Can Cincinnati Be A Dark Horse For Payton? (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know the report a few months back listed Dallas, Miami, and the Chargers with the Chiefs being a possibility if Reid retires.
But what about Cincinnati? The only winning season Zac Taylor had was that almost championship season at 10-7. Can Burrow lure Payton to Cincinnati? Even though Bengals ownership doesn’t have the reputation.

He got the Bengals to the Bowl in like three years, I think he gets a pass for at least this year. If I'm Payton the Chargers are the place, although he did mention ownership stability in his interview with Nick.

I think Jerry Jones throws the bank book at him early next year, and I think he will be the highest paid coach in history
I don't think it's money motivated...you can make more doing TV. I think if he returns to the sideline it's going to be motivated by environment. The Dallas sports ecosystem esp Cowboys is too fussy/high drama/etc....all those reasons why he hated the AB workout circus are in a normal "Tuesday" in Dallas

Listening to Sean’s interviews and reminiscing on almost drafting Mahomes AND him saying in Nick’s interview that he could wait two years, I’m leaning to KC.
I think Dallas may be used as a bargaining chip
I think if Reid retires they'll probably go in-house with EB as we did with DA.

I don't think it's money motivated...you can make more doing TV. I think if he returns to the sideline it's going to be motivated by environment. The Dallas sports ecosystem esp Cowboys is too fussy/high drama/etc....all those reasons why he hated the AB workout circus are in a normal "Tuesday" in Dallas
The one thing that helps Dallas also hurts it the most. Media attention.
Payton can’t have a ‘14-‘16 rebuilding run with the Cowboys. You can’t even have a season where a playoff appearance is seen as “going on the right track.” It’s championship or bust. Every. Single. Season.

If he gets enjoyment out of broadcasting and is successful at that I could see him staying retired. Money is not a factor for him I don't think. Conquering another field I believe would rank pretty high. Look at John Madden.....who wouldn't want that kind of success across different platforms?

If he gets enjoyment out of broadcasting and is successful at that I could see him staying retired. Money is not a factor for him I don't think. Conquering another field I believe would rank pretty high. Look at John Madden.....who wouldn't want that kind of success across different platforms?
EA Sports Sean Payton 2030 football for XBox, Playston, and PC???

Can't dismiss Dallas as a possibility but I think the connection between Payton and Dallas is exaggerated. It was one stop in his career for three years. It happened that it was his last job before getting hired in New Orleans so his family was settled there, and they kept a residence. He was soon divorced from his wife and his kids are grown, so I don't know that the region of Dallas holds any particular draw for Payton anymore. It comes down to the job. In New Orleans, he enjoyed strong, competent team management, and ownership that entrusted their hires and stayed out of the way. That isn't the Cowboys organization.

He's worked for Jones, so there is always that possibility that Payton thinks it could work, but from a roster and organizational standpoint, it's hard to imagine that Payton won't have better choices.

Zac Taylor takes over a horrible under-achieving club in 2019, fires his QB
Drafts new QB 2020, team improving, and draft capital is being well spent.
2021 team in in the Super Bowl, Burrow and Chase are household names.

Why they gonna fire him and hire Sean Payton?

Can't dismiss Dallas as a possibility but I think the connection between Payton and Dallas is exaggerated. It was one stop in his career for three years. It happened that it was his last job before getting hired in New Orleans so his family was settled there, and they kept a residence. He was soon divorced from his wife and his kids are grown, so I don't know that the region of Dallas holds any particular draw for Payton anymore. It comes down to the job. In New Orleans, he enjoyed strong, competent team management, and ownership that entrusted their hires and stayed out of the way. That isn't the Cowboys organization.

He's worked for Jones, so there is always that possibility that Payton thinks it could work, but from a roster and organizational standpoint, it's hard to imagine that Payton won't have better choices.
I think the Dallas rumors are rooted in the fact that everyone who has worked or played for Dallas stays or eventually comes back.
I think Ditka, Reeves, and Payton are the only ones who were in Dallas who didn’t have the majority of their coaching career as a Cowboy.

Zac Taylor takes over a horrible under-achieving club in 2019, fires his QB
Drafts new QB 2020, team improving, and draft capital is being well spent.
2021 team in in the Super Bowl, Burrow and Chase are household names.

Why they gonna fire him and hire Sean Payton?

He's 16-34 as the Bengals head coach, and currently off to an 0-2 start, so I don't think the idea he could become replaceable, under certain circumstances, is completely unfounded. That said, the Bengals stuck with Lewis through extended mediocrity.

Not saying it’s good value, but if SP goes to Cincinnati in exchange for Joe Burrow and 2 2nds, I expect Swimmer reinstated and an open apology letter written to Coach Pete.

I think the Dallas rumors are rooted in the fact that everyone who has worked or played for Dallas stays or eventually comes back.
I think Ditka, Reeves, and Payton are the only ones who were in Dallas who didn’t have the majority of their coaching career as a Cowboy.

I think the Dallas rumors are rooted in the fact that there is an oversized fascination with that organization and the absurd notion that why wouldn't everybody want to be there given the chance.

He's 16-34 as the Bengals head coach, and currently off to an 0-2 start, so I don't think the idea he could become replaceable, under certain circumstances, is completely unfounded. That said, the Bengals stuck with Lewis through extended mediocrity.
Barring some ridiculous circumstances, Zac Taylor is not getting fired.

Dallas is the front runner in my estimation. It's totally a Jerry Jones thing to do anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom