Can Deonte Harris add Explosive Receiving Value Similar to Tyreek Hill? (1 Viewer)

giphy.gif

Man.. that route was a thing of beauty.

It's not like Rhodes fell asleep at the wheel either, he was playing Cover 4 zone and was bailing out.. he just bit hard on the outside move, head nod and then Deonte cut hard back inside...

you can tell the potential to be a good route runner is there.

Remember now, Tyreek Hill was thought of as a gimmick gadget player, and pure returner his Rookie year in 2016. He dedicated himself to his craft and really learned the position over the off-season and blew up in 2017.

If Payton has a plan for Deonte to be a bigger part of the offense going forward there's no reason he can't be the occasional big play threat. He would probably have to add a few pounds of muscle to his frame though...

With his height, we have to have someone that can deliver the ball over the shoulder, in stride and on time. As blown as that coverage was, Rhodes was just a fraction of a second too late to break that up. #22 (Safety?) almost gets there on time too.

An under / late thrown pass turns that into a jump ball with defenders and I wonder how many of those he'd end up coming down with. It's been a long time since I've any of our QBs deliver a deep shot to a WR in stride.

giphy.gif

Man.. that route was a thing of beauty.

It's not like Rhodes fell asleep at the wheel either, he was playing Cover 4 zone and was bailing out.. he just bit hard on the outside move, head nod and then Deonte cut hard back inside...

you can tell the potential to be a good route runner is there.

Remember now, Tyreek Hill was thought of as a gimmick gadget player, and pure returner his Rookie year in 2016. He dedicated himself to his craft and really learned the position over the off-season and blew up in 2017.

If Payton has a plan for Deonte to be a bigger part of the offense going forward there's no reason he can't be the occasional big play threat. He would probably have to add a few pounds of muscle to his frame though...
Steve Smith was once a special teams gadget. Turned out to be a monster. Always wanted to see him and Brees on the same squad

There was one player who blew me away in the beginning of the season and continued to blow me away as he matured during the season. Even in the beginning of the season when he made some mental mistakes on returning or not returning kicks, Deonte Harris blew me away. Every time he was on the field, I would just start smiling and my adrenaline level would jump through the roof.

He's the same size and near the same speed as Tyreek. He seems to have excellent ball catching skills. And he will be a part of the scheme of the best offensive coordinator in the league. He's just explosive and disruptive in open field.

Can Harris be as good or near as good as Tyreek Hill?
In a word , Yes

Some Deonte Harris trivia

"On one memorable kickoff, Harris received a lateral at the 20 after an attempted squib kick and took it for a touchdown in a 2017 playoff win against Findley. That was one of two kickoff return touchdowns by Harris in that game. He also scored touchdowns on a pair of long pass receptions -- all four touchdowns coming in a second-half comeback from down 10-3 at halftime to win 45-26."

"The first punt Harris returned in college went 89 yards for a touchdown "

"At Pro Day hosted by Harvard, Harris posted a 4.35-second time in the 40-yard dash. "

"It all hit him the morning after he received the news that he had made the team. “The next morning, I woke up at like 5 o’clock in the morning and I drove to the practice facility,” Harris said on Glenn Clark Radio Jan. 15. “I sat in the parking lot for probably like 20 minutes just sitting there like, ‘This is a dream come true. This is what I always wanted to do since I started playing football when I was 4 or 5 years old.’ That was the moment I realized.”

But Harris’ feel-good story hardly stopped there. He returned 36 punts for 338 yards and a touchdown. He returned 24 kicks for 644 yards and a long of 51 yards. After the regular season, he was named the first-team All-Pro punt returner by the Associated Press, and on Jan. 26 in Orlando, he’ll be rubbing shoulders with the best players in football at the Pro Bowl."

With his height, we have to have someone that can deliver the ball over the shoulder, in stride and on time. As blown as that coverage was, Rhodes was just a fraction of a second too late to break that up. #22 (Safety?) almost gets there on time too.

An under / late thrown pass turns that into a jump ball with defenders and I wonder how many of those he'd end up coming down with. It's been a long time since I've any of our QBs deliver a deep shot to a WR in stride.

Taysom's pass traveled over 57 yards in the air. Guess how many completed passes, across the entire NFL, traveled further this year? What is the LCAD (longest completed air distance) for 2019?

In the entire 2019 season (approximately 16,000 passes) only 8 passes traveled further. The longest of which flew less than 3 yards further.

Yet you all think Taysom's pass was bad?

Taysom's pass traveled over 57 yards in the air. Guess how many completed passes, across the entire NFL, traveled further this year? What is the LCAD (longest completed air distance) for 2019?

In the entire 2019 season (approximately 16,000 passes) only 8 passes traveled further. The longest of which flew less than 3 yards further.

Yes. It hung up in the air and was late getting to the receiver who was WIDE open and would have scored easily with a better-thrown ball.

How many of these were 15 yards underthrown?

Absolutely! I see an ever-expanding role for Harris in the future. Especially with another season for Payton to work him into the Offense.

The measure of a good deep pass isn't the total distance it travels as a measurement.

It's how accurately can you place it based on the route, combined with the amount of time it takes to get to the target.

Almost all of the Quarterbacks in this league can just throw the Football atleast 45-50 yards in the air... some of those footballs will take 4 - 5 seconds to get there, having hang times and wonky trajectories like a punt though... those are the type of moon-balls that hang in the air and are easily interceptable by DBs.

It's more about timing, and how quickly you can get the Football UP and DOWN accurately into the window.

Last edited:

How many of these were 15 yards underthrown?

I don't know what you point is? None of those throws were even close to the 57+ air yards of Taysom's pass to Harris. And only the shortest pass was in stride.

More over, the longest in that video (50.7 yards) has the receiver almost stopped, and backstepping for a punt style catch with a defender all over him exactly like the Taysom Harris Bomb only Taysom's throw was 7 yards further.

AND 15 YARDS UNDERTHROWN? That is ridiculous. The throw would have been 72 air yards. I think that would have been an NFL record. I don't think you realized it but you made my case very nicely.

Finally did you even watch your own video to the end?

Pass # 5 - 45.3 yards - Receiver in stride
Pass # 4 - 49.0 yards - Receiver dead stop, back to goal punt style catch (just like Harris except harris was still backpedaling)
Pass # 3 - 49.6 yards - Receiver slowed, waiting, backpedaling, punt style catch (just like Harris)
Pass # 2 - 50.3 yards - Receiver slowed, waiting, backpedaling, punt style catch (just like Harris)
Pass # 1 - 51.7 yards - Receiver slowed, waiting, backpedaling, punt style catch (just like Harris)

I don't think you issue is with the throw I think it is with Taysom.

I don't know what you point is? None of those throws were even close to the 57+ air yards of Taysom's pass to Harris. And only the shortest pass was in stride.

More over, the longest in that video (50.7 yards) has the receiver almost stopped, and backstepping for a punt style catch with a defender all over him exactly like the Taysom Harris Bomb only Taysom's throw was 7 yards further.

AND 15 YARDS UNDERTHROWN? That is ridiculous. The throw would have been 72 air yards. I think that would have been an NFL record. I don't think you realized it but you made my case very nicely.

Pass # 4 - 49.0 yards - Receiver dead stop, back to goal punt style catch (just like Harris except harris was still backpedaling)
Pass # 3 - 49.6 yards - Receiver slowed, waiting, backpedaling, punt style catch (just like Harris)
Pass # 2 - 50.3 yards - Receiver slowed, waiting, backpedaling, punt style catch (just like Harris)
Pass # 1 - 51.7 yards - Receiver slowed, waiting, backpedaling, punt style catch (just like Harris)

Yeah, that was the wrong video, somehow I copied the wrong link. And even still, only the Winston throw was anywhere near as underthrown as Taysom's.

Here's the video I was attempting to post:

No matter how you slice it, Taysom underthrew it by 15 yards. He either needed to throw the ball:
- Earlier
- Farther
- At a lower angle to arrive faster

Bruh, you registered 2 days ago and have 20 posts, every single one of which is about Taysom Hill. One of us does have an agenda, you're correct about that.

Anyway, that play was all Deonte Harris - he broke the defender's ankles and he made the contested catch. And he's who this thread is about, anyway. Do you have anything to add about Harris' play? Are you actually a Saints fan?

No matter how you slice it, Taysom underthrew it by 15 yards. He either needed to throw the ball:
- Earlier
- Farther
- At a lower angle to arrive faster

Are you actually a Saints fan?

That Harris Catch was the 8th longest throw out of around 16 thousand passes this season and you think he under threw it. Only 3 yards shorter than the longest pass of the season. and if you watch all of the weekly best you will see that the majority meet your definition of underthrown.

Did you get your Football acumen from playing Madden on an Apple II

I like him a lot, but I think it is unfair to compare him right now to Hill. Harris has waist go. We have to consider he is way smaller than Hill.

Hill is 5-10, 185
Harris is 5-6, 170. That is not a lot of body to absorb hits.

If he can handle the punishment, I think he can develop into a weapon for us, but not in the volume the chiefs use Hill.
he may be a smaller target but 170 on a 5'6 frame isn't much different from 185 on a 5'10 frame. He's pretty compact and elusive so I think he can handle it. Although its not as many plays, I think the blows received on returns can be harder than most plays and he's held up well.

There was a guy for the Redskins that was also pretty good as a returner for a few years and was 5'7 150 pounds. Desean Jackson is taller and also 170 pounds and he's had a pretty long career. Tarik Cohen isn't much bigger and handles a decent workload. Taylor Gabriel is also a similar size and has had decent production. Marquise Brown had decent production this year and is 5'9 170. I'm sure there's more, but the main problem would be his height since he's less of a target. Taller guys have had more success here, but we could find creative ways to involve him in the offense, similar to the way the Chiefs use Hill, screens, shovel passes etc.

There was one player who blew me away in the beginning of the season and continued to blow me away as he matured during the season. Even in the beginning of the season when he made some mental mistakes on returning or not returning kicks, Deonte Harris blew me away. Every time he was on the field, I would just start smiling and my adrenaline level would jump through the roof.

He's the same size and near the same speed as Tyreek. He seems to have excellent ball catching skills. And he will be a part of the scheme of the best offensive coordinator in the league. He's just explosive and disruptive in open field.

Can Harris be as good or near as good as Tyreek Hill?
No, not nearly as explosive even by 50%. Will never be a TH but can be more of a slot receiver.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom