Can The Packers Fire Mike McCarthy? (1 Viewer)

From your links...

“It wasn’t a big, earth-shattering announcement or a big move,” Payton insisted. “Functionally I can give Pete a play, and he can get it into Drew [Brees] just as quickly as I can get it to Drew directly. And yet if I’m managing the game or paying attention to what just happened on a punt return, we’re far enough along in this process where it’s easy for us.”

“It is a week to week thing,” Payton said. “Pete and I communicate each week on how we want this game to unfold. . . . I thought it went very well [Sunday]. I will still be very much involved in a handful of those calls and so it is an operation for us, this is year 10 or 11 now that we will just handle week to week. It was not a big earth shattering announcement or a big move, it was really, functionally I can get Pete a play and he can get it into Drew just as quickly as I can get it into Drew directly. And if I’m managing the game, or paying attention to what just happen on a punt return, we are far enough along in this process where it is easy for us.”

Carmichael is in his 11th season working for Payton....

So Payton designs the plays, makes the sheet that lays out exactly what to call in any given situation, then during the game Payton tells Carmichael what to tell Drew.

So yeah, Carmichael calls the plays.

My best friend is a Packers fan and has been calling for his head for as long as I can remember.

With all due respect to your friend.......have you seen some of the ideas/suggestions over the years from some of the Saints fans on this forum?

He needs to do what Sean is doing and just let his OC call the plays.

They began last season with the OC calling the plays and they didn't do too well, so McCarthy started calling the plays again. The production pretty much stayed the same with either calling the plays.

From your links...

So Payton designs the plays, makes the sheet that lays out exactly what to call in any given situation, then during the game Payton tells Carmichael what to tell Drew.

So yeah, Carmichael calls the plays.

Exactly. I don't see what is so blasphemous in saying that Pete calls the plays. It is what it is.

But I digress. I could see McCarthy being let go, heck Hasslett let him go to SF because his play calling in New Orleans had gotten stale. It seems logical that a team would move on from a coach once things went stale.

Pretty sure it's not McCarthy's fault that his QB for 1.5 seasons can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn anymore.

Truth is Rodgers has always had some bad mechanics (never setting his feet, taking way too many sacks, not trusting his line even when he has a clean pocket) and opposing teams are figuring it out.

I didn't want to start a new thread, and this one seems very established, and prime for rehashing.

I think MM is gone after this year. He is just not cutting it any more.

I would disagree, but the Packers did through a few coaches during Favre's time as QB.
Side note. Will that mean Sean is the last one standing from the '06 class of new coaches.

I would disagree, but the Packers did through a few coaches during Favre's time as QB.
Side note. Will that mean Sean is the last one standing from the '06 class of new coaches.

10 years is a long time. The idea that more than one from that group are still coaching with the same team goes against the odds.

If we ended with a 2-14 record I would think Sean would be out the door.

MM has done very little over the last 2 seasons to warrant fans trust, and even Aaron Rodgers is growing tired of MM.Packers' loss has McCarthy, Aaron Rodgers at a crossroads - NFL.com

I'm not saying MM is gone, but like Sean, 1 SB in 10 years buys you a few years, but that time is growing thin.

McCarthy's in a bad spot. When you have a slumping superstar like Rodgers, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't unless your choices (whatever they may be) work out. He'll be second guess no matter what happens. If he hits the open market, his unemployment won't last long. A team like the Colts (with a young QB) would be smart to give him a call.

Slumping Aaron Rogers and I don't know how many RBs on the IR... Not a good situation.

the difference between Payton & McCarthy is that the Saints are on the upswing and the Packers are declining.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom