineman and specially an experience corner then to sign Briggs and then drafting a lineman (since Dorsey and Ellis won't be there) and a rookie corner. Actually, I would not have a problem drafting back to back linebackers if we sign a tackle and a corner in free agency.

I would be ecstatic if we drafted LB'ers in the first 2 rounds. Rivers/Lofton would be a nice start to building a young athletic defense.

Rivers/Lofton would be a nice start to building a young athletic defense.

That would be incredible if someway we can sign Corey Williams and/or Tommy Kelley to reinforce the line, plus if some way they can resolve the problem of cornerback during free agency.

If I'm blowing my free cap space on a D player its Corey Williams. As it looks now Ellis and Dorsey are not likely. Williams is a great DT and a hell of a pass rusher from the position. Without a good DT this offseason the LB's will just get eaten up by blocks or we'll have to play contain/gap discipline with our front 7 again. Between the first-third rounds this year you can then get a great MLB prospect.

If I were going that route, I'd go for Haynesworth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom