Can The AAF Become Legitimate Competition To The NBA? (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I didn’t know whether to put this in the SSF or EE board, so please move if necessary.

For the past week, a lot has been made about the AAF beating the NBA in the TV ratings Saturday night. Part of it was being on CBS. The St. Lake/Arizona game on the NFL Network only got about 400,000 viewers.
It’s only been a week, but the AAF has gotten positive reception from Week 1, unlike the XFL in 2001, who got eviscerated after the first game.
Now keep in mind it’s only been a week, but could the AAF eventually replace the NBA as the second league in the country.
TNT has the afternoon game before All Star Saturday and another AAF game will be competing against the NBA.
So if everything holds steady and they decide to put more AAF games on CBS or TNT in 2020, could the NFL development league take the NBA’s place?

Maybe but not likely. Too few teams.
There was a curiosity factor at play this weekend and that’ll continue a bit longer. Lets see how the numbers look 5 weeks from now when the new car smell wears off.

Maybe but not likely. Too few teams.
There was a curiosity factor at play this weekend and that’ll continue a bit longer. Lets see how the numbers look 5 weeks from now when the new car smell wears off.
The real test will be if the AAF can hold its ratings and interest during March Madness. If they can do that, there’s no limit for the league.

I can only speak for myself. After M J retired the first time I lost interest in the NBA. I was a big follower of the NBA back then when it was the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Bulls and Pistons. I could probably name about three NBA players now. The agree with the idea of give it time and if they can get the exposure that it needs. I disagree with the early Saturday game being broadcast on the paid Barstool network (am I getting that right?).

I can only speak for myself. After M J retired the first time I lost interest in the NBA. I was a big follower of the NBA back then when it was the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Bulls and Pistons. I could probably name about three NBA players now. The agree with the idea of give it time and if they can get the exposure that it needs. I disagree with the early Saturday game being broadcast on the paid Barstool network (am I getting that right?).
Some future games will be on Bleacher Report Live if that what you’re talking about.

There's a strong novelty factor: "hey look football on TV in February!"

The test will be whether people want to watch a watered-down product that will have an overall skill level better than an average college game, with zero of the emotional content. The CFL's brief forays into the US failed miserably, and to be fair neither the USFL nor the XFL really "caught on."

I can only speak for myself. After M J retired the first time I lost interest in the NBA.
Me too. Now when you say "retire" are you talking about when he left after his dad was murdered or after his 2 3-peat? I came back when Jordan returned from baseball.....in fact, I remember seeing the news when it was announced that he was coming back. I can remember that day as well as I remember that damn kick sailing through the uprights to send the Saints to the superbowl. I retired again when Jordan left the 2nd time. I was sorry he came back with the Wizards.

I think it has legs. It is highly capitalized to play the long game and there is a demand. A nationally televised NFL preseason game can approach or exceed the ratings for an NBA or MLB playoff game. That is a fact. People continue to underestimate the appetite for professional football in this country.

You need to start thinking about it like Europe. For instance, in Britain there is the Premier League soccer and the lower tiered English Football League and they co-exist just fine. Why? Partially because of their promotion and relegation system along with shared tournaments, which no doubt helps; but also because people can't get enough pro soccer. Same with football in America.

I've never watched either one, but I see NBA on the TV all the time (games, discussions, highlights, commercials). To date, the only place I've ever seen or heard anything about AAF is on this board. Based upon that, I seriously doubt it.

The NBA is too rich in history, memories n is even somewhat traditional to many including myself. The All-Star break n holiday lineups, along with the playoffs n finals, are annual events in millions of households, . The games this past Christmas for instance were very entertaining. It's gonna take more than an NFL extension league to challenge all that

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom