Can someone enlighten me on how compensatory picks work (1 Viewer)

Joalgo

Under construction....
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, since Johhny Patrick got picked up off waivers so quick and with no tag being placed on Bushrod will we get an picks for JP and possibly Bushrod if he decides to sign elsewhere? In this draft or the next?

I dont think anyone (including the people who award the picks) understands how compensatory picks work. ><

This might help.

The formula the NFL uses to determine compensatory picks - draft picks slotted at the end of each round starting from the third and extending to the seventh is both complicated and hidden. The basic gist of it is teams are rewarded compensatory picks in the draft after the season they lose a player to free agency. The level of that pick depends on several factors, including salary, playing time and postseason honors of the player leaving, and the value of any player the team signs in free agency.
NFL Compensatory picks: Formula unknown, but past picks suggest Steelers could take in a few in 2014 - Behind the Steel Curtain

Johnny Patrick was cut, not lost in free agency. He doesn't factor into compensatory picks. If Jermon Bushrod is signed by another team than based on his salary and future production he may would yield us a 2014 draft pick.

In order for the Saints to get any compensatory picks however, they essentially have to lose more in free agency than they get, I.e. have more free agents signed away for more money than they sign themselves.

What do we get for losing Our pro bowl guard Carl Nicks in free agency? I'm sure his highness Goodell will take good care of us. Right

What do we get for losing Our pro bowl guard Carl Nicks in free agency? I'm sure his highness Goodell will take good care of us. Right

We signed Ben Grubbs, Curtis Lofton, Hawthorne, etc.

You have to lose more than you sign in order to get comp picks. We might get a comp pick this year, I have no idea what the math is, but it's going to be close. I wouldn't expect much.

We signed Ben Grubbs, Curtis Lofton, Hawthorne, etc.

You have to lose more than you sign in order to get comp picks. We might get a comp pick this year, I have no idea what the math is, but it's going to be close. I wouldn't expect much.

couple articles have been posted showing that we don't get any.

For the last few years we've signed at least what 4-5 people in FA every year. While losing close to the same amount.

Since it appears we like to load up in FA so we can draft the BPA in the draft i don't see how we will ever end up with compensatory picks because we always end up signing just as many guys as we lose in FA.

If Goodell has any say we won't get ****

Sent via Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom