Can someone please explain PT situation to me? (1 Viewer)

fwaokda

I'm sure this has been discussed over and over, but I've yet to understand why Stecker is considered a better back than Thomas. All the games I've seen so far with Thomas he seems to do a better job. Is it that he can't keep up that level of play throughout the game? Someone please explain, ty.

Stecker has much more experience. He is also a top Special Teams performer and actually the captain of the Special Teams.

PT is just young. I would say most on here consider PT the better pure RB with much much more potential but Stecker is just a guy you can count on to be just what he is, a very solid backup. Stecker has clearly earned the respect of the coaching staff. PT still has a lot to prove, I hope he gets that chance because he has always excelled when given that chance.

I'm sure this has been discussed over and over, but I've yet to understand why Stecker is considered a better back than Thomas. All the games I've seen so far with Thomas he seems to do a better job. Is it that he can't keep up that level of play throughout the game? Someone please explain, ty.

I get a sneaky feeling that PT was held back last year for no good reason. Most coaches go with the hot hand, but I think Payton didn't want to shake Reggie's confidence.

I get a sneaky feeling that PT was held back last year for no good reason. Most coaches go with the hot hand, but I think Payton didn't want to shake Reggie's confidence.

PT didn't get playing time even after Reggie went out for the last 4 games. It wasn't until Stecker got hurt that he was put in.

PT didn't get playing time even after Reggie went out for the last 4 games. It wasn't until Stecker got hurt that he was put in.

Thats what I thought also. Just doesn't make sense... my gut tells me we will see much more of him this season and hopefully Bush will get to play more of a receiver type role. I'd like that very much :ezbill:

And Stecker had answered with a couple of nice performances, against Atlanta and Arizona, when getting the nod. Then there was the Eagles game, a loss and Stecker injured, and Thomas had the good game against the Bears.

And Stecker had answered with a couple of nice performances, against Atlanta and Arizona, when getting the nod. Then there was the Eagles game, a loss and Stecker injured, and Thomas had the good game against the Bears.
Thank you. Stecker wasn't exactly chopped liver last year. He was pulling off some good performances and he is a veteran as opposed to PT being an undrafted rookie. I think going with Stecker was what most coaches would have done, regardless of Reggie's confidence. Hindsight is 20/20.

Youve got to be kidding me, you think that little of this organization?

Thats what I thought also. Just doesn't make sense... my gut tells me we will see much more of him this season and hopefully Bush will get to play more of a receiver type role. I'd like that very much :ezbill:

It's because he could not pick up the blitz. A RB has to do more than run. IIRC, Brees got sacked 3 times in the Chicago game. A lot of that was PT's inabililty to pick up the blitz.

Failure to pickup the blitz is why lots of rookie RB's don't get playing time. Deuce had the same problem as a rookie. But, it's something that can be corrected with playing time, experience and work. You just hope your franchise QB doesn't get hurt in the process.

So, it wasn't some big conspiracy about Bush, or Payton not knowing that PT might be a better runner than Stecker, it was a sound football decision. And, when the rest of the RB's were hurt, he was forced to play PT full time and take the chance that Brees would get hurt because PT failed to pickup a blitz.

I just hope PT makes the roster this year. I would hate to see him go to another team. Everyone saw what he could do so he will be scooped up faster than...something that gets scooped up really fast.

PT deserved his spot in the RB rotation in my opinion and he showed that he can be a good ST. He wasn't a great KR but he was adequate.

It's because he could not pick up the blitz. A RB has to do more than run. IIRC, Brees got sacked 3 times in the Chicago game. A lot of that was PT's inabililty to pick up the blitz.

Failure to pickup the blitz is why lots of rookie RB's don't get playing time. Deuce had the same problem as a rookie. But, it's something that can be corrected with playing time, experience and work. You just hope your franchise QB doesn't get hurt in the process.

So, it wasn't some big conspiracy about Bush, or Payton not knowing that PT might be a better runner than Stecker, it was a sound football decision. And, when the rest of the RB's were hurt, he was forced to play PT full time and take the chance that Brees would get hurt because PT failed to pickup a blitz.

Exactly! Payton has no problems starting rookies who know the plays and can deliver on Sundays.......lookk at Colston. Pierre was not ready last year, hopefully he is ready this year.

HAHAHA@ Pierre was not ready last year, hopefully he is ready this year

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHA

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom