can i have some organic folks on here? (1 Viewer)

kevin from buffalo

SR is my life!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
my diet has changed again. i am completely off of red meat outside of bison.she is now buying every other meat organic. instead of beef burgers,i like the farm fresh ground chicken and turkey.also,into juices v-8 fusion has a great jug..but it isnt cheap 4 dollars for 46 oz. 100 percent vit c in one glass..and no sugars added. all vegetable and fruit juice...even sweet potato :). i love sweet potato french fries.

also for the folks that watch what they eat and try the healthy life..try to get to your local fish counter..buy fresh tuna instead of the canned.

this is now ice tea season..get some tea bags and put into a large glass out in the sun for a few days..some sliced lemon in there..much better than that big jug of Arizona that has been sitting on a store shelf for weeks.

we also found out,instead of using table salt..try mrs dash. has a good flavor..hint of lemon.

again..for healthy living..let's remember to eat a few avocados a week..and fresh blueberries.

let's keep our bodies the best they can be.

p.s.-also for swelling in your feet..if you can stand straight up and put you hands out..for a few minutes a day have your knees hit your hands..do it twice a day..this will get the toxins out of your feet,they will move around your body..drink the proper fluids so you urinate those toxins out of your body.

p.s.s-i was also wondering if any of you folks have purchased a juicer? is it worth it..does it work well for you? we are thinking of getting one.

good luck

just had a bowl of sliced watermelon for a pre-meal. no seeds and sweet. california rocks.

could be the best watermelon season ever..no deep freezes this yr in the far west

I like to try and eat clean, but do it at a famer's market. Health food stores are just a massive rip off. I have to get my probiotics there and was in line infront of a lady who bought 4 small plastic bags of stuff like cereal, organic soaps, veggies and what not and her bill came to $96!!

Pulled off a random GIS:

What Do Those Codes On Stickers Of Fruits And Some Veggies Mean?

Here are the basics of what you should know:

1 If there are only four numbers in the PLU, this means that the produce was grown conventionally or “traditionally” with the use of pesticides. The last four letters of the PLU code are simply what kind of vegetable or fruit. An example is that all bananas are labeled with the code of 4011.

2 If there are five numbers in the PLU code, and the number starts with “8″, this tells you that the item is a genetically modified fruit or vegetable. Genetically modified fruits and vegetables trump being organic. So, it is impossible to eat organic produce that are grown from genetically modified seeds. A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be: 84011

3 If there are five numbers in the PLU code, and the number starts with “9″, this tells you that the produce was grown organically and is not genetically modified. An organic banana would be: 94011

Organic is a term WAY overused and abused.

I grow a lot of my own fruit and veggies all organically. My next choice is farmers markets, the organic is usually my last choice. My son has a juicer and loves it. I can't stand homemade juice like that. To each their own. I also rarely eat red meat, mostly chicken,turkey, and fish. Oh and bacon. Yummy yummy bacon. I also drink local beer if available too.

I grow a lot of my own fruit and veggies all organically. My next choice is farmers markets, the organic is usually my last choice. My son has a juicer and loves it. I can't stand homemade juice like that. To each their own. I also rarely eat red meat, mostly chicken,turkey, and fish. Oh and bacon. Yummy yummy bacon. I also drink local beer if available too.

Not to wizz in your fruit loops, but are the seeds/plants organic or are you maintaining them organically?

I am so completely full of chemicals I'm probably less biodegradable than a plastic coke bottle.

My wife and I do our best to eat organic and as little processed as possible. She buys weekly produce from a local market. Rouses is now offering a similar program. I still drink and eat fatty things. But I don't eat a lot of sweet things. And when I do it isn't sweetened by corn syrup. I rarely have a soft drink.

I feel better about all that stuff. But I'm still fat. :) What scares me more is all of the processed, chemically preserved and sweetened junk out there. That's all I used to eat growing up because it was cheap and convenient for my parents. I hope I can offer good food to my kids if we ever have any. I think a lot of stuff like diabetes wouldn't exist with some simple changes in diet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I love this thread.

I have been more aware over the last month or so, moreso than in the past, and I have really been keeping anything with preservatives out of my diet.

Its funny because I see Green Beans for 89 cents with Zinc Chloride in it, and the can next to it is the same price or maybe a nickel more and doesnt contain it.

Ive been just keeping my eyes open, keeping all things that are abbreviated or have (to preserve freshness/color) out of my diet.

It's still a work in progress because the fresh market is so expensive.

Any ideas on how to eat organically cheaper?

The best way to eat better is fresh or frozen. While it may be hard to go organic there will be many many less additives. Also cool from scratch. Takes a while to learn but I buy no prepared food anymore. The garbage they put in canned and prepared food is excessive.

v-8 fusion is good stuff but yes, it is expensive.

I expanded my garden this year and am very excited to have about 30 plants this year. Trying to keep it chemical free using Dr Bonner's soap and oil to fight the bugs. So far so good.

Regarding salt I've not heard of it being healthy. My wife has prehypertension and history of stroke in her family so we are currently using the DASH diet. Not that I'm a fan of diet flavor of the month but we are trying to eat more fresh fruits/veggies regularly and I'm trying to cut back on sodium. So far it's been tough but doing our best to cook without salt and other seasonings(crystal hot sauce/Tabasco) which contain sodium. Yeah going without salt isn't fun as I've grown up consuming/cooking with it. We are using Miss's Dash which is salt free and using more herbs for cooking. Also we gave up caffine, that was tough but used to it now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom