Can someone explain to me with the consistent issues of WR quitting on routes or not trying to get open in scramble drill. (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Re-watching the game

I never seen anything like this to be such a frequent problem for an NFL team. A lot of not finishing the play or weak effort. Multiple times.

Then, on scramble drills.. A lot of the time... WR aren't even trying to get themselves open when the play breaks down.

Winston shouldn't have to be pointing to guys to get open multiple times a game.

In fact, the only thing I should have to worry about is Winston making off target throws or bad reads.

Every play IS a musical chair of what can go wrong. Winston struggling to find rhythm, Oline Struggle, or Skill players struggle. Then, your QB gets out of rhythm and loses composure. It's frustrating.

This whole skill player effort issue compounding our offense with a new QB is unacceptable. Especially, a QB that still isn't a finished product and has to get better. He can't get better under those circumstances.

I didn't record the game, if anyone hears of this game airing on NFL Replay, give a shout out, please!

Curtis Johnson has had some great natural talent land in his lap, but developing unknown players hasn't really happened in a while. May be time to move on from stale coaching.

Re-watching the game

I never seen anything like this to be such a frequent problem for an NFL team. A lot of not finishing the play or weak effort. Multiple times.

Then, on scramble drills.. A lot of the time... WR aren't even trying to get themselves open when the play breaks down.

Winston shouldn't have to be pointing to guys to get open multiple times a game.

In fact, the only thing I should have to worry about is Winston making off target throws or bad reads.

Every play IS a musical chair of what can go wrong. Winston struggling to find rhythm, Oline Struggle, or Skill players struggle. Then, your QB gets out of rhythm and loses composure. It's frustrating.

This whole skill player effort issue compounding our offense with a new QB is unacceptable. Especially, a QB that still isn't a finished product and has to get better. He can't get better under those circumstances.
The biggest issue I see that needs fixing yesterday, is WR's running the wrong routes.
This is happening multiple times a game where WR's are caught running the same routes or within 5 yards of each other.

This is unacceptable in the NFL.

We really need to trade for a WR at this point.

Re-watching the game

Some of that pointing was JW trying to deceive the defenders between him and his first down marker.

The biggest issue I see that needs fixing yesterday, is WR's running the wrong routes.
This is happening multiple times a game where WR's are caught running the same routes or within 5 yards of each other.

They been running into each other since week one. At the point... I take it for what it is...

For starters (no pun intended), TQS had no business in this game, much less being a starter!

Smacked of favoritism since he clearly wasn't ready to play mentally! (It was like it was his first camp and had no clue what he's supposed to do, much less actually do it.)

And... JW waits/thinks WAY TOO MUCH!

(Not trying to put it all on JW since his o-line is suspect and his WR's are dropping too many balls, etc)

Some of that pointing was JW trying to deceive the defenders between him and his first down marker.
I think you're reference his pump fake on the QB run. I was referring to the deep crosser that Winston threw in the wide open space and WR decided to jack all.

Bro, these are NFL players that have been football for the majority of their lives. If they aren't able to run a route, the coaching needs to step up and resolve the issue.

Curtis Johnson has had some great natural talent land in his lap, but developing unknown players hasn't really happened in a while. May be time to move on from stale coaching.
Or draft actual talent at the position and stop giving him reclamation projects or UDFA players

I think you're reference his pump fake on the QB run. I was referring to the deep crosser that Winston threw in the wide open space and WR decided to jack all.

There was one of his runs where he was dramatically motioning to something and it was pretty apparent that he was taking off. 3rd quarter I think.

Or draft actual talent at the position and stop giving him reclamation projects or UDFA players
It bothers me because a lot of it just comes down to simple effort. I'm. Not even asking for a crazy play. Learn the playbook and finish the freaking play. It's week 7 man.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom