Can Taysom Hill Ease Your Anxiety About Him With A Couple Of Wins And Good Games? (1 Viewer)

tonythesaint

Pro-Bowler
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Diego, CA by way of McComb, Mississippi
We have discussed Taysom Hill ad nauseum over the last couple of weeks, but for good reason. I know you are probably thinking not another Taysom Hill thread, but I haven't seen this question addressed directly. I phrased the question this way just to make it shorter and I know it might be a little confusing. The question I really wanted to ask is "What would Taysom need to do over the next couple of starts to make You feel more comfortable with him being the starter in the future. This is a question everyone will have to ask and answer for themselves. Just doing a basic assessment of posts on SR it seems people's opinions of Taysom's abilities are all over the place. There are some that seem to think he is already the heir apparent to the GOAT, there are some who believe he needs to make vast improvements in many areas to play the QB position, and there are some who seem to think he will never be an NFL QB. Please try to keep this civil, but I'm really interested to know, what is it going to take for Taysom to make you feel better about him being able to guide this ship, hopefully only for the next few weeks. We can discuss next season and beyond later, but let's get this Lombardi first and then figure it out!!!!

Two starts are not enough data, so to speak, to evaluate whether or not Taysom is the future at QB for the Saints. I think he has a lot of upside, even though he is not a young QB anymore at 30, but he also still has a lot to prove, particularly with making his reads quicker and getting the ball out instead of taking sacks and with ball security. He is a real threat as a runner, can laser the ball in to the receiver when he's in rhythm, is incredibly versatile, and has a great attitude. It's hard to imagine a more energetic or grittier QB. You can tell his enthusiasm rubs off on his teammates. Right now, all I care about is us winning a Super Bowl. There will be time enough to figure out whether Taysom should be our starting QB after this season.

We’ve got people here that were complaining about Drew, several seasons ago. Some folks refuse to be happy no matter the situation.

IMO, QBs get evaluated over seasons, not games. The really bad ones can be spotted quickly but I think you’ve got a guy in Taysom that you‘ll need to evaluate over time.

At this point, I am solely focused on this season and what it can bring. I simply want him to perform adequately enough to win games.

It's as if something in me won't even allow me to concern myself over what next season will bring, so on my end, there is no anxiety over the future. I'm not saying my way of going about this is right or wrong, I'm just saying that's the way I'm doing it.

Two starts are not enough data, so to speak, to evaluate whether or not Taysom is the future at QB for the Saints. I think he has a lot of upside, even though he is not a young QB anymore at 30, but he also still has a lot to prove, particularly with making his reads quicker and getting the ball out instead of taking sacks and with ball security. He is a real threat as a runner, can laser the ball in to the receiver when he's in rhythm, is incredibly versatile, and has a great attitude. It's hard to imagine a more energetic or grittier QB. You can tell his enthusiasm rubs off on his teammates. Right now, all I care about is us winning a Super Bowl. There will be time enough to figure out whether Taysom should be our starting QB after this season.
I completely agree. I posed the question because in the minority there were 2 extremes, either they were ready to hand over the keys to the franchise today or Taysom will never succeed. The majority
are on the fence so I wondered what it would take to sway them.

At this point, I am solely focused on this season and what it can bring. I simply want him to perform adequately enough to win games.

It's as if something in me won't even allow me to concern myself over what next season will bring, so on my end, there is no anxiety over the future. I'm not saying my way of going about this is right or wrong, I'm just saying that's the way I'm doing it.
I completely get it. I believe I started the thread projecting my own anxiety about what if Drew doesn't come...... I'm not even going to finish that for superstitious reasons, but you get what I'm saying. So I started to think for me what would make me feel better about the team going forward this year with Taysom as the starter. So basically what could Taysom do to ease my anxiety LOL!!!

Exactly. Taysom is the backup QB. We should all be hoping he can win all the games he plays until Drew returns. End of story. He gets the same consideration Patrick Robinson gets when he was forced into action as the starter, "I hope he can just hold on long enough for the starter to return."

I don't think the wins and losses are what people are looking at. They are looking to see if he can read a defense, if he can go through his progressions, and if he can get the right pass out on time and accurately. The are looking to see how he deals with the pressure and the blitz. In short, execution. If the play calling is bad, but the execution is good, we are fine. If the play calling is so good it covers for bad execution, we are not fine.

I don't think the wins and losses are what people are looking at. They are looking to see if he can read a defense, if he can go through his progressions, and if he can get the right pass out on time and accurately. The are looking to see how he deals with the pressure and the blitz. In short, execution. If the play calling is bad, but the execution is good, we are fine. If the play calling is so good it covers for bad execution, we are not fine.
Add not fumble.

Exactly. Taysom is the backup QB. We should all be hoping he can win all the games he plays until Drew returns. End of story. He gets the same consideration Patrick Robinson gets when he was forced into action as the starter, "I hope he can just hold on long enough for the starter to return."
I believe that is partly what the huge disconnect on this board is when it comes to Taysom. Many people like yourself and me simply want Taysom to keep the ship afloat and win all the games he is starter, regardless of his mechanics or any other issues. Some others seem to be so focused on his ability to replace Drew in the future, they lost site of this season and it almost appears as if they are rooting against him. Taysom's failure means team failure and then we all lose! I want wins and I don't care who the QB is.

I think we need to see more of him with games that aint gameplanned like the broncos game.

Then what I want to see from him is consistency! I dont mind if he is under 70% completion, but to see him getting consistent numbers every game makes it a lot easier to figure out what we got in him.

Ball security is a major point. And he will need to prove that he can throw and play the QB position in a more traditional style other than the wildcat playcalls.

In his first start, he had the element of surprise against the Falcons. In his second start against a Broncos team with zero offense and a respectable defense, he didn't look nearly as good but was still effective at moving the offense down the field. Also, Payton was supposedly limiting what he could do offensively in the last game. Between those two starts, it seems impossible to get a clear picture as to what Hill can do as the starting QB. I think this upcoming Atlanta game should provide a better picture for us.

I'll settle for a couple of touchdown passes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom