Can Nnamdi get his groove back? (2 Viewers)

Common sense man. Roman Harper in Cover-2 zone = dreadful, while Roman Harper in tight man-man coverage = probowl.

Roman Harper supporting the run in the box and blitzing the QB = Pro Bowl.

His coverage skills, in any scenario, not something I like seeing.

If he cougars a young Jamaican man, he will. At least, it works in the movies.

Lol, a thread about Nnamdi getting his groove back turns into Can Harper get his groove back.

Fact: I could start a thread about where to find the best roast beef po boy in NOLA and it would turn into Roman Harper Hates Mother's Debris So Cut Him.

Harper never had a groove. He has one skill - safety blitz.

Roman Harper supporting the run in the box and blitzing the QB = Pro Bowl.

His coverage skills, in any scenario, not something I like seeing.
No offense :9:, but that's because you don't know what you are looking for. Harper is actually one of the better man cover SS's in the league. He does a really good job on TEs, and he plays great in the box. Some times, the other team just makes plays, but Harper is a solid man-cover safety with poor ball skills. He won't have a lot of INTs or PDs, but he is always draped over his man.

TCUDan agrees with me, and I trust his football brain over yours... by a mile. No offense :9:

EDIT: SaintSproles, please don't veer off topic as it is disrespectful to the OP. As such, I won't respond to any more of your snide remarks about me or Roman Harper. Thank you.

Lol, a thread about Nnamdi getting his groove back turns into Can Harper get his groove back.

Fact: I could start a thread about where to find the best roast beef po boy in NOLA and it would turn into Roman Harper Hates Mother's Debris So Cut Him.

I said scheme matters, to which SaintSproles contributed some snarky, petty response. Then, I used the analogy of Harper playing man-man coverage under GW and going to the probowl because it fit his playing style, yet under Spags' zone scheme, he didn't do well at all in coverage because it didn't fit his playing style. That's because scheme matters, and it is the same principle with Aso playing zone in Philly and press-man in Oakland.

just so you know, vilma played really well in the jets 3-4. his statement about playing in a 3-4 was way overblown. he was good, he just preferred a 4-3 at the time.....he has since mentioned being excited about the switch to a 3-4 in new orleans

back on the topic of the thread tho.....

asomugha played press man in oakland. he played on one side of the field...guarding whomever was on the outside on his side of the field

he wasnt like revis or many of the other top flight corners that just followed the #1 receiver whereever they lined up.

asomugha is a very talented corner and under rob ryan, who coached him in oakland, he should revitalize his career in new orleans assuming he is signed

Boundary side to be exact. In Ryans scheme its the side that gets the least amount of safety help so hes truly on an island. The safety rotates more toward the field side.

I think hell be a good pick up. Minimizes the need for a CB in the draft and it helps the passrush.

Im all for it.

I'm sorry man. I thought you would be able to piece the puzzle together. I'll spell it out for you.

I said scheme matters, to which SaintSproles contributed some snarky, petty response. Then, I used the analogy of Harper playing man-man coverage under GW and going to the probowl because he played so well, yet under Spags' zone scheme, he didn't do well at all in coverage. That's because scheme matters.

I think that should cover it... Let me know if I need to break it down further!

Peace bro, I wasn't talking about you. It's just funny how, if given enough time, every thread will devolve into a Harper debate. Take a breath man. :rant:

Peace bro, I wasn't talking about you. It's just funny how, if given enough time, every thread will devolve into a Harper debate. Take a breath man. :rant:

Sorry dude. I don't have a problem with you. SaintSproles annoys me, and for some reason, he decided to start something with me in this thread. Anyway, I lashed out at you for no reason, so that's my bad man. We're good.

No offense :9:, but that's because you don't know what you are looking for. Harper is actually one of the better man cover SS's in the league. He does a really good job on TEs, and he plays great in the box. Some times, the other team just makes plays, but Harper is a solid man-cover safety with poor ball skills. He won't have a lot of INTs or PDs, but he is always draped over his man.

TCUDan agrees with me, and I trust his football brain over yours... by a mile. No offense :9:

EDIT: SaintSproles, please don't veer off topic as it is disrespectful to the OP. As such, I won't respond to any more of your snide remarks about me or Roman Harper. Thank you.

Not sure what being draped all over your opponent and still allowing him to catch the ball because you have such horrible ball skills (one of the worst players in NFL history in that regard, mind you) equates to something you think is a great quality in him.

You keep clapping every time you see that happens. To each his own.

eb39103824cfdaedd7c0085c619b8842.gif

Nnamdi was always stiff. Most had him as a safety coming into the NFL. He excelled as a man cover guy in Oakland because Oakland had a huge commitment to press man coverage. Is very similar to Browner and Sherman, both of whom I think would be as bad as Nnamdi was in most other defenses.

But all three of those guys have the same things in common. Long, strong arms, the ability to lock onto and jam a receiver, the strength and reach to control the receivers routes physically down the field. Combine with good technique and a coaching staff committed to putting you in that situation, first Nnamdi and now Browner and Sherman have excelled.

The Eagles took Nnamdi off the LOS, which was a huge mistake. Without his physicality, his stiffness was exposed. He wasn't "horrible" at first, but he was disappointing. This past year, when he was truly awful, I think he just gave up.

None of this means you should be ready to pencil him into the 2013 pro bowl though, I don't think. He is older, maybe he has physically declined some. His confidence and psyche had to take a beating and honestly, outside of kickers, CBs are the biggest head cases in football.

But you can talk yourself into being optimistic I think.

Last edited:
Boundary side to be exact. In Ryans scheme its the side that gets the least amount of safety help so hes truly on an island. The safety rotates more toward the field side.

I think hell be a good pick up. Minimizes the need for a CB in the draft and it helps the passrush.

Im all for it.

Yeah. If you're running single high coverage, the FS I can only cover one side of the field. Part of the problem we had in 2011 is I don't think we trusted Greer to lock down his side like he had in the past, which used Jenkins deeper and more into the middle, to the point that he was 20 yards deep and often out of the play until it was 30 yards downfield.

Ultimately all of this means Roman Harper can play in the box where he belongs. If he can't have a good 2013 then he's toast. But I think he'll rebound.

I said scheme matters, to which SaintSproles contributed some snarky, petty response. Then, I used the analogy of Harper playing man-man coverage under GW and going to the probowl because it fit his playing style, yet under Spags' zone scheme, he didn't do well at all in coverage because it didn't fit his playing style. That's because scheme matters, and it is the same principle with Aso playing zone in Philly and press-man in Oakland.

Nnamdi was lined up in press coverage 54.5% of Philly's coverage snaps in 2012. Fourth highest in the NFL. Scheme wasn't his problem in 2012. He just wasn't very good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom