Can Deonte Harris add Explosive Receiving Value Similar to Tyreek Hill? (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
There was one player who blew me away in the beginning of the season and continued to blow me away as he matured during the season. Even in the beginning of the season when he made some mental mistakes on returning or not returning kicks, Deonte Harris blew me away. Every time he was on the field, I would just start smiling and my adrenaline level would jump through the roof.

He's the same size and near the same speed as Tyreek. He seems to have excellent ball catching skills. And he will be a part of the scheme of the best offensive coordinator in the league. He's just explosive and disruptive in open field.

Can Harris be as good or near as good as Tyreek Hill?

All I know is he's electric with the ball in his hands and I have to think Payton wants to get him involved in the offense more next year.

Last edited:
Too soon to tell IMO.

That deep pass in the playoffs was nice, but we have to remember that no one expects Hill to throw there, so the coverage may have been a little lax.

But he's shown some real potential on offense I think.

Too soon to tell IMO.

That deep pass in the playoffs was nice, but we have to remember that no one expects Hill to throw there, so the coverage may have been a little lax.

I disagree. Harris ran a beautiful route. Cornerback didn’t even Know his own name at the end of the play.

He's got elite vision. It's what makes him such a great return man. With his burst and vision, we may actually be able to run a successful WR screen. And he's shown he can get around the edge with every jet sweep he had this year. TLL would always get stopped for a loss. He's exactly what we tried to make TLL but is actually successful at it. From UDFA to All Pro in his rookie season. He's definitely got potential to do work in the offense.

Pssst...it's Harris not Hall.

All I know is he's electric with the ball in his hands and I have to think Payton wants to get him involved in the offense more next year.

Thanks much Inside. I think I made the changes. I guess I'm kinda shell shocked over the bombing in the Coach Pete thread that's impacting my memory. But my Ex would say that's been happening for a long time - lol

So if SP can mature him to being a full WR, our receiving team looks a lot better. I wouldn't mind seeing us go after Austin Hooper. 1) That would hurt the Turds 2) That would hurt the Turds 3) He is a stellar receiver 4) A very competent blocker.

Hooper and Cook on the field with MT, Harris and Kamara are pretty strong on paper. A move like that would make us more of a power offense which would help Brees if he comes back, plus add an explosive element who can break plays and not stretch Drew's arm on bombs.

BTW: I think I just got engaged. She's awesome, but I wonder if I'll do the Swimmer magic on her and she ends up as Mrs Swimmer #3 talking to herself a lot in empty rooms. I pray not - lol

That route he ran on Xavier R was beautiful. Every time my son saw that play, he likes to use the soccer term "megged". Taysom threw a great ball but Deonte' still had to turn off the after burners.

What an electric player he is. We have options there and Sean can certainly open up the playbook because of his explosive ability. I see the comparison with Tyreek but for me it's his team mate Mecole Hardman.

I like him a lot, but I think it is unfair to compare him right now to Hill. Harris has waist go. We have to consider he is way smaller than Hill.

Hill is 5-10, 185
Harris is 5-6, 170. That is not a lot of body to absorb hits.

If he can handle the punishment, I think he can develop into a weapon for us, but not in the volume the chiefs use Hill.

giphy.gif

Man.. that route was a thing of beauty.

It's not like Rhodes fell asleep at the wheel either, he was playing Cover 4 zone and was bailing out.. he just bit hard on the outside move, head nod and then Deonte cut hard back inside...

you can tell the potential to be a good route runner is there.

Remember now, Tyreek Hill was thought of as a gimmick gadget player, and pure returner his Rookie year in 2016. He dedicated himself to his craft and really learned the position over the off-season and blew up in 2017.

If Payton has a plan for Deonte to be a bigger part of the offense going forward there's no reason he can't be the occasional big play threat. He would probably have to add a few pounds of muscle to his frame though...

Last edited:
I’ve said more than once in receiver threads that because of Drew not being able to throw deep as well anymore we needed a Tyreek Hill type that can take a short passes make somebody miss and house it. Well Harris can do that.

Is he the long term answer, we don’t know yet but Sean has said he sees Tyreek Hill in him and he wants to give him more touches.

Harris looks like a monster in training.

This season, Payton used him on obvious plays. Deep throws. WR screens. Reverses. All things a defense keys up on when it comes to a player like Harris. I think this was done to ease him into the system.

I think next season, Payton is going to put Harris in the slot a lot more. He has all the ability to be a clone of Darren Sproles. His quickness and cuts, how dangerous he is in the open field. Put him in the slot and there isn't a safety or LB in the league who can matchup. He's also a serious deep threat and if you miss a tackle on him on a slant, he's probably taking it to the house.

It is crazy to think Harris is at like, 25% of his actual potential.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom