Article Can the Saints Remain Competitive after Re-Signing Michael Thomas? (1 Viewer)

If we can keep Lattimore, kamara, OL and DL. I really hope we can keep Marshon because he’s the key to the defense. But he’s going to want top dollar. And he deserves it.

A big question about keeping the young stars we have is are they truly team leaders? Successful teams require veteran leadership who are in sync with the coaches. They bring the work ethic and competitiveness to the offseason training, workouts, camp and of course the games. High caliber team leaders cannot be underestimated in value. That's why we just re-signed Cam. Cam is essentially the on-field coach of the defense.

I suspect Thomas is one of those team leaders the coaches love for his work ethic, toughness and play in games. Regardless of who the QB is, these team leaders are like coaches on the field and have huge impact on the younger players. If we can't keep all our young stars for cap reasons, I am pretty certain SP and Loomis will keep the leaders and trade or let go the ones who are not leaders.

I've had this debate about Peat's salary before and I think it doesn't take into account the difference between what we might think his market value is versus what he would actually cost to effectively replace in free agency.

Right or wrong, finding a comparable guard in free agency would have been as much as Peat's one year average, thanks to the inflated value being placed on players who can play tackle. Easton isn't that player right now.

The Saints likely see this year as the option to rent him for one more year while they see if they can turn to someone cheaper without a noticeable drop off. They can do that without committing to a large signing bonus or lengthy contact, all while maintaining some consistency from a player who knows the system well.

And Bushrod isn't that player any more, so he's not a basis for comparison. The market is thin so the decision to keep Peat is relatively sound. Yes, $9m sounds like a lot in a vacuum, but it's not when you look at the alternatives and what they cost.

The coaches and FO are making moves this year to replace Peat at guard. McCoy or Easton can play guard. Tom, Clapp and a few others plus some huge athletic UFDAs being brought in for guard are the FOs attempt to make Peat expendable unless they feel his versatility to back Armstead is critical when Armstead gets injured.

Have we made moves this offseason to back Armstead with other cheaper players than Peat? If so, the handwriting is on the wall

The coaches and FO are making moves this year to replace Peat at guard. McCoy or Easton can play guard. Tom, Clapp and a few others plus some huge athletic UFDAs being brought in for guard are the FOs attempt to make Peat expendable unless they feel his versatility to back Armstead is critical when Armstead gets injured.

Have we made moves this offseason to back Armstead with other cheaper players than Peat? If so, the handwriting is on the wall
They have given themselves an option to replace him, not this year, but next year.

And no, the Armstead back up back up plan behind Peat isn't apparently on the roster. So Peat will still be needed.

They have given themselves an option to replace him, not this year, but next year.

And no, the Armstead back up back up plan behind Peat isn't apparently on the roster. So Peat will still be needed.

Good stuff UK! Thanks much. I think you are spot-on. So Peat is necessary to backup Armstead this year. But if we find a quality backup to Armstead, Peat will likely be playing in different colors next year.

Well almost. Someone still has to replace Peat at guard who can do the job well, and it also depends on the market for Peat in 2020 free agency. Lots still to be determined

Of course you sign him. Cause you can always move him if you decide to allocate cap space in a different way. With a monster contract u probably only net a 3rd rounder but great player and will get assets in return if have to move him

Huh?
I wasn’t calling anyone out
Not even close to that
I just think it’s helpful to remember that the people making these decisions are in this 24/7
Doesn’t mean we can’t discuss it
Doesn’t mean they’re infallible
just adding some perspective that gets overlooked from time to time
Yo! Bests watch it bro!...aight bro!

Shoot....bro!

If we want to do a mini rebuild once Brees retires I could go for trading MT for a first and a third. That could give us the draft capital to get a new young QB and put the team in a better long term cap situation.

Good stuff UK! Thanks much. I think you are spot-on. So Peat is necessary to backup Armstead this year. But if we find a quality backup to Armstead, Peat will likely be playing in different colors next year.

Watched the Eagles-Saints Playoff game last nite. Peat almost single-handedly cost us that game. He had 4 penalties, all at key times. 3 holding calls, one that wiped out a 40-yard plus TD from Taysom Hill to Kamara. And an inopportune time for motion penalty. He struggled the whole game.

To his credit, the Eagles front-4, actually 6 D-linemen they were subbing the entire game from play to play to keep fresh, are monster athletes: big, strong and very physical, some with speed.

I am sure SP saw those penalties. Whether Peat has the skill to be a top guard in the NFL is one question. But making mental errors like he did repeatedly in a playoff game is something I doubt Coach Payton will forget. I suspect his days are numbered when we find someone to backup Armstead.

For those of you that know, do we have anybody in camp capable of backing up Armstead effectively this year? Bushrod was not the answer last year.

Watched the Eagles-Saints Playoff game last nite. Peat almost single-handedly cost us that game. He had 4 penalties, all at key times. 3 holding calls, one that wiped out a 40-yard plus TD from Taysom Hill to Kamara. And an inopportune time for motion penalty. He struggled the whole game.

To his credit, the Eagles front-4, actually 6 D-linemen they were subbing the entire game from play to play to keep fresh, are monster athletes: big, strong and very physical, some with speed.

I am sure SP saw those penalties. Whether Peat has the skill to be a top guard in the NFL is one question. But making mental errors like he did repeatedly in a playoff game is something I doubt Coach Payton will forget. I suspect his days are numbered when we find someone to backup Armstead.

For those of you that know, do we have anybody in camp capable of backing up Armstead effectively this year? Bushrod was not the answer last year.
I think what you may have to remember when looking at the Eagles game is that Peat was playing hurt, and he was playing only because he was still better than what else we had available. It was a quality opponent, with strength in depth at DL as you point out. They weren't mental errors, he was physically impaired.

I dare say SP will know all these things and so won't be jumping to the same conclusion as you.

But I hope that Easton reduces/removes the need the need to play a clearly injured Peat in those circumstances again.

I think the thing you may have to remember when looking at the Eagles game is that Peat was playing hurt, and he was playing only because he was still better than what else we had available. It was a quality opponent, with strength in depth at DL as you point out.

I dare say SP will know both those things and so won't be jumping to the same conclusion as you.

But I hope that Easton reduces/removes the need the need to play a clearly injured Peat in those circumstances again.

Thanks much UK. Didn't realize Peat was hurt.

That Eagles D-line was impressive. They were rotating 6 physical monsters and basically shut down the middle with Ngata and other big dudes while consistently applying pressure from the edge.

If memory serves Peat wasn't merely hurt, I believe it was reported he was playing with a broken hand....when Peat is healthy he is a versatile player, an all Pro level G and a very capable LT....the Saints may well not decide to pay him in the end but if they don't I think it will be tougher to replace him than most think....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom