Can Jammal Branch handle the job? (1 Viewer)

I think Branch could be a good back and would love to see what he can do in a real game situation but not at long as he has Deuce and Reggie in front of him. I do feel like if Deuce went down for an extended period that Branch could do a better job filling in as a work horse type back than anyone else we have. As far as the diamond in the rough type backs that the NFL has produced the last few years, the only thing that seperates those guys from Branch is the chance. He could come in and fumble his first three carries or just flat out suck but until he gets the chance I don't think anyone should say he can't get the job done.

I think Branch could be a good back and would love to see what he can do in a real game situation but not at long as he has Deuce and Reggie in front of him. I do feel like if Deuce went down for an extended period that Branch could do a better job filling in as a work horse type back than anyone else we have. As far as the diamond in the rough type backs that the NFL has produced the last few years, the only thing that seperates those guys from Branch is the chance. He could come in and fumble his first three carries or just flat out suck but until he gets the chance I don't think anyone should say he can't get the job done.

couldnt of said it any better than that

Aaron Stecker is 28 times better than Branch. If Branch has to carry the load for us, we are in big, big trouble.

Aaron Stecker is 28 times better than Branch. If Branch has to carry the load for us, we are in big, big trouble.

Branch looked better in camp and Branch looked better in preseason. I'm not saying he is better than Stecker but I don't know how you can say Stecker is better if the only time we have seen them in similar situations Branch easily outperformed Stecker. IMO, the only reason Stecker made the roster is because he has NFL experience, is a much more versatile player than Branch, Stecker plays special teams and Stecker is not eligible for the practice squad. I think if Payton had to choose one player to take Deuce's role he would go with Branch until Branch shows that he can't get the job done. Now if Bush went down I think it would be a different story.

Branch is a preseason/camp star. There's a reason he's not on the active roster--he's not that great.

How in the world can you say that with any certainty. The man has not had an opportunity to play against the NFL's top tier. If he gets that chance, then we will be able to assess how great he is or is not. Until then, it remains unknown.

Branch might turn out to be something special, I just hope not any time soon; if you know what I'm hinting at.

I agree. He might, and he might not. I'm also in the number that would rather not find out this season.

How in the world can you say that with any certainty. The man has not had an opportunity to play against the NFL's top tier. If he gets that chance, then we will be able to assess how great he is or is not. Until then, it remains unknown.

You can make that argument about anyone sitting on the bench or that has been released.

The regular season is no time to put players on the field based on a maybe, or a "what if."

To me, he's an interesting player who ran through huge holes in preseason against third tier players. He did a nice jobe, but it wasn't spectacular by any means. He doesn't have exceptional power, speed or moves. Over the years, backup players have run crazy in preseason, only to find themselves unable to do anything against starters in the regular season.

I think Aaron Stecker is better in every way. Put Stecker on the field against the same players Branch ran against, and Stecker would look like Jim Brown.

You can make that argument about anyone sitting on the bench or that has been released.

The regular season is no time to put players on the field based on a maybe, or a "what if."

To me, he's an interesting player who ran through huge holes in preseason against third tier players. He did a nice jobe, but it wasn't spectacular by any means. He doesn't have exceptional power, speed or moves. Over the years, backup players have run crazy in preseason, only to find themselves unable to do anything against starters in the regular season.

I think Aaron Stecker is better in every way. Put Stecker on the field against the same players Branch ran against, and Stecker would look like Jim Brown.
Because we did not see Branch run against other teams #1's very much he is an unknown. I cannot say with any certainty if he is better or worse than Stecker. I haven't seen them run against comparable competition.

IMHO, if Deuce cannot go for an extended period, Branch seems to be the logical choice to replace him on the roster. It may be that you run Stecker and Bush for the most part, but then give Branch a few carries to see what he can do. If he is successful, give him more carries. If not, :dunno:.

And if Deuce is only going to miss a couple of games, Branch stays on the PS.

JMO.

Last edited:

QUOTE]

If that is the case then we should cut everyone on the practice squad and everyone that doesn't play. How is a player ever going to prove that he can play if the regular season isn't the right time, yet, if he lights up preseason he is labled only a preseason beast. Sounds like Haz.

That is exactly true, assuming that they haven't had the opportunity I describe. And that is precisely why it is innacurate to describe someone as "not that great" when they haven't had such an opportunity.

The greatness of someones talent in the NFL can only be asserted after they have had an opportunity to compete against upper tier talent.

So in effect... We don't know how great Branch would be, or not be. I'd rather not find out this season because it would mean that we had lost a key contributor.

Not to say that Branch necessarily replicates some degree of the success that Colston is enjoying, or for that matter, that Branch is even NFL starter caliber, but applying similar logic, it would have been just as easy to conclude that Colston couldn't compete on a regular sunday playing field.

We won't know how good Branch is unless/until he gets a chance to compete in regular season games. But I saw some things in preseason that indicate to me that Branch might very well get that chance for some team some day. He seemed to have good vision (I think the key difference in backs that make it and those that don't assuming some level of NFL-type ability) and a north/south runner who hit the holes hard. So while he's an unknown, I thought he did a really nice job with the opportunity he was given which at this point is all he could have done.

I agree with kd that if Deuce is out for an extended period, Branch looks to be the best fit to try and fill some of the void. At this point, I can't say that Stecker or Bush seem the best option to give the team an effective between the tackles running game without seeing what Branch might do in that capacity.

If nothing else, this all just reiterates how important Deuce is to this team.

These things are always educated guesses. One point of having the practice squad is that you bring along intriguing players that show promise.

Branch had his chances, as did Colston, Harper, Evans, Jamal Jones, etc. It's simply my opinion that when he was playing against backup players, he did nothing that dozens of other backup caliber running backs around the league did in preseason. Yes, he seems to have good vision and decent power, but you can say that about lots of aspiring NFL running backs. It just seems to me that fans always project abilities onto players they feel are unproven, that were cut or stuck on the practice squad--Chase Lyman, Mike Hass, any LSU linebacker, etc. There's a reason why Branch was released and Stecker was retained, or for that matter, an additional fullback and tight end.

If Deuce were to be shelved for an extended period of time, or for the season, I suppose it would make sense to put him on the active roster--but in no way do I see him as a solution to Deuce's injury--but rather a solution in the event that Stecker is injured.

To say that he just needed a chance like Colston doesn't make sense. Both had their chances, and Colston clearly distinguished himself, even in his little playing time during preseason. A better comparison might be made to Jamal Jones, who looked stellar in preseason, but has been unable to do anything in real game situations.

Hope we never need to find out.....Personally...I think the success we saw outta him during the preseason was due to him going up against the reserves...does he have potential...certainly...but as someone said earlier...there's a reason he's on the PS and not on the active roster...:9:

Agreed, but if this were to happen, I think he would need time to get accustomed to the play book and speed of in game live action. He might be overwhelmed his first few games. Eventually, I think he has it in him to succeed, but the line has to play its part and we have to play to his strenghts in the gameplan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom