can someone explain to me why that was an illegal touch?? (1 Viewer)

sidwin

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
in the beginning of the game morestead punt and the ball went to the 5 yard line and we picked up the ball and that drew a penalty. can someone explain that to me? I always thought that was the goal was to run down the field and down the ball.

Thanks,
Sid

If a gunner steps out of bounds during the play at all he CANNOT be the first person on the field to touch a kicked ball.

If a gunner steps out of bounds during the play at all he CANNOT be the first person on the field to touch a kicked ball.

ok... didn't know that he stepped out... so in theory he could have just left the ball there and we would have had them stuck on the 5.

I was at the game, and could not figure out why the ball wasn't placed inside the 5. The referee said nothing about the player stepping out of bounds. Granted, it was pretty loud at that time, but the referee said something about the player touching the ball inside the 5. I was trying to figure out what type of (stupid) new rule they had come up with.

Given it hit the Steeler's player first, who's ball would it of been since our guy who touched it first was ineligible and there was no clear recovery?

Given it hit the Steeler's player first, who's ball would it of been since our guy who touched it first was ineligible and there was no clear recovery?

Wouldn't that make the Steeler the first to touch the ball and the gunner is now eligible to recover the fumble?

Wouldn't that make the Steeler the first to touch the ball and the gunner is now eligible to recover the fumble?

Yes. If they had reviewed and seen the ball hit the returner first it would have been our ball inside the 5.

I was screaming my head off in the stands to challenge the play. It happened right in front of me and I surely thought that it touched a Steeler before we recovered it.

Hit Steeler's shin first and there for Saint player was not first to touch after going out of bounds, also should have been Saints ball.

Yea when the ref only said illegal touching and didn't mention the player stepping out of bounds, I thought there was a new rule where you couldn't down a punt if the ball was inside the 5 yard line. I was about to quit the NFL :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom