Can Charles Grant play DT??? (1 Viewer)

willbill

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Would anybody consider him moving to the middle?? And us drafting a DE in the first should one worthy of the 10th pick be available? I don't think he will because i think that his drop off in sacks is not because a lack of effort. I think its from a lack of aggresiveness in the defensive scheme. I think that Charles Grant has sacrificed sacks for disciplined play against the run. If we had better linebackers the coaches may let Charles Grant pin his ears back more often. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Not sure what that means!!!

It means that in real life football players don't do a whole lot of changing positions, especially veterans.

Secondly, the Charles Grant to DT has been discussed 293,495,390 times on this forum over the past 2 years. Thats the exact number. I know it sounds like a lot, but I counted.

You don't change a players position because of one down season. DT's are also paid a ton less then DE's. Grant is a DE, and will remain one.

Would anybody consider him moving to the middle?? And us drafting a DE in the first should one worthy of the 10th pick be available? I don't think he will because i think that his drop off in sacks is not because a lack of effort. I think its from a lack of aggresiveness in the defensive scheme. I think that Charles Grant has sacrificed sacks for disciplined play against the run. If we had better linebackers the coaches may let Charles Grant pin his ears back more often. Just a thought.

I just remember when we tried to do the same thing to Darren Howard and how that didn't really work all that well.

Only on 3rd and Long...

No joke, a quick search would probably have 10 different threads on this same subject.
That stated: we need a bona fide star at that position. Grant would PROBABLY be no better than what we have there at present AND be much more expensive.

it don't really work that way.... if you worked as a manager somewhere and they came to you and said, i know you've been here doing a great job for the last couple years but we wanna demote you from ur window view to the basement....

do u think ur worker morale would be the same??

When Grant was asked this in the Haz regime he came very close to refusing to do it. Like others said, its a demotion. A guy might change positions and have it work out if motivated but he defiinitely wouldn't be.

Would anybody consider him moving to the middle?? And us drafting a DE in the first should one worthy of the 10th pick be available? I don't think he will because i think that his drop off in sacks is not because a lack of effort. I think its from a lack of aggressiveness in the defensive scheme. I think that Charles Grant has sacrificed sacks for disciplined play against the run. If we had better linebackers the coaches may let Charles Grant pin his ears back more often. Just a thought.

Could he do it? Yes, I think he could but it would be a big waste of his talents as a DE and not really addressing the need at DT. As a DE Grant is very good and I completely agree on the reason why his sack numbers have dropped, but as a DT Grant would be mediocre at best. Regardless I think the Saints could use whatever help on the DL they can get. If that means drafting a DE at 10 then so be it if that is the best player available.

All valid points but it's worth remembering Jim Wilks, our greatest ever DT started life as a DE, and never thought himself too good to play the role.

key word: remembering.

as in long time ago... different era; different CBA; different salary structure (no cap)... simply put... apples vs. oranges.

But man did I love having Wilks in there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom