Can Easton be a full-time guard next year? (1 Viewer)

I'm guessing Peat will not be resigned. I think MIN exposed a major weakness for DB with that inside pressure and I hope we have an answer for it next season.

Peat needs to go! He isn't worth the money and he has injury issues.
He looked painfully slow and overweight against the Vikings...

Make him earn it. Sign Brandon Scherff or whomever and/or draft someone with mauler in their DNA and let the best man win.
This is what I’m expecting. Usually when the Saints have glaring holes that MUST be filled they draft one and bring in a veteran free-agent. I imagine they will do this for G and a WR. At least I hope they do

I think Eason played very well in the games Peat missed and it still baffles me why Payton didn’t pull Peat in or after the 1st quarter when the defense was specifically lining Griffin over Peat and getting pressure up the middle.

Omameh also played well this year at both guard and LT. He is a FA and should definitely be re-signed. With Armstead missing games every year, we need a solid back up LT and if we let Peat go Omameh is a must sign.

Clapp did ok and hopefully will continue to get better. He played mostly as the 6th man on heavy run downs and did play Guard some. He wasn’t bad and wasn’t great but he is still young.

Tom was on IR and is a FA. He’s still young also and I have no clue what we are going to do with him.

There’s also Ethan Greenwich (sp) who can play both guard and tackle but was ineligible all season and didn’t play.

I think we still draft a Lineman later on and probably bring in a bunch of UDFA’s also.

A note on Armstead regarding Coach Pete. A lot of people tend to forget many of his predictions, easily understandable because some weeks he makes a lot predictions.

During the end of the 2018 offseason, included in one of the Coach Pete articles, Coach Pete said that his Saints sources were telling him that Armstead took an entirely new and very dedicated offseason program. Not just weights, but also healthy foods and overall much healthier offseason dedication. Coach Pete noted that Armstead previously had very sloppy offseason conditioning regimes before last year's offseason. I think we are seeing the beneficial results. Has Armstead ever played 15 regular-season games in his career as he did this just last season?

I am hopeful that Armstead sticks with his new, healthy offseason program this year which could result in another more complete season this coming year.

A note on Armstead regarding Coach Pete. A lot of people tend to forget many of his predictions, easily understandable because some weeks he makes a lot predictions.

During the end of the 2018 offseason, included in one of the Coach Pete articles, Coach Pete said that his Saints sources were telling him that Armstead took an entirely new and very dedicated offseason program. Not just weights, but also healthy foods and overall much healthier offseason dedication. Coach Pete noted that Armstead previously had very sloppy offseason conditioning regimes before last year's offseason. I think we are seeing the beneficial results. Has Armstead ever played 15 regular-season games in his career as he did this just last season?

I am hopeful that Armstead sticks with his new, healthy offseason program this year which could result in another more complete season this coming year.

I love Armstead and I believe he is a Top 5 LT. Football is an extremely rough and physical game so no matter conditioning, training, etc; players are going to get dinged up. I don’t believe Armstead is injury prone but playing in the trenches injuries will happen, not an if but a when. It also doesn’t help to have Peat the weak link next to him.

I think we draft a guard, possibly earlier, I think Peat will get overpaid by someone based on the fact that decent to above average offensive lineman are hard to find.
I think next year your looking at:

T- Armstead, Omameh
G- Easton, Tom
C- McCoy, Clapp
G- Warford, Rookie
T- Ram

When healthy Peat is a brute in the run game. But his deficiency as a pass blocker is just too great.

If Drew comes back, I expect the saints to go all out in free agency. They will probably sign the top guard and receiver available or draft them. Peat is good as gone unless he signs a cheap prove it deal.

We could, but Easton is a good quality back up.

I rather try to upgrade it with a top quality guard like Brandon Scherff

I'm guessing Peat will not be resigned. I think MIN exposed a major weakness for DB with that inside pressure and I hope we have an answer for it next season.

Also, did anyone notice if we made any gameplan changes against MIN as the game went on re: pass protection? ie: RBs chipping and/or staying in to block.

All good points. One problem with your post is when you say exposed, that’s not true at all. It has always been the key to stopping Drew Brees. Pressure up the middle. Everyone has known this since he has been here. So nothing was exposed.

Typically that’s why you see us have pro bowl caliber centers and guards look at the history of the Saints line since Peyton‘s been here. They put a premium on center, and guard play for that very reason. So while Minnesota certainly took advantage of it, it’s not something every team doesn’t already tried to do every game that we play. The difference is generally speaking we hold up pretty well in the interior line that’s why Brees being a short quarterback has not been a liability.

Peat Was never great but he has had stretches of being good. I don’t know if he’s injured, or if he’s regressed, but he certainly needs to be replaced

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom