Article Can the Saints Remain Competitive after Re-Signing Michael Thomas? (1 Viewer)

I don't think you could argue against him being overpaid. He has not performed near his pay grade. I'd like him on the team just for less money. I don't value him as a swing tackle much either. Bushrod was an improvement as a backup tackle for very cheap. I will have a much bigger issue paying Peat 4 year 40 mil next year than Thomas 4 years 72 mil. People will probably point to the larger Thomas contract but the Peat one is probably costing you more money. You could have an average guard for 5-6 mil per year. You can't get a top 5 WR for much cheaper than that.

Similarly, people would point to Brees contract as holding us back in lean years. Numbers popped up with not being able to win if you pay a QB "x" amount of money. The real issue with the team was dead money, overpaid players and bad drafting though.
I've had this debate about Peat's salary before and I think it doesn't take into account the difference between what we might think his market value is versus what he would actually cost to effectively replace in free agency.

Right or wrong, finding a comparable guard in free agency would have been as much as Peat's one year average, thanks to the inflated value being placed on players who can play tackle. Easton isn't that player right now.

The Saints likely see this year as the option to rent him for one more year while they see if they can turn to someone cheaper without a noticeable drop off. They can do that without committing to a large signing bonus or lengthy contact, all while maintaining some consistency from a player who knows the system well.

And Bushrod isn't that player any more, so he's not a basis for comparison. The market is thin so the decision to keep Peat is relatively sound. Yes, $9m sounds like a lot in a vacuum, but it's not when you look at the alternatives and what they cost.

I've had this debate about Peat's salary before and I think it doesn't take into account the difference between what we might think his market value is versus what he would actually cost to effectively replace in free agency.

Right or wrong, finding a comparable guard in free agency would have been as much as Peat's one year average, thanks to the inflated value being placed on players who can play tackle. Easton isn't that player right now.

The Saints likely see this year as the option to rent him for one more year while they see if they can turn to someone cheaper without a noticeable drop off. They can do that without committing to a large signing bonus or lengthy contact, all while maintaining some consistency from a player who knows the system well.

And Bushrod isn't that player any more, so he's not a basis for comparison. The market is thin so the decision to keep Peat is relatively sound. Yes, $9m sounds like a lot in a vacuum, but it's not when you look at the alternatives and what they cost.

I think we could have improved the position for 9.6 mil based on what guards are paid. That includes using some of that to sign a backup tackle. Every FA guard but one signed for under 7mil per year. Most were in the 5mil range. Every one of those I looked at graded better than Peat. Some much better.

That said, I'm not against a one year overpay. Especially after losing Unger. Having two new interior guys in what could be Drews last year may have not been smart.

Unless Peat takes a big step forward this year and becomes a consistent player, I can't get behind paying him that long term. I think last year was a down year for him but he has never had sustained success at guard and isn't good enough at tackle that you want him to be the primary backup. Considering we had a player beat him out as the backup tackle for around 1-2 mil I don't think it's worth that much that he can do it.

Last edited:
It really wasn't Drew that slowed down towards the end of the year last year, it was the entire offense. It took Ginn a few to get back to his old self, TQS suddenly couldn't catch a cold, the OL injuries were piling up, etc.

Drew definitely slowed down with the rest of the offense, but I seriously doubt that he was the cause. Just a shirt storm of problems that all came on at once.

Yeah the entire offense seemed to hit a wall. But Drew was just, idk...off. His ball placement and even some of his decision making was some of the most un-Drew like play we've seen since 2012.

Normally I would just write it off as slump or whatever but considering his age you never know. At some point he's not going to be superhuman anymore.

Thanks for the extra info. I agree there are few absolutes in team building, but I do disagree with the example/solution you suggested (although you may not be too wedded to it as an idea). I think the importance of Peat on this team is consistently underappreciated by a number of forum discussions. I'd be looking for another way to recoup cap room than weaken the OL, until someone clearly supercedes Peat as starting Guard and swing Left Tackle.

Thank God someone else feels the same way I do.

I feel like I've been Peats advocate on Saints Report for years now.

Drastically underappreciated by our fans when hes healthy.

Alot of people only like to remember the bad times and or games he has had. I must say he has been pretty consistent the last couple years when hes healthy.

If it wasnt for Peat, that O Line would have been in a lot of trouble many times when Armstead was out with an injury

As much as I love Michael, my opinion, however unpopular, is that if we sign him to a 20mil per contract, we are in for a long bad stretch as I dont see how we will be able to afford all of the other players that will need their contracts upped, or replaced. Man, I hope Im wrong...I really do, but that is where my pessimistic mind sets. :)

How competitive the Saints are has a lot more to do with the future at the quarterback position than it does how much money a receiver makes. And if not the QB position, the defense.

The real question (IMO), is how many of our young superstars can we keep? If Thomas is looking at 20 million... How much is Lattimore going to cost? Kamara? Ramczyk? Rankins? Bell? Williams? Heck, even Onyemata is going to be up for a pay raise soon. Then at some point we're going to have to pay or pay to replace Cam and Armstead.

The best case scenario for us would be to find a way to pay all of our young stars, and then absolutely kill the next 4 or 5 drafts. Because once we start actually having to pay for the super-talents we have, we won't be able to afford to bring in guys like Demario Davis, Larry Warford, Jared Cook, etc... As far as free agents are concerned, we'll be stuck to signing place-holders and role players... or talented players with health risks.

And speaking of health, when your team is top heavy talent and cap-wise... that pretty much guarantees you won't be very deep. So the importance of staying healthy goes up a few notches.

You pay @Cantguardmike. You keep him here. We have a good O line. Any decent QB will get him the ball. AK41 is still on this team. We have some super core of young talent, and some very good role players. You don't break up the band. I was sad to see MI go, but in all honesty, he was the most expendable on the field. Now, his leadership and locker room presence, you can't buy that.

Thomas will get his $$$ but without a solid QB or one hell of a defense, I can only see trades in the future or x amount of players signing elsewhere after paying Thomas. Graham got his paycheck and he was gone what a year later? Unless a new CBA brings in new cap ideas I dont expect alot of favorites to be on this team after 2021

I see a similar scenario where the Cardinals paid Larry Fitz, but have managed, pretty much, to avoid the playoffs. It probably isn't Fitz's fault though. More the fault of them signing some pretty awful QBs between Warner and Palmer.
The Saints, with some creative accounting, should be able to pay most of their young stars, as long as they keep drafting as well as they have. And as long as they don't make the same, QB, mistakes as Arizona did.

Unless they really believe Teddy B can be the future, then I think they need to get creative, now, rather than wait until Drew calls it a career.

Last edited:
I'm far too cheap to ponder these kind of questions. My shed is filled with short lengths of wire and used screws that I've taken out of things but keep in case I can use them. It's became obvious to me over the years that I don't have the capacity to spend money when I need too.:p

That being said we can't win if we have 1 great player and 11 of the okayest players on the field.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom