Can Rob Ryan fix poor tackling? (1 Viewer)

Saintuary

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
We have a known history of poor tackling. I sometimes wonder how many games we've lost because of the inability to bring somebody down without allowing a first down or even touchdown.

At the pro level tackling should not be an issue so, what will/can RR do to turn the poor tackling around?

I think Night Train Lane would be arrested and removed from the field in todays' game.

Do we have a tackling problem or is it the defensive schemes we use?
Whatever it is, it has to be addressed NOW. I think RR just might be the man.

Tackling can be a mystery. I drool watching SF play defense because they allow nothing after they contract the runner. It's something else.

Now as to what causes it I think personally it's some teams do a better job scouting players who can tackle better than others. It's the same way some (us) find receivers who have excellent body control and can adjust to the ball well.

I'm sure somehow coaching or style play into it only because it seems to be contagious on some teams.

I once heard that good tackling is contagious, once a couple players start tackling well then the team will perform better as a whole. Of course getting our best players on the field will also help.

Ryan's defenses havent been great at tackling so I dont expect it to change.

Sent from phone via Tapatalk

I think it can be fixed. Threaten their jobs. Stop trying to "lay the wood" and learn to wrap again. It's a lost art.

A funny thing - I remember a report from early last season that was discussing what Spags was doing to fix the defense at that time. He said that our defense's biggest problem was poor tackling technique - going for the strip or the kill-shot instead of a clean wrap-up - so they spent several days just going over fundamentals with tackling dumbies.

Obviously this was ultimately futile, because our defense continued to mostly use poor tackling technique (except for Curtis Lofton, David Hawthorne, and Cam Jordan IIRC (and despite often going for the big hit and whiffing on a tackle, Roman Harper somehow ranked first in tackles made by a safety. Try figuring that out.)) and was absolutely terrible for it throughout the season.

Yeah i think the big hit mentality didn't leave when 3G did.

Can Rob Ryan fix poor tackling?

Sorry, poor question. At this level, either you've learned to tackle or you just can't. If you are in the NFL and can not tackle, someone made a terrible call in drafting you.

What I wouldn't give for a Sam Mills type tackler... If he got his hands on a guy , they were going to the ground.

Can Rob Ryan fix poor tackling?

Sorry, poor question. At this level, either you've learned to tackle or you just can't. If you are in the NFL and can not tackle, someone made a terrible call in drafting you.

Of course the poor tackling situation is compounded because of the new NFL Heads-UP program.
So, at the pro level, players are being told to change what they've been taught or face a fine for an illegal hit.

Tackling in the NFL will turn into the Brian brothers Chest Bumps.

Ryan has a chance to fix it but it won't be by reteaching these guys how to wrap up, he will have to just put then in a better position to make the play. Our players have repeatedly made bad angles on plays that lead to failed arm tackles. We need to 110% be in better positions to make the tackles

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom