Can someone please explain PT situation to me? (1 Viewer)

people are so sold on this guy after one game?!! He showed he can play in this league yeah; but he has had one game, we still have to see him put multiple games together, how consistent is he going to be after going against different defenses game in and game out all trying to stop him, that's what Reggie is struggling with, if Pierre can't do it we will be talking about him like the Reggie bashers talk about Reggie.

Not saying he cant do it, I'm looking forward to seeing him get his chance, but the PT lovers talk about him like he's a sure thing.....and that's obviously yet to be seen.

Last edited:
It's because he could not pick up the blitz. A RB has to do more than run. IIRC, Brees got sacked 3 times in the Chicago game. A lot of that was PT's inabililty to pick up the blitz.

Failure to pickup the blitz is why lots of rookie RB's don't get playing time. Deuce had the same problem as a rookie. But, it's something that can be corrected with playing time, experience and work. You just hope your franchise QB doesn't get hurt in the process.

So, it wasn't some big conspiracy about Bush, or Payton not knowing that PT might be a better runner than Stecker, it was a sound football decision. And, when the rest of the RB's were hurt, he was forced to play PT full time and take the chance that Brees would get hurt because PT failed to pickup a blitz.

I'm not saying there is some sort of conspiracy... just saying he seems to be a better back than Stecker. I was confused why they didn't play him more... but if he indeed did have problems with certain things then thats probably why and I thank you for pointing it out. I don't believe in conspiracies though.

people are so sold on this guy after one game?!! He showed he can play in this league yeah; but he has one game, we still have to see him put gee together, how good is he going after different defenses game in and game out all trying to stop you, that's what Reggie is struggling with, if Pierre can't do it we will be talking about him like the Reggie bashers talk about Reggie.

Not saying he car do or, I'm looking forward to seeing him her his chance, but the PT lovers talk about him like he's a sure thing.....and that's obviously yet to be seen.

He played in more than one game... every game he did play in he did great I recall.

HAHAHA@ Pierre was not ready last year, hopefully he is ready this year

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHA

Did you see the blitz pickups he missed in the Chicago game? If you can't pickup the blitz, you're not ready to start. As I already said, a RB has to do more than run.

Youve got to be kidding me, you think that little of this organization?

I have nothing but the highest regard for this organization.

I "think that little" of Reggie Bush's behavior. Not showing up at workouts and sweating with the O-line was not in the organization's or his best interest last year. Banging him against huge LB's wasn't either.

It's not all Reggie's fault. When an organization pays a single player that much, putting that many eggs in 1 basket, it makes for some interesting politics. The FO and coaches want to protect their investment, some of the other players may expect him to work harder and perform better.

To his credit, he is trying to make it right this year. I'm pulling for him 100%, but I hope he "earns it" this year.

Last edited:
When your running game is struggling, you are more apt to go with Old Reliable than you are with the young guy. Payton was on record saying that PT wasn't recognizing blitzes or picking them up. That limits what you can do on offense. The last game of the year we ran a lot of screens and swing passes to get the ball out of Drew's hands quickly to slow down the blitz, but we couldn't have gotten away with that more than a game or two.

Stecker ran for 100yds twice during his tenure as the starter. He did a very good job. PT also did a good job when he got to play. He just had to wait his turn.

people are so sold on this guy after one game?!!

Make that 16 games plus pre-season.

I wasn't so much impressed by what he did as how he did it. He looked like a pro running back that could hit the holes and break tackles. He looked very smooth and comfortable, with no sign of hesitation.

Not saying I'm totally sold on PT, but I was more sold on him than Reggie and Stecker. Not only that, but most rookies get (Check one) ____Better ____Worse after their rookie season. :scratch:

It's because he could not pick up the blitz. A RB has to do more than run. IIRC, Brees got sacked 3 times in the Chicago game. A lot of that was PT's inabililty to pick up the blitz.

Failure to pickup the blitz is why lots of rookie RB's don't get playing time. Deuce had the same problem as a rookie. But, it's something that can be corrected with playing time, experience and work. You just hope your franchise QB doesn't get hurt in the process.

So, it wasn't some big conspiracy about Bush, or Payton not knowing that PT might be a better runner than Stecker, it was a sound football decision. And, when the rest of the RB's were hurt, he was forced to play PT full time and take the chance that Brees would get hurt because PT failed to pickup a blitz.

I think St.Widge hit the nail on the head. Most of us judge RB's by total yards and average yard per carry. They have other responsibilities. I remember a pre-season game where Antonio Pittman missed a block and Payton let him know about it. It's probably one of the reasons that Pittman was released.

Stecker is a great team guy and a very good blocker. Remember Reggie's first TD on the punt return where Stecker completely took out the guy downfield who was in position to make the tackle? RB's have to be able to pick up the blitz, and then they have to be willing to make the hit. Stecker contributed more than PT could in terms of experience and blocking. And Stecker's yards were nothing to spit at.

At the time, we still had a chance to make the playoffs, but the chances were slim. Payton and staff went with the guy who could make the bigger contribution to the whole team, rather than just in number of yards.

That said, PT will get there.

PT is atleast third on the depth chart. What else do you need to know?

I'm sure this has been discussed over and over, but I've yet to understand why Stecker is considered a better back than Thomas. All the games I've seen so far with Thomas he seems to do a better job. Is it that he can't keep up that level of play throughout the game? Someone please explain, ty.

Remember Wilmont Perry? He looked like Bettis for a short short period. He's not playing for anyone anywhere.

I agree with the guys pointing out PT's shortcomings in blitz pickup. You don't get on the field if you can't block. Some guys take time to pick that up.....others don't (Reggie for example) Curtis Keaton couldn't get it at all after several seasons.

When people want to rip on a guy like Reggie, it could be a good idea to remember this debate. Reggie came in as a rookie and learned as much about an offernse as a qb would need to. Running game, passing game, blitz pickup and read adjustments.

I know, i was just giving my opinion to who was a better returner between PT and AS.

Pass Protection for a Rookie is hard and the last thing we could afford is to lose Drew. Ithinkthat played a huge role in the decision to play Steck more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom