Can the NFL ruin our Christmas any further? (1 Viewer)

Hiya RJ

The only time the NFL had control over a flex schedule was during negotiations w/the networks. After the contract is signed, it is the individual network that makes the determination of which games to flex. It's akin to saying the NFL has an "indirect" control over a players salary, because of the cap limit. Once the ink is dried, both sides got "what they wanted" & stepped away w/the agreed upon controls.

That has nothing to do w/the actual individual games that are flexed(which is what fans complain about). No conspiracy, just profit incentive. It also puts to rest the "disrespect" card. The Saint's have been shown to a larger audience, w/the network assuming a better viewership.

All that said, I still can't watch the game on tv. (thanx James, for your efforts in bringing light to the hinterlands!).

WHO DAT!
A

What does Benson have to do with the game being flexed? If you don't want to go I'm sure the Tampa bandwagoners will take'em. See Denver, and Oakland games. Anyway I still plan on going and supporting my Saints even on Christmas Eve even if it makes me a little late to hear my drunk family members at the party.

He has nothing to do with the game getting flexed but if/when there are thousands of empty seats he might clue in to the fact that big changes are needed.

As described in a post above by Icon, if we were fighting for the division title I'm sure many, many ticketholders would find a way to attend, Xmas Eve or not, flexed or not. I am in that number. Now I'll be giving away my tix to this game.

Just curious, how do you know that losing hasn't got Benson's attention?

Nobody that has a role in football operations has been fired since Rob Ryan. (We're 8-11 since then.)

Seem like he's just gonna let it roll.. same with the Pelicans.

I could be wrong, of course, just my opinion.

Nobody that has a role in football operations has been fired since Rob Ryan. (We're 8-11 since then.)

Seem like he's just gonna let it roll.. same with the Pelicans.

I could be wrong, of course, just my opinion.

Can't say I disagree.

Classic picture for the boys and girls:

resize

huh,your saying the Saints game attendance rules over family and a one a year gathering of special value???....dat ain't right...:jpshakehead:

No. I'm saying the other 31 fan bases and national media would be the vocal majority, not Saints fans. What he is billing as some type of protest would simply look like fair-weather fans to the rest of the country. The dome is packed to capacity when they're winning...and empty when they're not. We'd laugh at the Falcons if the roles were reversed. We'd point and laugh and say, "they can't fill their stadium" and not, "shame they had to play a late game on a holiday." There would be no empathy. No unified disgust at the time change. No hopes that the NFL "gets the message". It would just be funny to laugh at a weaker fan base.

To address the rest of your post, I'll echo what several others have said. If the Saints were 13-0 or sitting on top of the division or fighting for a playoff spot, Saints game attendance would rule over family and a year gathering of special value. It's not right. I agree. But, it would. Let's not pretend that the state of the team isn't factoring into everyone's decision. People would go. People who couldn't go would be able to sell their tickets...to people who would go. There's no right or wrong here. I respect the decision that people with tickets will have to make. It sucks that they have to make one for a ticket purchase they made under different circumstances. My point was not the decisions that have to be made, but the appearance of the results that will be made. And make no mistakes about it, Saints fans will only coming out looking bad if the Dome is empty. That's what I'm saying.

No. I'm saying the other 31 fan bases and national media would be the vocal majority, not Saints fans. What he is billing as some type of protest would simply look like fair-weather fans to the rest of the country. The dome is packed to capacity when they're winning...and empty when they're not. We'd laugh at the Falcons if the roles were reversed. We'd point and laugh and say, "they can't fill their stadium" and not, "shame they had to play a late game on a holiday." There would be no empathy. No unified disgust at the time change. No hopes that the NFL "gets the message". It would just be funny to laugh at a weaker fan base.

To address the rest of your post, I'll echo what several others have said. If the Saints were 13-0 or sitting on top of the division or fighting for a playoff spot, Saints game attendance would rule over family and a year gathering of special value. It's not right. I agree. But, it would. Let's not pretend that the state of the team isn't factoring into everyone's decision. People would go. People who couldn't go would be able to sell their tickets...to people who would go. There's no right or wrong here. I respect the decision that people with tickets will have to make. It sucks that they have to make one for a ticket purchase they made under different circumstances. My point was not the decisions that have to be made, but the appearance of the results that will be made. And make no mistakes about it, Saints fans will only coming out looking bad if the Dome is empty. That's what I'm saying.

I don't think it's quite that simple though. A lot of people still wouldn't be able to go because, priorities. If the Saints were at the top of the standing, no doubt a lot of people might opt to attend, but I do think just as many would end up selling their tickets to someone else who want to attend. It's just with the team being where it is now that the value of tickets have dropped such that many will wind up eating their tickets and/or giving them away. Hence ending up with a lot of empty seats. This in no way is a reflection on the fan base IMO. Other teams might call us fair weather based on what they see on TV, but they would be wrong without knowing the full backstory.

The NFL and the networks have to give more time for people to plan if they're gonna flex, particularly during the holidays. The smart thing to do is to eliminate flexing during the holidays and they won't have to deal with the blowback of fans being mad about wrecking their holiday plans, which are often set months in advance.

I don't think it's quite that simple though. A lot of people still wouldn't be able to go because, priorities. If the Saints were at the top of the standing, no doubt a lot of people might opt to attend, but I do think just as many would end up selling their tickets to someone else who want to attend. It's just with the team being where it is now that the value of tickets have dropped such that many will wind up eating their tickets and/or giving them away. Hence ending up with a lot of empty seats. This in no way is a reflection on the fan base IMO. Other teams might call us fair weather based on what they see on TV, but they would be wrong without knowing the full backstory.

The NFL and the networks have to give more time for people to plan if they're gonna flex, particularly during the holidays. The smart thing to do is to eliminate flexing during the holidays and they won't have to deal with the blowback of fans being mad about wrecking their holiday plans, which are often set months in advance.

There's a difference between what you said and hoping no one shows so that it will "send a message".

There's a difference between what you said and hoping no one shows so that it will "send a message".

Thank you. I don't think he read what I wrote all the way through. I specifically stated that I wasn't talking about anyone's decision process or faulting them for it. I was stating that it would definitely NOT be sending the message he thinks it will.

Thank you. I don't think he read what I wrote all the way through. I specifically stated that I wasn't talking about anyone's decision process or faulting them for it. I was stating that it would definitely NOT be sending the message he thinks it will.

Well, I guess I said what you said then. :hihi: It's all good. :9:

The overall interest in this game will only be slightly more than the 2005 Christmas Eve game vs. Detroit.......which was in the Alamodome.

It was one of those rare times as a Saints fan that I absolutely had no interest in trying to watch or at least listen to the game in real time. My perspective at the time was that they had thrown in the towel by benching Aaron Brooks.....so I had no real reason to plan my Christmas Eve around them.

Unlike late 2005, at least we have legit reasons for thinking we can be better next season. Things were looking pretty hopeless back then...

Houston plays Christmas Eve night and I've have yet to see people whine on their forum about missing a couple of hours of family time. An empty dome is going to send no message regardless. If you rather get drink with the crazy aunt I'm sure there is someone that would like to go so don't let them go to waste . Also we have no room to complain with the "More Tampa fans than Saints fans", and "Mile High Dome" threads.

For those who can't go consider donating the tickets to VETTIX. Many military members stationed in or around the gulf coast might not be able to go home for Christmas so this would be a nice distraction. Who Dat! we are flying in from NY to see the game and an empty dome would be sad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom