Can Nnamdi get his groove back? (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi was lined up in press coverage 54.5% of Philly's coverage snaps in 2012. Fourth highest in the NFL. Scheme wasn't his problem in 2012. He just wasn't very good.

Where are you getting that highly specific number from? In 2011 I know he had solid-to-good numbers in man and just awful numbers in zone.

No offense :9:, but that's because you don't know what you are looking for. Harper is actually one of the better man cover SS's in the league. He does a really good job on TEs, and he plays great in the box. Some times, the other team just makes plays, but Harper is a solid man-cover safety with poor ball skills. He won't have a lot of INTs or PDs, but he is always draped over his man.

TCUDan agrees with me, and I trust his football brain over yours... by a mile. No offense :9:

EDIT: SaintSproles, please don't veer off topic as it is disrespectful to the OP. As such, I won't respond to any more of your snide remarks about me or Roman Harper. Thank you.

Yeah I noticed..... if db x gives up a play and harper makes the tackle..... everyone in the superdome thinks harper blew coverage.

Have we talked about the cap hit we would get for cutting Harper this year vs. next year? Intriguing stuff.

On point, I do hope and believe that Nnamdi could benefit from a change of scheme and scenery. I trust Loomis and Payton. I'm working on trusting Rob Ryan even though I hate his last name. :)

I'm not going to pay for the premium site but I did look around. Funnily enough, Nnamdi was even better then I thought I 2011. 86 QB rating, 4 TDs, 3 INTs. thats really average but like I said, if you break the stats out to zone vs man, he was pretty good in man, awful in zone.

What interested me though was he was also the top CB covering the slot per PFFs metrics in 2011.

Slot Performance (CB)

For another layer of depth in coverage data, we’ve sorted out the snaps spent covering the slot and applied the same calculations as we did in the overall coverage section. So, here you’ll find who is spending the most snaps in that increasingly important nickel corner role as well as the targets they see and the receptions, yards, YAC, TDs, and INTs they surrender from the slot.

Past Slot Performance: QB Rating Against leaders:
2008: Charles Woodson (GB) 38.4 on 342 slot snaps
2009: Ty Law (DEN) 46.0 on 124 slot snaps
2010: Alphonso Smith (DET) 43.5 on 112 slot snaps
2011: Nnamdi Asomugha (PHI) 36.8 on 107 slot snaps
2012: Casey Hayward (GB) 41.2 on 226 slot snaps

As for 2012, I know the eagles meant to play more man, but I wasn't sure they necessarily out Nnamdi on the LOS. Either way, he didnt physically decline in the space of one year. I think he gave up mentally in 2012 and just checked out. Which, I'm not sure is more encouraging but there you go.

It's not like he's 34, he was 29/30 in 2012.

Regardless, in 2011, it was more zone, and last year, as SP eluded to in his press conference today with PFT, Nnamdi sort of gave up, along with the rest of the Philly team. Last year was a down year for every player on that defense, and Payton doesn't think anything of it. In his presser today, he said Nnamdi is still elite, and SP does his homework.

A few good reads on why Philly D, and the secondary did not do well as a unit.

Philadelphia Eagles: Why Nnamdi Asomugha and Asante Samuel Have Been Struggling | Bleacher Report

This next one was written by a gentleman (and huge eagles fan) from Pro Football Focus.

Analyzing Nnamdi Asomugha

Finally, looking at his performances in man coverage, Asomugha's clearly more comfortable when able to press. He gave up three plays of 20 or more yards and a pair of touchdowns when forced to play off. Both the Giants and 49ers used motion to prevent Asomugha from using his preferred technique, leading to big plays. In contrast, he held opposing receivers to just 11 receptions on 22 targets for 125 yards when pressing. Asomugha did give up a few plays but nowhere near as frequently.
I'm not trying to suggest Asomugha's a bad player; in fact he's clearly a very good press cover corner. The problem is that he's very one dimensional, which restricts the plays Juan Castillo can call, and can make it difficult to disguise coverages. It was probably a stretch predicting Asomugha would be able to adapt so quickly (without an offseason) when he had almost only played on the outside during his time in Oakland. He should play better in 2012 with the Eagles looking to use more press coverage and the time to learn the nuances of zone coverage.
I not here to suggest we are gonna get the all pro from Oakland, but we certainly will not get the train wreck in philly if we bring him in here to play under Ryan. I think he still has what it takes to play press man coverage as a RCB (boundry corner) in Rob Ryans system. 2011 was actually not a bad year when he was playing press man. I can not find the stats for 2012 anywhere, and have been looking (if someone could help me out I would gladly look into it and put something together analyzing his entire time in Philly, need a break down of Zone, Slot, off man, and press man in 2012, pretty much like the link above for 2011)

But Juan Castillo clearly had no idea what he was doing, trying to play zone schemes with one or 2 guys playing man coverage left GIANT holes in the zones and his entire defense suffered.

He will revert back to all-pro form the moment he puts his foot on the turf under a rob ryan-led defense

I think its a non issue. Big corners commonly thrive off of press coverage which is what he did in oakland and what he will do here. On the flipside though, they commonly struggle in cushion schemes, which is what he did in Philly and what we have done in the past.

But, back to Vilma (I know we are talking about Nnamdi) the Saints are going to a 3-4... the same defense he (Vilma) couldn't play with the Jets. Hmmm.

Risk/Reward at his new salary make it worth taking a chance.

But, back to Vilma (I know we are talking about Nnamdi) the Saints are going to a 3-4... the same defense he (Vilma) couldn't play with the Jets. Hmmm.

I think there is a reason we cut his base salary to 1 million. I don't see him starting at ILB over Hawthorne or Lofton.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom